• Show
Clear All
  • fishon
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2013
    • Sweet Home, Oregon
    • Ryobi 3000

Shims for BT3000

I have a Ryobi BT3000 that has blade riser shims that are shot. I have searched every parts site I can find and all I get are the shims are discontinued. What can I do? I am new to the forum and this is my first post.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

fishon welcome to BT3Central.com! As a new member your first few posts require a staff member to approve the post prior to it being displayed. Stay tuned or check back soon and I'm sure someone will post a link to parts that are available.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Welcome to the forum site.

if you have a specific problem related to the saw or woodworking, try a search.
      Just searching for "shims" finds this post from no more than a couple of weeks ago:

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

that answers most of your questions. The shims are still available. Most all situations with the saw have been addressed at one time or another here since the saw has been around for 20 years and nearly a million were sold.

Also I have a FAQ for the asking which has compiled most all questions people asked about the saw and its derivatives.

Take your time, don't panic, use the search, look through and read the old posts. That's one of the great resources here.

Article on shims with pictures:

Somewhere on the site, a user tells how to bend your own from brass shim stock available at Lowes.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Sears parts lists the shims as "call for availability" If there is enough interest from members still using these old model saws I will manufacture new stainless shims for $30. a pair front only. If you are interested send me a PM. As I will have to tool up to do this I'll only do it if there is enough interest to make it worth my while. Keep in mind there really is nothing hard about making your own shims if you have shim stock of the right thickness and the ability to cut and bend it.

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          Sears parts lists the shims as "call for availability" If there is enough interest from members still using these old model saws I will manufacture new stainless shims for $30. a pair front only. If you are interested send me a PM. As I will have to tool up to do this I'll only do it if there is enough interest to make it worth my while. Keep in mind there really is nothing hard about making your own shims if you have shim stock of the right thickness and the ability to cut and bend it.
          They (Sears) do have alternate part numbers for shims which are apparently in stock if I read it correctly.

Shim
          PART NUMBER: 969599-001
          Found in diagram: UNIT PARTS
          Substitution: 969599-001 Learn why

$3.88
          In stock
          This item is not returnable.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Thanks Loring! I followed the first link from the linked thread where I found what i reported above. With the recent astronomical increase in the cost of belts I think the days of parts support are numbered. Sure hope I'm wrong should I need any.
            Last edited by Black wallnut; 01-06-2013, 10:59 PM.

©

Comment

• ernperkins
              Handtools only
              • Dec 2012
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              They (Sears) do have alternate part numbers for shims which are apparently in stock if I read it correctly.

Shim
              PART NUMBER: 969599-001
              Found in diagram: UNIT PARTS
              Substitution: 969599-001 Learn why

$3.88
              In stock
              This item is not returnable.
              A word of caution: I went to the Sears web site and the picture they showed for part number 969599-001 matched my BT3000 shim exactly. So I went ahead and ordered two shims. What arrived looks totally different and is what I think a BT3100 shim. My original shim is flat on both sides of the "V" and shiny. The replacement shim (can't figure how to upload the picture) is thicker, dark, has a a gap in the "V" and is somewhat wavy on one side. Is it a BT3100 shim?

Thanks,
              Ed

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

To me that sounds like a BT3100 shim.

©

Comment

• ernperkins
                  Handtools only
                  • Dec 2012
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • BT3000

Yes, it's a BT3100 shim. Figures 4 (BT3000 shim) and 5 (BT3100 shim) in this article (http://www.bt3central.com/articles/bt3100/default.asp) show the difference. Guess I'll try to repair my old BT300 shim and see if it works. sigh....

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Follow the links in my shim article for shim supports. You only need the lower tab, with them as long as you keep the shim area clean and lubed. The top tab helps the shim to fall. Honestly they are not that hard to make. Sourcing the shim stock and assembling the items necessary to bend them is more work. If I were to make them much of the cost would be in tooling up to bend them with repeatable precision.

©

Comment

• NewDIYer
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2012
                      • Southington, CT
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Shims..

I needed shims as well and M&D sent me the BT3100 shims. When I called them they placed the Bt3K shim order on back order and then called and indicated that these are not available anymore.

I am wondering if I can modify the bracket to be able to use the BT3100 shim.

Comment

• fishon
                        Handtools only
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Sweet Home, Oregon
                        • Ryobi 3000

thanks for all the input on my shim problem. I purchased some shim material and made my own. I made them the full length of the area the blade riser rides on. So far it works great. time will tell. It is not great fun tearing the saw apart and installing the shims but I like the saw and it has served me well for a lot years.

I was going to show a picture of the cabinet I built for the Ryobi but I can't seem to find out how to upload it from my pixs or picasa.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by NewDIYer
                          I needed shims as well and M&D sent me the BT3100 shims. When I called them they placed the Bt3K shim order on back order and then called and indicated that these are not available anymore.

I am wondering if I can modify the bracket to be able to use the BT3100 shim.
                          you can buy a BT3100 bracket that will fit the BT3000 but accept the BT3100 shims. Details in my FAQ,
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

fishon members with fewer than 5 posts do not have the permissions to post images. Your solution sounds interesting. A short term one IMHO. The guide holder has 4 small set screws that adjust fit or play between it and the locker bracket. By converting it to have a full height shim you have made these screws function as your bearing surface as well.

©

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by fishon
                              thanks for all the input on my shim problem. I purchased some shim material and made my own. I made them the full length of the area the blade riser rides on. So far it works great. time will tell. It is not great fun tearing the saw apart and installing the shims but I like the saw and it has served me well for a lot years.
                              Sounds like a good MacGyver fix.

Comment

Working...