• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aimlesssoul
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Illinois, Will County

What book's for the library???

Sorry to keep asking these newb questions. Just picked up a copy of Table Saw Magic, what else should I be on the lookout for. Thanks in advance.

By the way loring if I can find the Freud Box Joint blade set are you still interested?

Aimless
    I am in shape. Round is a shape!
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

There are thousands of woodworking books out there. We all have our favorite titles, and most of us have bought at least one or two disappointments. It would help to know a little about what your needs are ... the kind of projects you'd like to build, what tools you own or plan to own, whether you're interested in hand tools or are strictly a power-tool kinda guy, etc.
    Larry

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

One of the most fascinating books to me is Hoadley's "Understanding Wood".
      "Finish" by Flexner is also great.

Technique books such as routers, table saws, Jigs etc are great but fundamental problems arise from lack of understanding of the characteristics of wood, wood types, wood movement and also finishes. I have some woodworking pieces still in use today from 30 years ago and it is obvious that I lacked the understanding of wood movement and finishes back then.

The two above books are great. The finest and most precise tools and techniques in the world don't make up for the "lack of wood or finish understanding."
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

There's a sale going on now at the Fine Woodworking shop:
        Taunton Store online hobbyist bookstore. Shop special interest books, ebooks, magazines & videos. Free shipping on orders over $49!

Understanding Wood (Hardcover) is $20. http://www.tauntonstore.com/understa...ey-070490.html

Lee's Complete Guide to Sharpening is pretty good. http://www.tauntonstore.com/the-comp...ee-070256.html
        Last edited by pelligrini; 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM.
        Erik

Comment

• natausch
          Established Member
          • Aug 2009
          • Aurora, IL
          • BT3000 - 15A

Huge fan of Sandor Nagyszalanczy's Workshop Jigs & Fixtures. Lots of inspiration.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

In the way of periodicals, I personally subscribe to ShopNotes and Wood Magazine. Both are excellent magazines, with easy to follow projects for a beginner, and more advanced stuff for guys and gals with more experience... And they are often chock full of jigs, and shop fixtures type projects that you can use as skill builders...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...