• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

Parts for your "JIG"

I live just outside of Austin - and as of now the only access I have to Woodworking tools / odd and ends, Home Depot and Lowe's. They seem more and more just focused on general contractors. Guess that is where the big bucks are. That being said, the only place I can find bits and pieces hardware are on-line and in catalogs. I am kind of a hands on kinda guy. Any one know of a book or particular web site that can help show how to USE the Jig bits and pieces? Sorry for such a base question, I am trying to catch up as quickly as possible.
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • Dal300
    Banned
    • Aug 2011
    • East Central Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

There's a Woodcraft in Austin,

8904 Research Blvd.
    Austin TX 78758
    Phone: (512) 407-8787
    Fax: (512) 407-8790
    Austin-retail@woodcraft.com

Comment

• BeauxTi
      Established Member
      • Jan 2012
      • Georgetown Texas
      • Ryobi BT300

Thanks DAL300 - I have never heard of it. Went online - seems as good a place to start as any. Maybe take a walk through on my lunch hour.
      Beaux Ti -

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

what kinds of jig parts? Ace hardware has a pretty well stocked asst. of knobs and inserts and stuff.
        Lowes and HD has some cabinets of stuff but they are usually low and everything mis-binned.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Poobah
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2010
          • SoCal
          • BT3100

How about the parts assortment from Lee Valley? With the sale price you get a good deal on more parts than you'll likely need to get started.

Willing to spend more money, but save lots of time and get almost Lego-like instructions? Get the Incra build-it starter kit. This won't appeal to you if you strongly believe in making it all yourself, but just getting started you might prefer to focus on projects instead of jigs
          Last edited by Poobah; 01-22-2012, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

You say 'just outside of Austin' but not which way. The Austin Woodcraft is in north Austin. If you live south the San Antonio Woodcraft can sometimes be easier to get to. The difference in traffic makes the few extra miles worth it.

Weatherford Tools in south Austin deals in woodworking/construction tools. Jim stocks Amana, Whiteside, and CMT router bits. I haven't tried them, but he also cuts and welds bandsaw blades.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Daryl
              • May 2004

Local Harbor Freight often has T-Track and toggle clamps.
              Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Don't forget T-Nuts.com
                http://www.t-nuts.com/bt3c/

I like having an assortment onhand for jig stuff. I've got a couple T-bolt kits from Rockler and Lee Valley, assorted BT sized t-bolts, nuts and studs from T-nuts .com a few lengths of t-track, a few pieces of MDF and baltic birch. If I get an idea for a jig I like being able to make it without hunting around for hardware.
                Erik

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

They don't offer a lot of explanations but I like McMaster Carr. They have an unusually wide range of "things". I've bought small pieces of high strength aluminum, machined steel 1 inch rod, oilite bearings, plastic, and other assorted hardware from them.

Jim

Comment

• BeauxTi
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • Georgetown Texas
                    • Ryobi BT300

This is the thing - I don't know what I don't know. An example - I built this Box joint jig, I screwed it directly to my Miter. I have seen enough of the stuff you all talk about to know there is a better way. Making the jigs and things easier for set up and breakdown. For me just getting started is the key. I was hoping there was a site or book on what parts are available y to help accomplish x. I know some of you are scratching your heads wondering what the H*ll I am asking. Keep in mind this is new to me - just trying to figure out what is in the tool box and what it’s for before I have to work on the engine.
                    Beaux Ti -

Comment

• Dal300
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2011
                      • East Central Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Hah! if you saw my shop and some of my jigs you would know that there is nothing elegant or preplanned about any of it/them. I use the expedience method.
                      I need it NOW, so I build it, (slap it together).
                      When I'm done, It get's put in a corner until I need the parts for something else. Then it get's torn apart.

Originally posted by BeauxTi
                      This is the thing - I don't know what I don't know. An example - I built this Box joint jig, I screwed it directly to my Miter. I have seen enough of the stuff you all talk about to know there is a better way. Making the jigs and things easier for set up and breakdown. For me just getting started is the key. I was hoping there was a site or book on what parts are available y to help accomplish x. I know some of you are scratching your heads wondering what the H*ll I am asking. Keep in mind this is new to me - just trying to figure out what is in the tool box and what it’s for before I have to work on the engine.

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

I'll tell the best way... do some reading and check out your local library to see what they might have. One of my favorite books (bought "used" at a library book sale over a decade ago) is John De Cristoforo's Complete Book of Power Tools. It's was published in the late 60's, early 70's, but has lots of jigs and other ideas for various power tools.

That's just one, and there are many others. Shop Notes and many of the other popular magazines also have lots of jigs, though it would take considerable time to search and collect all that information which is distributed over the many issues.

Over on the Ridgid.com forum, there's a special thread in the "woodworking" column, called "Niki's Stuff". The gentleman passed away a year or so ago, but he was fantastic in his skills and generosity of sharing those with the forum members. Much of his stuff is posted there: https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t17581/

Much of what you will find (anywhere) is pretty decent, and the ideas and creations that most people have shared is truly innovative. Hopefully, it will not only give you some great projects to work out, but also provide you with the knowledge and encentive to make your own.

In the case of "Niki", he didn't have all the hardware that we, here in the U.S. have; but, he was very innovative and worked out his own stuff.

As far as the hardware itself, check out Rockler (Rockler.com) and Lee-Valley (Leevalley.com). I've made a couple of minor purchases from both. The T-track kits from Rockler can give you some basic hardware to start and the Lee-Valley has similar (and additional hardware kits). Both often have these on sale, as I believe one of the hardware kits at Lee-Valley is presently on sale.

Good luck,

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

I'll second the going to the library suggestion. That's a good way to get cheap information on most things. Following are a couple of things you'll likely find in books on jig making:

It is pretty easy (and cheap) to make your own knobs, using threaded inserts and a piece of scrap, and toilet bolts will fit many T-tracks, so you can screw them into the inserts in the knobs.

You can also buy 2 router bits to mill your own T-track right into the stock. That works pretty well if you're going to use more than a little T-track.

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• greenacres2
                            • Dec 2011
                            • La Porte, IN
                            • Ryobi BT3000

I'm greener than Beaux--and learning from his questions. CWSmith's comments have me wondering if a "Jig" section on the board might get enough interest to be added. Could be a place to post questions, pictures, and ideas--kind of a clearing house of jigs. Just thinking as i get ready to do more than just cut some 2 x4's.

Thanks to all y'all for your input--as soon as it gets above freezing...i'm headed back out to try it for real.

earl

Comment

• Carpenter96
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2011
                              • Barrie ON Canada
                              • BT 3000

Jigs

There are many books on jigs and fixtures. Some specific to a paticular machine, Table saw, Router etc. Wood Magazine, Popular Woodworking, Fine Woodworking, Shop Notes etc. I have quite a few jigs and some are very simple while others are quite complex and definately not for the beginer. We all start at zero and only progress by doing, trying and failing. No question is a foolish question because if we do not ask we may never know. Be safe, have fun and do not discount your skills. You can do projects out of cheaper woods at first but we all know that the vast quantity of wood species will call you and once you get hooked look out. I started out only making things from recycled wood from palllets. The way I look at jigs is if you are only expecting to make one of some thing a jig is probably a waste of time. The exception is safety. Regards Bob
                              Last edited by Carpenter96; 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...