• Show
Clear All
  • JimDantin
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2009
    • Prospect, KY
    • BT3000

I scored big, now I'm a BT3000 owner!

Scored a BT3000 for $100 off Craigslist (Louisville). I'm just starting to plan a shop in a new house, so the BT3000 was a great find. My interests are more towards the utility end rather than fine woodworking, but who knows where I'll end up.

This started with me needing to set up a METALWORKING shop -- I just needed some woodworking tools to build benches, tables, etc., and I will also be doing some DIY remodeling on the house. I've been checking out the Craigslist ads and already scored a 12" DeWalt DW716 miter saw. Couldn't pass up the BT3000.

I tore it down, cleaned it up, adjusted everything, and replaced the shims. This is an amazingly well-designed machine that is easily tuned. The only thing missing is the saw guard. Do they shop up used? Or, should I just go ahead and buy one now before I'm temped to start using the saw without it?

I'm interested in getting the router mount and found the 8 piece accessory kit at Home Depot that seems to be a reasonable price for what you get. Comments/recommendations?

I've been reading all the postings and following the threads to other sites. I appreciate all the articles and tips that you all have written.

I'm going to build a 3' x 4' benchtop for the BT3000 -- it will provide a nice work surface and a place for my miter saw during construction of my shop.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

welcome to the forum.

you will find the answers to the questions you asked in my BT3 FAQ. See my sig line below.

p.s. the FAQ discusses the utility of the accessory kit and stytooners excellent blade guard replacement.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Welcome to the Asylum, Jim! Any questions about the saw or woodworking in general you can come up with someone will be able to answer. (Also legal, psyphological, medical, cars/trucks/motorcycles....)

Rather than look for a stock guard, by a Shark Guard. Stytooner, a long time member, makes and sells them. Far superior to, and safer than, the stock guard.

Also email Lchein for a copy of the BT3 FAQ's.

Edit: You snuck in on me, Loring!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Nice find and welcome to the hands down best forum of its kind!
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Welcome Jim. Great find. Join in the fun here - metal or wood discussion as well as other things!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• natausch
            Established Member
            • Aug 2009
            • Aurora, IL
            • BT3000 - 15A

Welcome aboard.

LarrryG posted a dual purpose extension wing/router mount very recently. Details at the link below. I'll start working on my version in a few weeks, but very excited to see it in action.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=29738

The accessory kit from Home Depot, lots of good and bad in it.

Miter Clamp - very good
            Dual Miter Slot Table - very good

Casters - very bad - The rails are aluminum so you have to be very careful using them in a wheelbarrel situation
            Dust Bag - Bad, unless you're only using passive dust collection. The 90 degree turn is useful for hooking up DC, especially if you have the folding outfeed table (love mine!)

Router Accessory Kit - good and bad. Using the fence kit requires lots of set-up. It does make the accessory table more useful than just additional workpiece support

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Welcome!

The shark guard is a very nice add on, highly reccomended. I usually left my OEM guard off. The riving knife and easily removable guard part of the shark is always on my saw now. It can really improve dust collection too.
              Erik

Comment

• Garasaki
                • Sep 2006

Congrats!

I have found that dust collection greatly improves the "enjoyability" factor in woodworking for me. Consider addressing that problem. Even a shop vac equipped with a drywall bag and good filter is a step in the right direction.

I echo what others have said about the shark guard. There are 2 downsides to it: Price (I'm not saying it isn't worth it, it's just expensive), and the waiting period.

Many people work w/o the blade guard. I try to work with it on but it is a huge hassle to constantly be installing/uninstalling. Not only is it safe (the BT3k bladeguard actually is one of the best available, with a splitter and prawls) but it aids in dust collection (even though there is no connection to the guard itself).

If you are interested, I believe I've scored a good deal on a shark guard - I would send you my stock guard for the cost of shipping when my shark arrives.
                -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                -Henry Blake

Comment

• JimDantin
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2009
                  • Prospect, KY
                  • BT3000

Thanks to all of you for the quick replies. Sharing and helping others -- you can't go wrong in that environment!

One of the forum members already offered me a stock guard -- I looked at the Shark Guard and agree it is a great improvement. I'll probably get one in the future, but it will have to wait until I acquire other necessities first.

I picked up some casters at Lowes today -- I will add a proper handle and promise not to use my rails as wheelbarrow handles!

FYI, the caster is Waxman model #0400 4 in. gray rubber. The mounting holes are a perfect match and the ball bearings allow for smooth rolling.

Comment

• tjr
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • at the falls of the Ohio
                    • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

Welcome - am also in Louisville for what it's worth, as are I think a few others here. Also did well off craigslist - one for $100 and another for $75.

Might I ask where you got the shims? Now that the Sears parts store is closed, there doesn't seem to be a good choice other than paying shipping.

Comment

• jabe
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Hilo, Hawaii
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Welcome Jim. I agree the shark guard is great. I bought it with everything, anti kickback pawls, blade guard , riving knife and push stick, well made, quality product. But I find myself just using only the riving knife 99% of the time.

Comment

• JimDantin
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2009
                        • Prospect, KY
                        • BT3000

I got the shims at my neighborhood hardware store! Doesn't your hardware store stock them? :-)

All I did was buy a strip of polished stainless steel out of their hobby supply display -- they stock a range of aluminum, brass, and stainless pieces like tubing, bar stock and sheet. It is branded K&S Engineering. The stainless was about 3/4" wide by a foot long and .010" thick. Not an exact match, but close enough. 1" wide would be better.

I trimmed it to length with a pair of tin snips, clamped it into a vise, bent it in half. Then snipped the corners and bent over the ears. A bit of adjusting with a small hammer and pliers, and it fit great. No binding, no wobble, smooth blade adjustment.

Check your local hobby stores if you don't have a hardware store -- the big box stores typically don't carry anything like this. Here is a mailorder source
                        http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s7155.htm
                        That pack of 8 pieces would be a lifetime supply for you and a few friends for only $5.79! Shipping will add to the cost, of course, so now the lifetime supply costs a whopping $11.74!

I was going to add the shim support mod, but got lazy.
                        Last edited by JimDantin; 11-14-2009, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JimDantin
                          I got the shims at my neighborhood hardware store! Doesn't your hardware store stock them? :-)

All I did was buy a strip of polished stainless steel out of their hobby supply display -- they stock a range of aluminum, brass, and stainless pieces like tubing, bar stock and sheet. It is branded K&S Engineering. The stainless was about 3/4" wide by a foot long and .010" thick. Not an exact match, but close enough. 1" wide would be better.

I trimmed it to length with a pair of tin snips, clamped it into a vise, bent it in half. Then snipped the corners and bent over the ears. A bit of adjusting with a small hammer and pliers, and it fit great. No binding, no wobble, smooth blade adjustment.

Check your local hobby stores if you don't have a hardware store -- the big box stores typically don't carry anything like this. Here is a mailorder source
                          http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s7155.htm
                          That pack of 8 pieces would be a lifetime supply for you and a few friends for only $5.79! Shipping will add to the cost, of course, so now the lifetime supply costs a whopping $11.74!

I was going to add the shim support mod, but got lazy.

I like your style! Congratulations!
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...