• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sweensdv
    While many planers may run on the heavy side, their weight has little to do with their performance in most cases. Tool purchases should be based on how well that tool performs and not how much it weighs. Just because a tool happens to weigh a little more than what someone feels comfortable lifting is no reason not to buy it. Buy the best performing tool you can afford and some how make concessions for its weight but don't not buy it just because it's heavy.
    All other things being equal I'd buy the lighter one so I can move it without help.
    ITs a matter of opinion as to which is the best "portable" class planers but the Dewalt falls at or near the top for both weight and cost.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jnesmith
      • Jan 2003
      • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Originally posted by Skaning

The 735 on the other hand is a half inch wider (never had a need to go wider than 11 1/2") and has an additional blower to clear chips out of the machine. That I think is the most significant difference. There appears to be some other "user friendly features added BUT the infeed and outfeed extensions are extra on the 735 and you will want those.
      I don't think the 734 has 2 speeds, like the 735.
      John

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Don't even think, BUY IT

Sorry I'm coming into this late, but I've had the 735 since it first came out. Got it at Lowe's and it cost me $300.00.
        I've been using it ever since and I run some really dense stock thru it.
        Bloodwood, Ebony, Bocote, Goncalo Alves and more. It never fails to satisfy me. Even the final thickness stop works flawlessly.

Even though it has two speeds, I've never been able to see a difference between them. Almost no snipe, I use the acessory feed leaves that DeWalt makes.

It is a bit noisy, but I really haven't anything to compare it to.
        Don't even mess around, just buy it, it's well worth the extra money. And as for being heavy, I have it on a shop made movable stand, so that's no problem for me. It never leaves the shop.
        And I have mine connected to a Rigid Shop vac and it works pretty darn good.
        Bruce
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• 3thumbs
          Established Member
          • Oct 2008
          • Northern Colorado
          • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

I bought the 734 a couple of years ago from Tool King in Denver, new, on sale for $270. I put it into a flip top table and it really is an improvement over my old Delta. The 735 is probably a better tool but at a much, much higher price.
          DM

Comment

Working...