• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeekMom
    • Dec 2004
    • Bonney Lake, WA.
    • Shopsmith Mark V

Hemlock for a project?

I've seen posts using different woods for various projects, but not hemlock. Is there a reason for this? My next project is a flag case for my dad's flag. I've found some beautiful woods, but most aren't uniform thickness and I don't have a planer. The grain appears to be tight and straight. Would this work, or should I try to find something that would be better suited? The only wood that I have used flat has been BORG pine, [:I] so I have no experience with better wood. Thanks in advance.
    Karen
    <><
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

You may be able to find a place that will do shop work for you at an hourly rate. There is a lumber yard around here that also has a cabinet shop, and they'll dimension lumber for me. It's been nice because I have neither a jointer nor a planer, but they do the job at rates so cheap they often don't charge me for the little bit that I need.

I havn't used Hemlock for any projects, though my woods where I grew up are full of hemlock trees. The name of the area was "Hemlock Springs" because of...well.... all of the hemlock trees and natural springs.

Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

The only Hemlock I have used wsa some preturned posts that I cut in half for the legs of a work table for the 'Boss'. It took stain very well was a good match for the Birch and Birch ply table top.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

Karen

You are most welcome to stop by and run those boards through my planer. A warm day would be best as my planer resides on the covered patio.

Dick
        206-499-7151
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

quote:Originally posted by Whaler

Karen

You are most welcome to stop by and run those boards through my planer. A warm day would be best as my planer resides on the covered patio.

Dick
          206-499-7151
          That's why I like this forum. The first member I met (on the Ryobi forum) was Sawduster, on the same kind of offer!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Brian G
            • Jun 2003
            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
            • G0899

One risk is that some people are sensitive to the alkaloids in hemlock and develop a rash.

I am one of those some people. I discovered this when I was building my workbench, and had some hemlock mixed in with the fir I used.

I didn't have a severe breakout, but the intensity of the itching on the inside bend of my elbows was, well. . . INTENSE! My face burned like that feeling you get when you have sunburn, topped off with poison ivy for good measure. The worst was that it took several weeks for it to go away.

Then I used lacewood in the frame of an autographed picture of Ryan Longwell, who is my Mom's favorite football player, and who graciously signed the print I gave to her.

Lacewood has the same issue as with Hemlock. The inner bend of my elbows still itch, and I last handled the wood three weeks ago. I also discovered that lacewood is very good at leaving slivers. . . I swear I could juggle a family of porcupines and have fewer quills in my hands than if I touched a 1" cube of lacewood.

Oh, and the dust. . . well. . . don't let any accumulate on the part of your shirt that you tuck in your pants, 'cuz the dust spreads during [*cough* *cough*] the course of "business". That's all I've got to say about that. [B)] [:I] [B)]

Here is an article that I found when I searched on hemlock and allergies in Google. It was the better of the two links From womeninwoodworking.com

I don't mean to scare you away from good wood, but, well, if you just happen to be one that's sensitive to hemlock, I'm telling you that the itch isn't worth it.

"Cortisone" Brian who no longer likes hemlock or lacewood

Brian

Comment

• jl
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2003
              • Nova Scotia, Canada.

Karen:

Hemlock is mostly used in large section and thick board because it has a tendency to check. It is fairly water resistant. Around here, it was used for boarding barns.

I have used probably around 2,000 board feet of hemlock (2"x6") over the years for raised beds in the garden. The scraps, I use in the shop for jigs or small projects. I made a couple of picture frames wich turned out well. I would not buy it for a woodworking project, preferring many other species. But when I have some, I use it.

Note that the bark on the hemlock is thick, colourfull and very beautiful.

No signs of alergies for me.
              Jean-Luc

Comment

• Brian G
                • Jun 2003
                • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                • G0899

You can have mine, cheap too.
                Brian

Comment

• GeekMom
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Bonney Lake, WA.
                  • Shopsmith Mark V

Thank you for all the replies - your help is very much appreciated!
                  I haven't bought the wood, yet, but hope to get something this next week. Thanks, Brian, for the information on allergies - not something I had considered! And, Jean-Luc, I was not aware of the problem of checking in smaller pieces. Sounds like I might be better off with something a little more stable?

Dick, wow! Thank you for your very kind offer! Depending on what I find (and the weather), I may call you soon

Karen
                  <><

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Whaler

Karen

Dick
                    206-499-7151
                    Dick, people like you are what makes this forum the best.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Karen, I'm not sure if the hemlock others have used is the same specie as what we have here in the PNW, Western Hemlock, Washington's State Tree. Anyway I have used it as an apron on a table with good results. The hemlock that I've seen has been soft and straight grained. If you haven't already you might check out Crosscut Hardwoods or Compton's Lumber, both just south of Spokane St. near 1ST AVE So. in Seattle. BTW hemlock is used as stud grade lumber in some construction.

IMHO it may well be worth your time to buy something that needs planed just so you can go take Dick up on his offer. I think you could learn lots of WW tips from him.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• GeekMom
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Bonney Lake, WA.
                        • Shopsmith Mark V

quote:Originally posted by Black wallnut

IMHO it may well be worth your time to buy something that needs planed just so you can go take Dick up on his offer. I think you could learn lots of WW tips from him.
                        I think you're right, Mark!
                        Karen
                        <><

Comment

• jl
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Nova Scotia, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Black wallnut

... I'm not sure if the hemlock others have used is the same specie as what we have here in the PNW, Western Hemlock, Washington's State Tree.
                          I was talking about Eastern Hemlock, indeed!

Jean-Luc

Comment

• lrogers
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Mobile, AL. USA.
                            • BT3000

No hemlock advice for you Karen, but you will be amazed at how different, and better, it is working with the hardwoods. When I started out, I used pine because it was cheap and I wasn't out much if a piece ended up in the fire place instead of the project. When I finally "bit-the-bullet" and did my first project in oak.....WOW, I was hooked. I still do the occasional project in pine (working one now), but I much prefer using the hard woods.
                            Larry R. Rogers
                            The Samurai Wood Butcher
                            http://splash54.multiply.com
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Whaler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Sequim, WA, USA.
                              • DW746

A response to the posts regarding my post to Karen.

I spent many years where my woorkshop consisted of a cheap skill saw, a 3/8' corded drill and a sander.
                              I know the frustration when you don't have the tool to complete a project properly.

16 years ago I built an oak headboard, for LOML, using only the tools mentioned. She loves it and I look at it and think that is OK but how much better it would be if I had had the proper tools.

I guess what I am trying to say is that now that I have the tools I am willing to offer assistance to anyone that I can, something that wasn't offered to me.

Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...