X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

My experience is that you should price in 1-3 micron bags before deciding a DC is a good deal or not. I bought a 1 hp Delta which works fine for me - with new bags. I suspect the HF is similar in having inadequate bags. The stock bags are 25 micron or something like that and let all kinds of fine dust blow all over the shop. You will not be satisfied with them and will buy new bags. By the time you put good bags (or a canister filter) on the HF, you will probably pay more than the Penn State with the good bags to start with. If not, I would still buy the new bags at the same time as the DC - trust me, you will want them. I bought mine from Highland hardware who sell the bags one at a time (most want you to buy two bags). That let me get an oversized bag for the top so I loose less suction when the bottom bag fills. LOML had to do a bit of sewing to make the larger bag neck down to where it will work but she was OK with that (less so when she saw how heavy the material is).

Jim

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by JimD

My experience is that you should price in 1-3 micron bags before deciding a DC is a good deal or not.
      Good point, Jim. The HF bags are 30 micron. Until you upgrade from that it's pretty much a "chip collector", not a dust collector.

JR
      JR

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

If I may, allow me to throw my 2 cents in. I bought the HF DC and then modified it to take a Wynn cartridge filter. Now time spent doing the modification aside and just talking money I spent $149.00 for the DC, $79.00 for the cartridge filter and maybe $5.00 for the nuts and bolts and MDF. I believe another $10.00 or so for the shipping of the filter also but not for sure but believe that is correct. So total I spent 243.00. Now if you add in the hours and I do mean hours I spend putting it together, well you decide. If I had to do it over again I would still go this route. I have more time then money so it's a no brainer for me plus the work part was fun although it's not easy. The round top of the DC where the cartridge filter sits wasn't exactly round and I had to spend hours sanding a little here and a little there to get the MFD disk to fix. It was taxing somewhat to say the least but it finally fit and the result is just fantastic. No dust anywhere to speak of. Anyway there you have another opinion. Good luck. Oh one last thought. You really can't compare a bag filter to a cartridge filter. Yes they both get the dust partials down to 1 to 3 Microns but the cartridge filter has so much more surface area that in my opinion it is a better way to go. My 2 cents. Please feel free to challenge me on any of this but to the best of my knowledge it is accurate. Oh, I just remembered something. Also add onto the price the plastic bottom bags that you'll need to buy. Seems it would kind of defect the purpose of the 1-3 mircon top filter be it cartridge or bag if the bottom bag was the inefficient type. So there's another $25.00 but you do get 4 or 5. So total is now $268.00. Course you could live with the DC for awhile until you could come up with the rest of the money adding a little by little. Course I couldn't but that's me.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

The Wynn filter is now available as a kit for the HF 2hp DC. The price is $89 includes 3 plastic lower bags and 3 turnbuckles for mounting the filter. The filter has a thick rubber gasket and requires no adapter. The top of the filter has a metal cover permantly attached to it. The install of the filter literally takes 5 minutes. It may take you more time to mount/replace the lower plastic bag. Shipping was $20 to my home. bringing the cost to $109 the DC cost me $135 using a 10% coupon so for $244 I think the HF DC w/ canister filter is impossible to beat.
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• lcm1947
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Austin, Texas
            • BT 3100-1

That is remarkable! That is just remarkable! What a great idea. Thanks for the info maxparot. WOW! I am really impressed.
            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...