Can you get more tools for less?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • 1495
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

    #1

    Can you get more tools for less?

    Just for fun,I decided to figure out what it would cost to get power tools for a beginner shop if you had to do it pretty quick. I went with the cheapest version that seems to be workable and a good value unless top of the line was almost the same.I did not add in shipping charge and I did use the discounts that a lot of us use and are readily available. This is not the way I set up shop but it would have been fun to do it like this. I did it like most of the rest of you did. One at a time.(I am still doing this) Can you do better?

    [b]Home depot
    BT3100 tablesaw 299[b]
    Acc.kit 80
    TP1300 planer 249
    R.O.sander 33
    10% mover discount
    total 595

    Harbor Frieght
    Drill press 49
    14"bandsaw 229
    6"jointer 189[b
    dust collector 159
    dust c. kit 39
    air compressor 99
    10% off coupon
    total 698

    Amazon
    Hitachi 18v drill 89
    m12v 159
    Hitachi 10" m.saw 179
    recon Hitachi
    cir. saw 89
    recon Bosch top H.
    saber saw [b109

    $25x2 volume discount
    total 565

    Lowes
    Skill multi-base
    router 99

    Grizzly
    brad nailer 30

    Homier
    mobile base x2 40

    O'Malley
    plate jointer 59

    total $2086.00

    I know you could switch your planer,jointer and tablesaw to Ridgid and still be around $2500 but that is $400+








    spellling champion Lexington region 1982
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 1421
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

    #2
    My suggestion would be to take your very well thought out list to a local tool supplier and let them make a proposal. I'd be willing to bet they'd come up with a competetive offer that would save you 10-15% on the spot. Just tell them that is what they must do to get your business.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

    Comment

    • sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • 2873
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

      #3
      What about the mandatory $1000 for clamps? [)] I know we all hate sanding but you need a couple of them too.

      Seriously, that was a nice job of research and a good starting point for someone looking to get into woodworking. The real reality though for someone putting a shop together is that it's just the tip of the iceberg. The little things like; router bits, drill bits, sandpaper, brads, finishing supplies, saw blades, clamps of all types, hardware supplies, hand tools, calipers, and the list could go on and on, can easily equal or surpass the cost of the basic equipment.

      This is not an inexpensive hobby to get into or stay with but, for myself anyway, well worth the investment.
      _________________________
      "Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans"

      Comment

      • Mainemarc
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2003
        • 673
        • Portland, ME, USA.

        #4
        Hi Messmaker:

        Dave really has a point about the clamps, the bits, and the consumable supplies; they add up and need to be part of your budget. Don't get me wrong: that is an outstanding list, there's very little I would personally disagree with.

        But woodworking isn't just about all the sexy big ticket items that we all love to talk about. Your list doesn't include a single measuring tool, for instance.

        The exercise of researching and initial outfiting of your shop can actually be kind of fun, but try to move beyond that and concentrate on where the rubber meets the road: working wood. Pick a project appropriate to your skill level and that you'd really like to make. Let that drive your initial tool purchases.

        I know it's a chicken and egg kind of exercise ("But I need EVERYTHING to make this blanket chest!") but if you pick and choose and get by with some things (do you REALLY need a 14" bandsaw right away when that sweet Bosch jigsaw will cut the occasional curved piece?), you'll have the money left over for the clamps and cutters (and the wood itself) to get going.

        And the experience you gain in your initial woodworking projects will drive your future equipment purchases with a lot more authority than any magazine rating.
        Marc

        Comment

        • Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • 3815
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

          #5
          One of the mags (I think Pop WWing) had an article last summer for putting together a functional shop for $1500 and $3000. It was pretty interesting. The problem with an article like that for any mag is that they can't publish closeouts, specials, recons or killer used deals that can really cut costs. How many of us have made an impulse purchase just b/c it was too cheap to pass up? (ie: Delta 22-580 for $229)
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

          Comment

          • JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • 4187
            • Lexington, SC.

            #6
            My method has consistently been to add tools when necessary to do something that I decided really needed doing or gradually as funds allow. Fortunately, you can build a lot of stuff without having all the tools you list. Unfortunately as has been pointed out, you probably need some you haven't listed for even basic tasks.

            Jim

            Comment

            • messmaker
              Veteran Member
              • May 2004
              • 1495
              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
              • Ridgid 2424

              #7
              I did not mean that this list is inclusive of all the things you need.I think that list is endless. I have better luck picking up hand tools and acc. a few at the time since they are not usually big ticket items and can come in the form of gifts if you play your cards right.The more you save on the high dollar poewr tools that you think you need, the more you have for all the other necessary stuff.
              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

              Comment

              • Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • 3281
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

                #8
                I'm with Jim on this one.
                With a few good basic power tools you can improvise to complete most projects. By going slow and adding to the power tool inventory as they are absolutly needed and the budget allows you can buy better quality tools.

                It has taken me about 15 years to get my shop to where it is but I feel that I have the best quality power tools available that fit my needs. I would like to replace my bench top jointer with a floor model but that's a want not a need.
                Dick

                http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

                Comment

                • Hoover
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • 1273
                  • USA.

                  #9
                  Messmaker, that's a great list of tools, and quite a realistic price for putting together a shop on a budget. I did a rough calculation of my shop tools, figuring in your list, and I am at about $2600 give or take $100. I don't have any idea how much my hand tools cost me, but a real shop needs to add those costs in as well.
                  Does a person ever really get done buying tools? I thought that many times over, nope, never really done. It's like life, enjoy the journey, not the destination. Thanks for the post.
                  No good deed goes unpunished

                  Comment

                  • LCHIEN
                    Super Moderator
                    • Dec 2002
                    • 22084
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

                    #10
                    hey the's no such thing as an all comprehensive list.
                    What do you do when you have all the tools on your list?
                    all you can do then is build stuff. Where's the fun of browsing thru catalogs, stores and dreaming and persuading the SO that I need this tool, when she can see it truly NOT ON THE LIST.


                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                    Comment

                    • RickT
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 175
                      • .

                      #11
                      I agree that the list never ends. I like to buy the best tool/machine I can afford and hopefully buy it only once. I have most of the items on the Bruce's (messmaker) list, and I was just thinking about how woodworkers 100 years ago made beautiful stuff without the toys (uh.....I mean tools) we have.

                      Rick

                      Comment

                      • FRT
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 40
                        • Spokane, Wa., USA.

                        #12
                        The problem with putting together any kind of list, like this, is that my better half may see or find the list and realize the amount of money I am spending or have spent. This most likely would have a negative impact on home front harmony. What I have discovered is that with every 2-3 tools purchased I need to build some new storage so they are not out in view. "Out of sight out of mind" I must confess there has been times when I have seen a tool sale and thought I needed one only to later be looking in one of the storage areas to find that I already own one! Now that I think about it I maybe need to go build something to see what I do have!!!!!

                        Comment

                        • Hellrazor
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • 2091
                          • Abyss, PA
                          • Ridgid R4512

                          #13
                          quote:Originally posted by Mainemarc


                          But woodworking isn't just about all the sexy big ticket items that we all love to talk about.
                          Wow, never thought i would see the day someone referred to tools as sexy... therapy man... therapy



                          Comment

                          • sweensdv
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 2873
                            • WI
                            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

                            #14
                            [:0]Hellrazor, weren't you paying attention to the tools that Heidi had on Tool Time. Therapy IS needed for anyone that didn't find that tool belt sexy.
                            _________________________
                            "Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans"

                            Comment

                            • AlexK
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 9
                              • Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

                              #15
                              Hi folks. Well, finally joined and while reading this was motivated to add my 2 cents CDN. I like the list. As to not being complete? Well as you march along through life you do tend to collect at least some hand tools....drills sanders and such. The "Big Ticket" list just puts things into perspective. Don't have to own stationary power tools to frame a house or garage. It may help but not necessary. I am going to submit a post in the "Getting Started" forum entitled "Push me over the Edge. Have a read and give me a shove.
                              There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don\'t.

                              Comment

                              Working...