• Show
Clear All
  • wreckwriter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • South Florida
    • BT3100-1

Getting rid of sensitive documents

Hi guys, I have a question I'm hoping you guys can help me with. Its off topic but you all seem pretty knowledgable on a whole bunch of subjects so maybe someone has a good idea for this:

I have a large quantity (big garbage bag full) of old bank records and other sensitive documents I need to get rid of in a reasonably secure manner. I have only a little 2 sheet shredder so if I go that way I'm looking at multiple hours of extremely dull work and a lot of shredded paper. I cannot burn them, I'm in the burbs and you just can't burn stuff here. I cannot find a document disposal company that will just do a single batch, they all want to do ongoing contracts.

Any ideas?
    http://www.wreckwriter.com/
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

for about $20-30 you can buy a shredder that will do four or five full size sheets and cross shred them. Also has reverse for jams. That's you best bet. Any big office supply store or electronics store will have them.
    Goes pretty fast when you can do 4-5 at a time and not picking jams out.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rickd
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
      • Ryobi BT3100

hi,

i second loring's idea of a good cross-cut shredder for about $25. it will also come in handy for years to come.

if that doesn't appeal to you, then you might want to try looking up 'paper shredder' companies in your area instead of 'document disposal' companies. although they seem to be the same, there is a subtle difference. document disposal companies are into long-term storage and retention of documents and have pretty high overhead. shredding companies on the other hand only get rid of stuff.

if there is a 'paper shredder' business near you - they usually take anything large or small.
      rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• Copper
        Established Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Madison, WI.
        • BT3100

Our bank has a couple of days a year when people can bring in their sensitive documents to be shredded for free. You might want to check around and see if any businesses do the same in your area.
        - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
        and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• 91FE
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

Go ahead...break the law. Just do it safely. Your fire will be out within 10 minutes. Then go buy a 10-12 sheet cross-cut so this doesn't happen again.
          I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

How small of a batch? As paper burns quick, you'll have to add more to keep the fire going, to BBQ your ONE hot dog, since your out of charcoal!

Otherwise, do you know of anyone which a leaf shredder? I would even consider calling the fire department, to see if they would offfer any lessons on using an extinguisher, and supply a trash can fire example.
            Need to do any spray painting? you need a dropcloth.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• wreckwriter
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • South Florida
              • BT3100-1

Thanks for the tips guys. I considered doing the fire but I don't have a metal drum or other container to do it safely and I don't want hot ashes flying all over the place. I'll check the yellow papers under "paper shredding".

Comment

• wreckwriter
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006
                • South Florida
                • BT3100-1

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                How small of a batch? As paper burns quick, you'll have to add more to keep the fire going, to BBQ your ONE hot dog, since your out of charcoal!

Otherwise, do you know of anyone which a leaf shredder? I would even consider calling the fire department, to see if they would offfer any lessons on using an extinguisher, and supply a trash can fire example.
                Need to do any spray painting? you need a dropcloth.
                Its a big garbage bag full.

Comment

• havighurst
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2004
                  • Metamora, MI, USA.

There are companies who do this. You could check the yellow pages. When I moved, I contacted a company called "Shred it" and they have a big truck that came to my home and they shred it right in front of you. I think it cost me about a hundred bucks. This was the same company that my employer used to destroy it's confidential information. Once you factor in the cost of a shredder and your time, this may be an option.

www.shredit.com/
                  \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• Tequila
                    • Aug 2004
                    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

One of the local TV stations here runs a campaign about once a year where they drive to different neighborhoods with an high-capacity shredder in an RV. They run a bunch of news stories about identity theft during the month they're operating it. You might want to find out if any of the media outlets in your area have plans to do something like that.
                    -Joe

Comment

• scorrpio
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Dump them over your backyard, spread them out a bit.

Then, run your lawnmower over them.

Comment

• wreckwriter
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • South Florida
                        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by scorrpio
                        Dump them over your backyard, spread them out a bit.

Then, run your lawnmower over them.
                        Heh, I actually thought of that.....

More seriously I considered soaking them in a barrel of water, thought that might reduce them to mush but don't know that it would work. I've found intact paper in shipwrecks several years old..

Comment

• sacherjj
                          Not Your Average Joe
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

The easiest is to burn them. I would suggest getting a good quality cross-cut shredder for the future. Now it is second nature to open mail, dump the credit card offers through the shredder. Then the process of getting ready for the trash pickup includes dumping the bin. It makes me feel much better about this. It would still take quite a bit of time to shred a garbage bag full with my 14 sheet shredder.

Another option is to see if a local office has a shredding company service them. You might be able to put it in the bin if you have a friend there or give them a couple bucks. Then a bonded company empties the bins and shreds the documents on site. We have had that in the last two companies for which I worked.
                          Joe Sacher

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                            • Delta Unisaw

How about a gallon of white-out?
                            Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I take it you don't know anyone who raises goats?
                              Larry

Comment

Working...