• Show
Clear All
  • AlnaWoods
    Handtools only
    • May 2021
    • Mid-coast Maine
    • Dewalt DWE 7480

Planes

When I set-up my post-retirement woodworking shop, I had many hand tools and a few power ones. I have fleshed out that sitch now to the point that I find a paucity of planes in my shop. I know next to nothing about the purpose of various planes other than some obvious ones. If I were to ask you what 2 types of plane you would suggest, what would your answer be. I make a variety of items in my shop including cutting boards, Shaker oval boxes, regular rectangular boxes, pepper and salt mills, turned bowls, wood pens, kitchen utensils and many other bits of whimsey as the spirit moves. Have at it and help this old soul develop his planning skill. At least I DO know how to sharpen these puppies........................................I think! Thanks in advance and it is good to be here. Tom
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have three that I use equally often. No 7 Jointer plane (I find it faster and more accurate than my little 4" jointer) , a number 4 smoothing plane which I use before finishing with a card scraper and a little block plane that I use for everything from softening edges to cleaning up excess glue.

If I had to pick just two of those, smaller block plane and smoothing plane would be my choices.
    Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

My planes are mostly inherited and I use them around the shop as needed, mostly for smoothing out uneven surfaces, etc.; also wherever my joining or edging requires some clean-up. I have an old Stanley block plane, and a 1940's era #3 and also a #3 which belonged to my wife's grandfather. I also have a #5 I purchased at Lowe's which isn't too bad considering the price.

CWS

Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I'd always have 3: jack plane, block plane, and shoulder plane.

MY Go to jack is an older Miller Falls, with a new Hock blade. I use that for levelling, shooting miter cuts, and large joinery.

My block plane is also a Miller Falls, but im about to upgrade to a Veritas. I use it a ton.

I also use a Stanley rabetting plane .. primarily for cleaning up rabetts, but also small joinery work.

to my mind, the best source for good planes is Lee Valley.

I also have a scraper that is great for smoothing.

To learn a lot about hand tools, watch Rob Cosman.

Last edited by durango dude; 05-20-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...