Clear All
  • aiyou
    SawdustZone Patron
    • Mar 2006
    • Charlotte, NC
    • BT3100

Jointer Options

Looking for my first jointer, and have come across the following:

The HF 30289 certainly appears one of their gems. Spoke with the owner, and its part of an estate sale of a former contractor.

The Ridgid looks to be the JP0610, but as I'm new to jointers, am not quite sure. The table seems larger than 6" in the picture, and also appears to not have been used in quite some time.

Don't think I can go wrong with either one, but which would be the better choice considering they're comparably priced??

Thanks
    Rob
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

No brainer, buy the RIDGID.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Take a look at both of them. See if the seller can put the fence on the ridgid back together correctly. IF it goes back together correctly and everything works, the Ridgid is a better jointer, but that is NOT saying the HF is any slacker... But if it comes down to having to fix a busted fence, I would steer clear of that Ridgid...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• aiyou
        SawdustZone Patron
        • Mar 2006
        • Charlotte, NC
        • BT3100

Thanks guys.

The seller for the Ridgid is out of town til Sunday, and the fence on the table was something that caught my attention. Have only had limited communication with his wife, so not sure if it is busted or operational - just that it is still available.

Comment

• Cubsfan
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • CO.

I have the Rigid, really like it. Is that rust on the tabletop or something else? I'm always amazed that people don't even clean something up a little bit before they list it.

Comment

• aiyou
            SawdustZone Patron
            • Mar 2006
            • Charlotte, NC
            • BT3100

Just spoke with owner..operational, but disassembled fence. Bought both a Ridgid table saw and the jointer from inlaw, but hasn't used the jointer. Looking to make space in the garage.

Certainly could be rust, but looks more like a substantial coating of dust.

Planning on looking at it Monday after he gets back in to town.

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

there's some things I'd buy from HF --- but a jointer is not in that list.

Ridgid for $150 is a decent deal.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

+1 on the ridgid. i have an older gray unitand really like it. when WOOD magazine last tested 6" jointers, the ridgid was their top value selection at it's $400 full retail price. anything from $100 to $150 for the pictured ridgid is almost a gloat.
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• jdon
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                  • BT3100

+1 on Ridgid- I bought one recently on CL (for a bit more)- in process of tuning up- needs a few parts. Looks like the fence in the photo is intact- just needs to be clamped on.

If there is rust on beds, easily removed with WD-40 and random orbital sander.

The Ridgid fence is much more solid than on the HF design- I never liked that kind, with the only support for the fence at one end- always seems like a setup for wobbliness at the far end of the fence; center mount fences (like Ridgid) seem much sturdier/solid.

BTW, I don't think the long rod on top of the fence in the picture is part of the jointer.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...