• Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

PU, stain, glue etc and freezing

I am cleaning my shop. Living in Minnesota, all material in the shop are exposed to temperatures between (roughly) -20F and 100F. Now I wonder what materials will survive that without loss in performance. I would think latex paint is probably gone, as is water-based PU. But what about:

- Oil-based PU
    - PU based glue (Gorilla etc)
    - CA
    - Oil-based stain
    - Water-based stain
    - Tung oil

Thanks

Gerd
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I can't say for certain, but most finishes and glues should be kept from extreme temperatures. I quit keeping all my glues and finishes out in the shop a few years ago. I have noticed that they last a lot longer now. I was more concerned with the lengthly periods of high heat that we get down here. My General Finishes stains state "Keep from Freezing" on the label.

I converted an old rackmount server cabinet into my finishes cabinet inside the house. I made several boxes/treys with handle cutouts so they can be easily moved out to the shop for the day. Normally, I just grab the can of wax and bottle of glue before I head out to my shed. I also keep my tapes in there too.

I read a good article by Bob Flexner on storing finishes recently. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...nish_materials Some good info in there.
    Erik

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

It just so happens that I was reading my can of poly yesterday (Minwax) and it stated "Keep from freezing".

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

"Keep from Freezing" - I wonder how that is to be interpreted? "Freezing" means different temps to different liquids. It would be nice for them to give a more specific answer.

I can see water based finishes freezing between around 32° to 25°F, where as oil based can go way down to below 20°F.

So, I wonder if the labels mean freezing as in 32°, or as in the liquid itself freezing.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

maybe keep a portable tray or box of common finishes and glues you can take to the shop when you work... you should definately keep them from extreme temperatures - like less than 40 F or so and not more than about 80 F.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

If a can of Minwax Poly freezes, it stays milky white even after it dries. That stuff is really hard to sand off, by the way.
            Chr's

Comment

Working...