• Show
Clear All
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Replacing the motor

Some time ago I posted the a question here about a chipper/shredder that needed a new motor. Thanks to your help and with certain difficulties but I got a new motor over the Internet. It's a 6hp motor, the original was 4hp, but the chipper is designed to support up to 8, so that should be fine. The next problem is that in order to replace the motor I need to remove the pulley off the shaft and that thing would not come off without specialized tool. I am a woodworker, not an automechanic and I don't have a 3-jaw puller. I know I can buy one at Sears or at HF but I hate to buy a tool, use it once and get stuck with it forever. What would you do?
    Alex V
  • liqdfire
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    • BT3100

Originally posted by vaking
    Some time ago I posted the a question here about a chipper/shredder that needed a new motor. Thanks to your help and with certain difficulties but I got a new motor over the Internet. It's a 6hp motor, the original was 4hp, but the chipper is designed to support up to 8, so that should be fine. The next problem is that in order to replace the motor I need to remove the pulley off the shaft and that thing would not come off without specialized tool. I am a woodworker, not an automechanic and I don't have a 3-jaw puller. I know I can buy one at Sears or at HF but I hate to buy a tool, use it once and get stuck with it forever. What would you do?

Personally, if it still saves me a lot of money buying the tool and I am only going to use it once, I would do that. I would consider the purchase of the tool just another part in the cost of the total job and not concentrate so much on the fact that I will probably never use the tool again. I am buying it for one purpose and one purpose only and if it serves that purpose and still saves me money from either not having to pay someone the labor cost to do the repair or the cost of new equipment then I feel that the tools is worth the one use.

Afterwards you can either keep the tool and have lost nothing or try to sell the tool and have gained everything. Not that I would condone this but you might also be able to use the tool and return it.

Comment

• GeekMom
      • Dec 2004
      • Bonney Lake, WA.
      • Shopsmith Mark V

You might check with local auto parts stores to see if they will let you borrow or rent a puller. My husband is an auto/aircraft/race truck mechanic, and we've found that seldom-used tools are often available if you ask. The selection can vary by store or chain.
      Karen
      <><

Comment

• just4funsies
        • Dec 2005
        • Florida.
        • BT3000

You beat me to the punch, Karen! Most auto supply stores have loaners for pulling gears, steering wheels, ball joints, and such. You may have to front them a small deposit, but you get it all back when you return the tool.
        ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by GeekMom
          You might check with local auto parts stores to see if they will let you borrow or rent a puller. My husband is an auto/aircraft/race truck mechanic, and we've found that seldom-used tools are often available if you ask. The selection can vary by store or chain.
          that was going to be my suggestion, also.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

if you have a local bearing shop (i.e motion industries) a new pulley might be fairly cheap. at work, where time is money, pulleys don't get reused unless the come off easily. they can be a real bear to remove even with pullers.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• 91FE
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

Yep. Head to AutoZone...they'll hook you up.
              I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                if you have a local bearing shop (i.e motion industries) a new pulley might be fairly cheap. at work, where time is money, pulleys don't get reused unless the come off easily. they can be a real bear to remove even with pullers.
                yeah and since you have more power, get a somewhat larger motor pulley and speed it up!

Arghhhh! Arghhh!
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• vaking
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

Thanks for the auto-store advice - will try autozone today. Unfortunately I have to remove the pulley even if I don't reuse it. There is an elaborate mounting bracket involved and the only way to take old motor off that bracket is by removing a pulley or cutting the 1" diameter motor shaft. Speeding the thing up sounds attractive but very scary. The chipper already claims to be the fastest in its class at least for its age (3600rpm on a motor with 1:1 going to chipper shaft). There is a manual lever type transmission to tighten the belt which might have to be redone for different pulley. And I don't know specs for bearings inside the chipper, they might not handle well higher speed.
                  Alex V

Comment

Working...