• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

Router / Miter suggestions

I have the BT300 with the Router kit and with the table extension - I have an old Craftsman router that is very difficult to get the depth settings correct - If I was to be in the market for a new router to leave attached to the BT3K extension - is there a model/brand that is optimal for the set up. Secondly - I would like to get a couple of sliding Miter Gages for the table extension slots - any advice on what works reasonably well. For back ground - I do not make fine furniture - mostly shelves, carts/stands and hobby craft storage (loml is into stained glass big time) . Want to start learning to make drawers and boxes , but need to figure out consistent joints. Thanks in advance for any direction.
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the BT3 FAQ has a detailed description of routers and their relationship to the BT3
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

When you say that you have "table extension" and you want a miter gauge for it - are you talking about "dual slot miter table" like in the link below?
      http://bt3000.com/Auctions/Ryobi/MST...Dual_Slot.html
      If so - it has a standard size slots (3/4" X 3/8") and almost any miter gauge will work with it. Which one you want will depend on how accurate you need it to be. I am satisfied with a fairly cheap Craftsman gauge like this
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-10...item43ac488510
      For more accuracy you can look an various offers from incra - they range from V27 (about $60) to 1000HD (around $200).
      Also you did not mention anything about native to BT3000 sliding miter table. (It is the left-most piece in the first link above). Are you looking for miter gauge because you do not like the SMT or because you don't have it?
      If you don't have - you might want to start with it. It is accurate for small scale work. It has a travel of about 16".
      And also - why would you want a couple of miter gauges? I would think one is enough. People sometimes put miter slots on both sides of the blade (like in the first link) to be able to use sleds and registering them on both sides of the blade with runners for accuracy.
      Alex V

Comment

• BeauxTi
        Established Member
        • Jan 2012
        • Georgetown Texas
        • Ryobi BT300

I am looking for something to use to attach a jig for Box joints - for accuracy I am looking for something that is 90 degrees from the balde and will stay that way. I use the SMT but wanted this set up to stay put - not looking for the gold standard. And yes I want to use it on the Ryobi table extension that has the two Miter slots. I just thought once I have the Jig set up - I could leave it that way. I am open to suggestions, I am new to this Jig stuff.
        Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....

Comment

Working...