• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tank21
    Handtools only
    • Feb 2004

Brick over existing cement Patio

Hello,

I currently have an exisiting cement patio, and my wife likes the look of bricks.

Can I use the existing cement patio as a base to lay the brick down??? What would I need to put between the brick and cement patio??

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
  • rg32
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Barre, Vermont, USA.

You could just set them in sand or even use a construction adhesive doing the joints with mortar but I wouldn't do it these way myself.
    Just use a masonry mortar and I would make sure the existing concrete is cleaned well and then use a concrete adhesive first (common and available at HD etc.) before the layer mortar and laying the brick.
    After everything is set up and cleaned use a concrete sealer for protection as well as to make it look better.
    Last edited by rg32; 04-26-2006, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• GeekMom
      • Dec 2004
      • Bonney Lake, WA.
      • Shopsmith Mark V

From This Old House website:

"A mortared pavement provides a flatter, longer-lived surface, but it's harder to put down. Here, a crushed-stone base is topped with a 4-inch-thick concrete slab. Once the concrete cures, the pavers are pressed into a 1/2-inch-thick mortar bed troweled onto the slab. The 3/8-inch spaces between them are filled with mortar."

Additionally, Lowes has 6 examples of decorative brick patterns on their website.

The height of the brick needs to be taken into account if other architectural features (ie. a threshold or gate) are involved, too.
      Karen
      <><

Comment

• wreckwriter
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • South Florida
        • BT3100-1

Yea, it going to raise the floor level a lot... Maybe they make thin bricks, like brick veneers?
        http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by wreckwriter
          Yea, it going to raise the floor level a lot... Maybe they make thin bricks, like brick veneers?
          Oh yeah, just resaw them on your bandsaw....
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by wreckwriter
            Maybe they make thin bricks, like brick veneers?
            You mean like this? Wouldn't use them for a patio, though - they'd crack in a heartbeat.

Over here, we would lay the limiting course (the boundary or perimeter of the area) in mortar, then 4" of sand, raked level. Lay the pavers then compact with a flat-plate vibrator. Finally, sweep jointing sand between the pavers to lock them into place. I did a shared driveway with my neighbor several years ago and it still looks great - hard work, though!

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• TheRic
              • Jun 2004
              • West Central Ohio
              • bt3100

You definitely can put brick on concrete. I put brick steps at the back door, goes onto the patio. I had the choice of layering the brick up, or pouring concrete up as a base. Went with the concrete as the base.

We just put in a new patio in the back. We wanted the brick look. We looked into putting down brick, stamping colored concrete with a brick pattern, or pouring concrete and etching / staining it to look like brick. We decided to go with the poured concrete and stamping it since we (my brother and me) had experience in doing this.

If your existing concrete is in decent shape, you may want to consider this. The top will not be as rough / uneven as brick which may be a plus. But it still will look like brick. Mix a little other stains here and there so it’s not a solid color. Helps it look more nature. The True Value store near me have various patterns you could rent, and other equipment that you could rent to help get the job done.
              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...