This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimendo

Over arm blade guard help

Hello all, I am new here and very interested in building an over arm blade guard for my Craftsman version of the BT3. I don't want to reinvent the wheel and I am hoping that someone might share what they have done Thank you - Jim
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Welcome!

You might just have to reinvent the wheel. I don't recall seeing one, or anyone speaking about using one for a BT3 or 21829. I looked through many posts and articles in here when I got mine from sears. There's been a little discussion on other aftermarket over arm guards.

Have you seen Leestyron's Shark Guard? http://www.leestyron.com/ I didn't like the guard that came with my 21829. I hardly ever used it. My shark hardly ever comes off my saw, and the riving knife almost never. (except for dadoes and box joints). It's one of the best things I've bought for my 21829. It ranks right up there with the router lift I put between some half rail extensions.

Any particular reason you want an over arm guard?
    Erik

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

I second the comment on the Shark guard. I made an over arm guard for my Bt3, but ditched it in favor of the Shark.

There are Pics of what I came up on my webshots page, just follow the link under my name. This might give you some ideas.
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I've used a Biesemeyer on a old Rockwell/Delta. They are pretty simple. Just keep in mind they limit the width of material you can cut to the size of your table.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Jimendo

Hey there Erik thanks for your response no particular reason other than I had seen a picture somewhere of a set up that looked good. I am not a big fan of the stock guard and thought I would ask here for advise. This is not my main saw I have a felder KF700SP that has a really nice guard with good dust collection. I will check the Shark out
          Thanks again. Jim

Comment

• Jimendo

Larry thanks for the response I think I saw a picture of your set up sometime back and thought I would like to do something similar. Is yours the setup with the shark attached to it or did you scrap the arm all together? From the pictures I could not help but notice the bottle rack do you "brew" as well. I am getting ready to try my hand at all grain here very soon. Thanks for your help. Jim

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Ditto the shark gaurd even though I just modified my stock splitter even thougth I run a 5 HP cabinet but I believe any stock splitter I have seen can be modified with some careful thought...

But.. I have to ask! What do you use the Craftsman for when you have a Felder sitting in the wings? I'm sure there is a good reason but I simply can't imagine what it is?

BTW.. here's a stock splitter after a little touch up on my part.
              Attached Files

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

That bottle rack was for a buddy of mine who brews, I just drink it!
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• scmhogg
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                  • BT3000

Larry,

That is one of the prettiest "failed" project I have ever seen.

Your photo site scared the crap out of me. I was looking at your photos, when a loud tune started [I guess I had the sound turned up for Stevie Ray Vaughn] touting a toilet cleaning project. I guess it was just the "commercial".

Steve
                  I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• phi1l
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Madison, WI

Originally posted by scmhogg
                    Larry,

That is one of the prettiest "failed" project I have ever seen.

Your photo site scared the crap out of me. I was looking at your photos, when a loud tune started [I guess I had the sound turned up for Stevie Ray Vaughn] touting a toilet cleaning project. I guess it was just the "commercial".

Steve
                    I have to say, that after you look at a few of those pictures that commercial become one of the most annoying things I have experienced in quite a while

Comment

• Jimendo

Hello Sarge thanks for the comments. The Felder is a great machine but it has a 9' sliding table and latley I have been build small stringed instruments. Actually Cigar Box Guitars (www.cigarcitycbgs.blogspot.com if you want to see one) one day as I was walking through Sears I came across the Craftsman at a very good price (sliding table, router table very portable and I could use my old dado blades) It was a no brainer I treat the machine with respect and as many here know it's a pretty good machine...
                      I am going to get the Shark... Thanks again - Jim

Comment

Working...