• Show
Clear All
  • richclemson
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2009
    • Madison, WI
    • BT3000

Woodline Router bit thoughts??

Anyone have any thoughts on woodline router bits? I was thinking about buying a set of 30 to start off with....
  • skillybob
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Cedar Park, Texas
    • BT3100

I can only tell you about my experience - I don't know what anyone else has to say. I bought two bits on special - both failed pretty early on. One - a 1/2 inch bit I believe, shattered . That was enough for me . I'm now using Whiteside and Infinity bits. I'm sure there are others that will just rave about them. Just my two cents.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

why not MLCS (www.mlcswoodworking.com) - free shipping, good customer service, I've had good luck with their bits and they'll stand behind their stuff.
      they have a 33-piece set I think for around $99. Pretty much their major business is bits - they know them well.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I have about a dozen or more Woodline bits, mostly molding bits because they had the specific size and shape that I wanted. I have had them about 8 - 9 years and have not had a problem with them. I have a set of 5 chamfer from them also.

I don't use them on a regular basis but I have not had a problem with them. Most of mine are bought for specific projects and as such are not used regularly. I agree with the Whiteside - most of the time I will buy from whiteside if available.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I view the Woodline as decent quality import bits that are on par with MLCS, Holbren, Grizzly green, and the Woodcraft (Woodriver) bits. Not on par with Whiteside, Infinity, but good value, and good service. A 30 pc set is about as large as I'd consider. Get 1/2" shank if your router accepts them.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Knottscott
            A 30 pc set is about as large as I'd consider. Get 1/2" shank if your router accepts them.
            Agreed on both points, but I'd take the second point even further and advise not buying a large set at all unless one owns a router with a 1/2" collet. There are only about half-a-dozen bit sizes/profiles for which a 1/4" shank is really viable. Bits are disposables and will eventually have to be replaced, but a 30pc set with 1/4" shanks is not a good investment even for the short haul.
            Larry

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LarryG
              Agreed on both points, but I'd take the second point even further and advise not buying a large set at all unless one owns a router with a 1/2" collet. There are only about half-a-dozen bit sizes/profiles for which a 1/4" shank is really viable. Bits are disposables and will eventually have to be replaced, but a 30pc set with 1/4" shanks is not a good investment even for the short haul.
              That's a good point Larry. Even a 30pc set is pushing it for me. One of the major reasons I don't recommend large sets is because of the number of near duplicate profiles with the larger set. You're not really gaining many, if any, specialty profiles in the mix. Even with 1/2" shank, many of the larger sets are overkill (IMHO) with 6-8 straights, 6-8 roundovers, 4 or 5 chamfers, 4 coves, 3 core box bits, 3 or more dovetails, 2 or more V-grooves, etc., that you pay for, often without even knowing what bits you like, and often with little to no additional price break per bit compared to a basic set...in fact, the MLCS 15 pc set is actually cheaper per bit than the larger sets. I suppose it could be argued that the large sets give ample selection to choose from, but there are typically only a handful of profiles that most people use regularly, but needs do vary... rabbet, cove, roundovers, straights, pattern/template straight bit, chamfer, and ogee are the most common....and even the ogee can be done with a cove and a roundover. It's common to want a couple of different sizes of roundover, and 3-4 pc sets of roundovers are commonly available, same with straights. From there, many people will still want a table edge bit, panel raising set(s), bullnose, various molding profiles, etc...the need/want for specialty profiles is nearly infinite.

My point being, a 6-15 pc set will usually suffice for the basics....leave some budget for the numerous specialty profiles.

(sorry about the length....good coffee, and a day off! )
              Last edited by Knottscott; 09-23-2009, 09:03 AM.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• smorris
                • Apr 2003
                • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I got the plantation shutter set of bits from Woodline and have been pleased with them.
                --
                Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• herb fellows
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • New York City
                  • bt3100

In that price category, I would choose Holbren. good bits for the money and Brian is a-ok.
                  You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I would definitely prefer to support Holbren, as he's a member and I appreciate what he does. That being said, I'll shop Holbren, MLCS, and Woodline to see who has the best prices. Woodline has $4 shipping (at least last time I checked), and has prices that can't be beat. Lifetime warranty on their "cheap" bits, though I've never needed to use that. I've bought several flush trim bits, several spiral bits, a rabbeting set, and a massive 1-1/4" roundover from them. Haven't had any issues. I have a whiteside flush trim bit- and I'm sorry- I don't see any difference (other than the fact the Whiteside was a LOT more $$).

FWIW....

Comment

• richclemson
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jul 2009
                      • Madison, WI
                      • BT3000

Thanks for all for your comments. I picked up a new set for $40 from ebay. I do wish it was the 1/2 inch set, but it isn't. As a few of you pointed out, I do have a need for a few different round overs, a straight and rabbit bit now. Seemed like a cost effective way to get bits to make it through my first few projects. It will serve as a starting point and I think I will upgrade to nice bits on an as needed basis now.

Comment

Working...