X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Mar 2004
    • Northern NJ, USA.
    • BT3100

Dutch Doors?

Any chance on making a current door (oldish) into a dutch door? The current door is a panel door, not as in Luan, but as in sold wood frame (1.25" x 5", generally) all around, with a 1/4" panel for the center part of the door. Thus, it kinda looks like a giant picture frame.

I'd imagine I'd cut the door on the table saw at the right heighth, select wood for the new bottom (of the top part) and top (of the bottom part) and then route a 1/4 groove in that wood to accept the panel. I'd obviously have to do some math in order to know how much of the frame to remove but not of the panel (in order to allow for the new structural members to fit properly.

But It also seems this would get rather trickey with some sort of mortise an tenonry joints or half lap joints. This, in turn, might require taking the whole **** thing apart? Which is now starting to make me think the whole matter would take a lot longer than expected and also turn out to a whole fiasco?

any thoughts, ideas? anyone with experience?

curt j.
    A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

If you went for a rebated closing, the new rails would need to protrude above (on the bottom) and below (on the top) the existing stiles, which would call for some very accurate joinery - either slotted tenons or half-laps. Either of those joints would allow the panel to locate only if you removed sufficient stile in the first place. Trying to cut slotted tenons with the existing panel in place will be fun (not!).

I think I'd have a look at taking the whole thing apart and starting over, using M&T's throughout. Don't forget the extra pair of hinges!

Sounds like a ton of work - possible, but not simple. Good luck.

Ray.
    Last edited by RayintheUK; 06-05-2006, 10:26 AM.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Just thinking...
      as you describe it, The door is currently made with solid rails and stiles
      1.25" than 5" wide. A 1/4" panel is in the center.

Assuming the door is to go back into the same place,
      you'll need to cut it in half through the stiles and panel.
      Then you'll need to trim 5" off the bottom of the top half and 5" off the top of the bottom half. and put new rails on them both.
      Will the panel(s) slip out once the door is cut? If so then it should be easy to make the required cuts to final size. If not, it looks to be tricky.

The new rails can be double-biscuited and glued.

Matching any routing on the interior of the rails and stiles might be tricky... or not.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...