• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RLonning
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2005
    • Hailey, ID, USA.

Another dust collector question

The ports on my table saw and band saw are 2 1/2". I understand that the CFM is reduced when I connect my 4" hose to those ports, but do I have to worry about damaging my dust collector? Also, what's the best way to make the connection, given I'll be using a portable system, rather than a fixed system?
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by RLonning

The ports on my table saw and band saw are 2 1/2". I understand that the CFM is reduced when I connect my 4" hose to those ports, but do I have to worry about damaging my dust collector? Also, what's the best way to make the connection, given I'll be using a portable system, rather than a fixed system?
    Restricted airflow won't hurt your DC. The impeller isn't affected by reduced airflow. Rockler has an adapter to connect a 4" hose to the BT3. Look for the one with the small end offset, not centered on the 4" side.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• RLonning
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2005
      • Hailey, ID, USA.

Look for the one with the small end offset, not centered on the 4" side.
      [/quote]

Thanks for the info. I looked on the Rockler web site and couldn't find the adapters?[:I]

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I looked on the Rockler web site and couldn't find the adapters?
        Yeah, they need to reorganize that section, make stuff easier to find. Look here:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...42&filter=dust

The correct fitting for the BT3x00 is the #20871 Hose Adapter, about 3/4 of the way down the page. This has a 2-1/4" OD flange on the smaller size and plugs straight into the BT's tailpipe. It also fits the nozzle that comes with router kit, as well as the dust port on my Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander, and probably several others. Can't say whether it'll fit your bandsaw. The same adapter is also available at Woodcraft and, IIRC, Highland Hardware.

To switch your hose among your tools, you can use the Quick Disconnent fittings (a few items up from the #20871 Hose Adapter). The female end is a perfect fit for the tapered male flanges on most plastic blast gates, jointer hoods, floor sweeps, etc. The #20871 Hose Adaptor unfortunately is not tapered on the 4" end, however the QD fitting will still fit on it ... sort of. (You kinda have to jam it on there and then be careful because it's easy to knock loose, however it does work okay.)
        Larry

Comment

• RLonning
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2005
          • Hailey, ID, USA.

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

I looked on the Rockler web site and couldn't find the adapters?
          Yeah, they need to reorganize that section, make stuff easier to find. Look here:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...42&filter=dust

The correct fitting for the BT3x00 is the #20871 Hose Adapter, about 3/4 of the way down the page. This has a 2-1/4" OD flange on the smaller size and plugs straight into the BT's tailpipe. It also fits the nozzle that comes with router kit, as well as the dust port on my Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander, and probably several others. Can't say whether it'll fit your bandsaw. The same adapter is also available at Woodcraft and, IIRC, Highland Hardware.

To switch your hose among your tools, you can use the Quick Disconnent fittings (a few items up from the #20871 Hose Adapter). The female end is a perfect fit for the tapered male flanges on most plastic blast gates, jointer hoods, floor sweeps, etc. The #20871 Hose Adaptor unfortunately is not tapered on the 4" end, however the QD fitting will still fit on it ... sort of. (You kinda have to jam it on there and then be careful because it's easy to knock loose, however it does work okay.)
          Thanks!!!

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Or, you could do this:

That made a huge improvement in dust collection. I put it close to the BS throat so it would pull directly from the cut. I no longer have any dust settling in the lower cover.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• Turaj
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
              • BT3000 (1998)

Tom

Thanks for the pictures. What size is your fitting? (cannot tell from the pictures). Thanks in advance.
              Turaj (in Toronto)
              "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• seeker

i bought a 4 inch to 2 1/4 adapter from home depot for my bt 3100,
                it was a delta dust collector accessory for $4.00 Cdn.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

quote:Originally posted by Turaj

Tom

Thanks for the pictures. What size is your fitting? (cannot tell from the pictures). Thanks in advance.
                  The fittings are 4" Sewer and Drain fittings from HD, as is the pipe. This stuff makes a nice snug fit with no adhesive required. For vertical runs I run a couple 3/8" screws through the sides. The pipe is also a snug fit over the black plastic DC fittings and aluminum blast gates you can get at Woodcraft, etc.,

Regards,
                  Tom

Comment

• Turaj
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                    • BT3000 (1998)

Thanks Tom. One more project on my "to do" list!!!!
                    Turaj (in Toronto)
                    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• monte
                      Forum Windbag
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                      • GI 50-185M

I plumbed my shop with 4" S&D. Like Tom said, it fits the fittings very snug. The S&D is also very inexpensive.
                      Monte (another darksider)
                      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• lcm1947
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Austin, Texas
                        • BT 3100-1

Does anybody know how that quick disconnect adaper works. It seems by the pictures on the Rockler site that you would still have to clamp it to the hose, No? and the other end slips over or into the tool port. Pictures of it actually in work would sure help - maybe.
                        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• maxparot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

There are 2 types one that screws onto the hose and another that does require a clamp at the hose.
                          Opinions are like gas;
                          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• lcm1947
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Austin, Texas
                            • BT 3100-1

Yeah I kind of understand that but why is it called a quick disconnect? because you screw it into the hose instead of using a clamp? and if that's correct then why do they call the one that you do use a clamp to secure to the hose still called a quick disconnect? I'm missing something here I just don't know what.
                            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by lcm1947

Yeah I kind of understand that but why is it called a quick disconnect? because you screw it into the hose instead of using a clamp? and if that's correct then why do they call the one that you do use a clamp to secure to the hose still called a quick disconnect? I'm missing something here I just don't know what.
                              A quick connect has two ends. One that's more or less permanently attached to the hose. Maxparot suggests two types of the permenent end are available, either with a threaded landing for the spiral wire in the hose or with a flat landing which requires a hose clamp to retain the hose. I have the threaded type.

The other end is the quick connect and it is tapered from a little mroe than 4" to a little less than 4" to more or less jam or wedge on the end of a 4" Diameter flat landing type hose end where you might normally permanently connect a hose with a clamp.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...