• Show
Clear All
  • Rounder
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Sanford, FL, USA.
    • BT3100

New Workshop

It has been a long time since I have been on the forum. Things have severely changed for me, some for the good and some for the bad. I am going through a brutal divorce and the soon to be ex-wife has basically stolen my entire woodshop. I doubt I will ever see it again. So I am starting from scratch.

I am thinking of getting the Sears 10" hybrid (22116) tablesaw. After that I have a very limited budget to replace the power tools. I need suggestions of inexpensive but good machines to replace the ones I had. I am looking for a bandsaw, drill press, router table, jointer and lathe.

My budget is about $3,000.00. I want to go back to building chests, boxes and the like.
    George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Sorry to hear that bad news Rounder but welcome back! It has been so long since I've spent any money on tools that I'm no longer sure where the bargains are.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Sucks isn't the word. I know that Sears will have two of the cabinet-style saws on sale starting Friday. I'll check when I get home which models they are and how much they will be.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

The Ridgid R4512 the replacement to the R4511 is soon to be in Home Depots new tooline starting at $499, might be an alternative to the craftsman, and carrys the Ridgid Limited Lifetime warranty

Comment

• DrChas
          Established Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Burlington, Vt, USA.

Rounder;

I went through a tough divorce. My lawyer gave me the good advice to never haggle over property, and to never show interest in things. She ended up getting all my tools, and about two years later I got most of them back. What are the chances she is going to set up a table saw and actually use it? At some point she wanted the junk out of her basement, and I refused unless I got all of it. About the only thing I lost was a planer that she gave away to one of her girlfriends (I am not sure whether "girlfriend" was in the biblical sense or not . . .). Interestingly she did give away all of my beer making supplies, but she gave them to a mutual friend, who promptly gave them back to me.

Bottom line: Be patient, wait for the anger to subside, and you may win in the end. These are guy toys (sorry woman woodworkers, I know there are exceptions), and she is not interested in them, except as a way to push your buttons.

In the mean time, look on the bright side. Now you have cleaned house, and your still barely functioning old tools are not standing in the way of getting cool new tools.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

The 22116 will be $799.99 this weekend. Entirely possible to get it for less, but through tomorrow it's $769.49 with the current promotions.

But I'd also look at that 4512 if you're looking to save.

Forgot to add, it's that price for Craftsman Club members.
            Last edited by Cochese; 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Rounder's a judge (Magistrate?) Can't you rule on your own divorce or is that a conflict of interest?

Good luck with the new tools. as Chas says, whats she going to do with them but piss you off. She may very well get tired of them, soon.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Good luck Rounder, hopefully she stubs her toe on them one too many times and begs you to take them
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Tamarack
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2003
                  • Speedwell, TN USA
                  • BT3100

Don't forget to keep your eye on Craigslist, sometimes a real deal pops up.
                  Paul

Comment

• unknown poster
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Tamarack
                    Don't forget to keep your eye on Craigslist, sometimes a real deal pops up.
                    Paul
                    Yea, there's a lot of divorced wives selling tools for cheap on CL.

Comment

• pinghenglin

i am sorry to see the ban news about Rounder. wish you good luck.

Comment

• Rounder
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Sanford, FL, USA.
                        • BT3100

I was a Magistrate. The state of Florida dis away with my job because of the budget. I am collecting disability due to my medical condition.
                        George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."

Comment

Working...