Just got both a BT 3000 and BT 3100 Where to go now?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcnoel12
    Handtools only
    • Sep 2021

Just got both a BT 3000 and BT 3100 Where to go now?

Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased a BT 3100 on Craigslist for $60. It runs and the blade doesn't wobble but it needs to be cleaned really good and lubed so that everything slides smoothly. All the major parts were intact except the piece which holds the miter in position but that was an easy find on Ebay. Then today I purchased at BT 3000. It was in better shape as far as being kept clean . It came with the following: Miter table and arm complete with 2 saw blades. Miter arm clamp, new in the box. 2 router tables, one new in the box. Router mounting kit, new in the box. Dado throat plate, new in the box. Zero tolerance plate kit, new in the box. Two stands w/ wheels, one new in the box. There were a few other pieces that were thrown in as well such as the owner's manual. The cost was $210.00 So now I own two BT3xxx table saws. My main purpose for buying the first saw was so that I can make picture frames for my wife's paintings. My question is can I use the motor assembly from the BT 3000 in the BT 3100? If So, I will keep the motor and belt and then part out the remaining pieces.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm not sure what your alternatives under consideration are:

Keep the BT3000 vs BT3100?

I assume there's no room for two saws so one must go. And that they are both in at least running order.

so is the question keep one, strip the other for key parts, and part out the parts not needed?

Depending on the age and serial not all motors interchange perfectly IIRC. Sometimes you need the motor mount I think the term Ryobi uses is Guide holder.. The BT3100 supposedly has the better shim keeping properties. But there's some issues about mounting the BT3000 Guide holder in the BT3100 locker brackets? Or does the Guide holder out of the BT3000 drop easily into a BT3100?
    Someone help me out here. I've never had to dabble in this area (knock on wood).
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-25-2021, 02:01 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ballard770
      Established Member
      • Jan 2016
      • Washington State
      • Ryobi BT3000

I don’t have the part numbers at this time but in regard to motors, mounts and shims the motors are interchangeable but the motor mount (guide holder, guide mount) for the 3000 utilizes the smooth angle shim and the guide holder for the 3100 uses the wavy angle shim. The manuals for the respective 3000 and 3100 have different part numbers for the guide holder. The dimensions on the guide holder thickness vary in order for the wavy angled shim to have adequate clearance.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ballard770
        I don’t have the part numbers at this time but in regard to motors, mounts and shims the motors are interchangeable but the motor mount (guide holder, guide mount) for the 3000 utilizes the smooth angle shim and the guide holder for the 3100 uses the wavy angle shim. The manuals for the respective 3000 and 3100 have different part numbers for the guide holder. The dimensions on the guide holder thickness vary in order for the wavy angled shim to have adequate clearance.
        THanks for the refresher, that sounds familiar.
        So you have to match the guide holder and the shims. either BT3000 style or BT3100 style for both.
        The motor will interchange to the either guide holder and either guide holder/shim pair will mount to the common locker bracket.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...