• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RLonning
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2005
    • Hailey, ID, USA.

Dust collector

I've been trying to choose a dust collector for a small one-person shop. I'll be using a planer, jointer, table saw, band saw. Only one machine at a time. It seems like some kind of two stage filtration is desireable. I'm thinking I won't mind moving a collector or at least the hose from machine to machine .

Any opinions on the Jet DC-650TS? I'm thinking if I got a plastic trash barrel with castors, I could move it around pretty easy.

Thanks.

BTW these forums have been a BIG help!
  • FRT
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2005
    • Spokane, Wa., USA.

Hi Rob,
    There has been a great deal of discussions regarding dust collection within this site. I think if you would do a search for threads you will find all kinds of information. That said, I have been just using a 6.5 shop vac which is easy to move from place to place and not hard on the wallet. Also there seems to have been a number of folks who seeem very happy with the Harbor Freight dust collector and the price is right. I have considered trying one myself.
    FRT

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Another vote for the Harbor Freight 2HP Dust Collector. It will handle any of the tools you listed without any trouble. I doubt if you would be very satisfied with the results a shop vac would give you when using your planer or jointer.

Comment

• FRT
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2005
        • Spokane, Wa., USA.

I do agree with sweensdv! I do have a planer but up to this point I have not used it much. I can see how the increased amount of wood chips/sawdust would fill a shop vac in a very short time. Another point is when I do move to a dust collector I plan to use a metal 30gal. garbage can for mid collection as Iam not sure if a plastic/ pvc cans sides would hold up to the air flow. I was able to pick up one of these cans at a yard sale for $2 so I just need to fit it with a lid adapter.
        FRT

Comment

• Tom Hintz
          • Feb 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.

A while ago I changed from a cheap DC to a real one, the Delta 50-760 that filters down to 1 micron. The difference is amazing in the amount of visible dust in the shop and in the air.
          The jointer and planer will put out far too much for a Shop-Vac which still just launches all the fine dust back into the air. You need to get something wtih good filtering, especially in wa small shop.
          I have a review of the DC I use at the link below with more info on it's features and photos.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/d50-760rvu.html
          Tom Hintz
          NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• monte
            Forum Windbag
            • Dec 2002
            • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
            • GI 50-185M

I vote for the HF 2hp unit or one like Tom reviewed above. You'll be much happier with it and you could plumb it to your individual tools if needed with the use of blast gates.
            Monte (another darksider)
            Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• ejs1097
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

quote:Originally posted by FRT

Also there seems to have been a number of folks who seeem very happy with the Harbor Freight dust collector and the price is right. I have considered trying one myself.
              FRT
              Is that $149.99 price on their website the usuall price or a sale price?
              Eric
              Be Kind Online

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by ejs1097

quote:Originally posted by FRT

Also there seems to have been a number of folks who seeem very happy with the Harbor Freight dust collector and the price is right. I have considered trying one myself.
                FRT
                Is that $149.99 price on their website the usuall price or a sale price?
                That's the sale price.
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• monte
                  Forum Windbag
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                  • GI 50-185M

You can't beat it for the price. You may want to consider the wynn filter setup too if you go this way.
                  Monte (another darksider)
                  Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• maxparot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I just got my Wynn Environmental Filter yesterday.
                    I went for the paper/polyester fiter. It went on in 2 minutes flat with the turnbuckles. It took longer to get the plastic bag on the lower half.
                    Opinions are like gas;
                    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Roger109
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Great Bend, Kansas, USA.
                      • BT3000

Another vote for the HFDC , been using mine over a year now with no problems.Would like to upgrade to the Wynn setup.
                      Owner of classic 1995 BT3000

Comment

• mr.g
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Richfield, MN, USA.

I have the Penn State DC1B-XL it's currently on sale for $189.95. It's 1HP with 1 micron felt bags top and bottom standard. It was very easy to assemble and comes with a 4" diameter 8ft. black flex hose included.
                        This dust collector has gotten several awards from wood working magazines for best 1HP collector. It works great in my garage/shop and is easy to move around and doesn't take up a lot of space.
                        It's worth checking out at: www.pennstateind.com

Comment

• RLonning
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2005
                          • Hailey, ID, USA.

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions. It's great to have this kind of expertise so accessible.

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

If you get a system that uses 4" hose, look at the HF accessory kit. It has IIRC, 2 10' sections of 4" hose, 2 blast gates, a handful of clamps and a couple of dust hoods.
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by BobSch

If you get a system that uses 4" hose, look at the HF accessory kit. It has IIRC, 2 10' sections of 4" hose, 2 blast gates, a handful of clamps and a couple of dust hoods.
                              Correct. Also a 4" wye, so you can split one hose to serve two tools.

The kit is a good deal at the regular price of $39.99 -- most other places, you'll pay at least $20 more for the same pieces -- and an even better deal when they put it on sale for $29.99. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to happen often but it's worth watching for.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...