Clear All
  • macwoodnut
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2016
    • Southwest Washington State
    • BT3000 (old school)

Need Dims for Workmate Table Top segments

Hey Ryobans & Associates out there...
    I have a Workmate425 Signature Edition that got left out in the weather (not just rain, but snow & sleet. Do not get me started...)

My intention is to harvestǂ the hardware from the Table Segments & recreate the segments out of either Hardwood planed to match the original pieces or do the same w/Baltic Birch Ply (BBP).

If any of you out there have needed to do the same or similar, I'd like to know 3 things:
    1. Does anyone know/have the Dimensions of the Workmate425 table top — specifically? (It was different from the Regular Workmate & the Workmate420)
    2. Regarding the Thicknesses specifically, that dimension is critical. (The original worktop was made from Particle Board, and, well, the rain & all that...)
    3. Also asking "operationally" if anyone's tackled this issue, if BBP is used, would any of the following make sense:
      • To order thicker BBP stock & plane the plys down, or
      • ​​​​​To pick up the thickness just shy of the Original Table Top & just not care if it's a squidge thinner, or
      • Is it such a pain in the ¶¥€ that it's just better to go w/hardwood?
    I know that I'm asking a lot, but I haven't found the data/dimensions for the 425 out in the wild anywhere.
    Thanks in advance for anybody's help (if anybody's done this for the 425*.)

Randall in Elma, WA
    Toddling around up here, tryin' to find where my wife thought
    was a 'logical' ​​​box to put stuff in when we were moving...
    ​​​
    * I actually already have the data for, like, 3 other models, it's just the 425 that's kicking my... ... workmate.
    ǂ Makes me sound like a Mortuary Tech...

​​​​​
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

found this on the internet

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	65.5 KB ID:	854282

Also here is a manual
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1421551/Black-And-Decker-Workmate-425-Type-5.html#manual​
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-27-2023, 10:33 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you are replacing the top totally, then I don't think it seems to matter how thick it is, really as long as you are close. I think its 3/4

I can measure my WM thickness but I don't even know off the top of my head the model no. its old.

How about this video?
      Replacing WM425 top for under $10

Here's another you tube for generic WM top replacement

Found these googling replace top on workmate
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-27-2023, 10:57 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...