X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rihamy2nd

Project for 1/2 inch plywood

Showing my Noobiness...

I jumped the gun and bought some 1/2" arauco plywood because I really liked the grain pattern on this one particular sheet. Of course, none of the 3/4 inch sheets looked nearly as good. I DID have a specific project in mind, which I later figured wasn't something I wanted to make out of wood.

Now, I'm not sure what to make. I can't recall seeing any project plans that call for 1/2 inch stock. I've searched, but no matter how I type in my keywords, the results are always irrelevent. Does anyone know of any plans, free or otherwise, that I could use this for.

Thanks. I love this site.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

The sides and back stretcher of my wife's step stool were made from 1/2" sanded pine ply from the BORG. The treads and stretchers across the front were made from 3/4" solid SYP. Maybe a step stool? Grab a copy of Sketchup and go crazy, let your imagination work for you... Boxes are always good. If you don't have one yet, a Thien trash can cyclone separator is always a winner...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

rihamy2nd,
      What did you intend to make in the first place? There's nothing that says you couldn't laminate the 1/2in ply onto a thin substrate (like 1/2in MDF) and work with that - might require some creative edgebanding and joinery, but I can think of some shop cabinet projects for that.

Also, you can use it as a back panel for cabinets, bookshelves, etc.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• rihamy2nd

My original plan was for speaker stands for my studio monitor speakers. After researching it more (AFTER purchasing the wood - this was really spur-of-the-moment), I had decided to use concrete to reduce/eliminate resonant frequencies that others claimed they got from some of their stands.

Now, I think I'll just shake the audiophile snobiness, and go ahead with my original plan. Even if they aren't perfectly suited for speakers, they can be later used as some other decorative stand for a vase, picture, etc.

What depth of dado is OK for 1/2 inch wood? I've read that you shouldn't go more than half the thickness. I was considering 3/16 to leave a little more substance, since I'm doing the dados for internal bracing, not shelves or anything that will hold any weight.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

3/16 should be fine but it really depends on how big the spans are and how much other structural support you have.

Not sure where you got the ply (HD stuff can warp really badly) but IMHO I would try and plan all the cuts and assembly in one session. if you cut and then leave the pieces for too long I can virtually guarantee some if not all of them will no longer be straight
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

Working...