• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JMYBFFT
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2004
    • Aurora, CO, USA.

Planing help please

I just got an electric hand planer and tried to smooth out a couple of boards and all I managed to do was create some nasty ridges. Is this a technique issue or something else. Any advice is appreciated.
    Bob D.

\"I\'m growing older but not up.\" Jimmy Buffett
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Jimmy, to my knowledge, Electric Planners are more suitable for planning the edges of panels as opposed to thicknessing or cleaning up the surface of a board, YMMV. If working on the surface of your boards is your intent, you'd be much better off to return the Electric Hand Planer and put the money aside for a Portable Thicknessing Planer and a Jointer.

Portable Electric Planners are quite often used to trim doors to size by planing the edges so they will fit in their intended opening.

I realize this is considerably more expensive but what you're attempting to do is like trying to run a Tracter in the Indy 500, not the right tool for the job, IMHO.

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George

Comment

• JMYBFFT
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2004
      • Aurora, CO, USA.

Thanks qmack. I have come to that realization and intend to get a portable planer soon.
      Bob D.

\"I\'m growing older but not up.\" Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by gmack5

Jimmy, to my knowledge, Electric Planners are more suitable for planning the edges of panels as opposed to thicknessing or cleaning up the surface of a board, YMMV. If working on the surface of your boards is your intent, you'd be much better off to return the Electric Hand Planer and put the money aside for a Portable Thicknessing Planer and a Jointer.

Portable Electric Planners are quite often used to trim doors to size by planing the edges so they will fit in their intended opening.

I realize this is considerably more expensive but what you're attempting to do is like trying to run a Tracter in the Indy 500, not the right tool for the job, IMHO.
        well said, george
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...