• Show
Clear All
  • rxvii
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2009
    • Cheshire, CT
    • Ryobi BTS21 with miter channel

BTS21 Panel Cutting Jig

I just purchased a BTS21 table saw. Being a novice, I didn't realize the importance of a mitre slot, which, of course, the BTS21 doesn't have. Has anyone built a panel cutting jig for the BTS21 that works? I tried, and it works to a point, but it's still not quite precise enough for what I need. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm also assuming that a mitre slot table attachment is not available for the saw. Thanks.
    rxvii
    As Sir Isaac Newton replied in answer to an important question, "Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest; chickens in motion tend to cross the road!"
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

RX,
    Welcome to the forum!

I think our user DBHOST has/had a BTS21, and not sure how he worked a panel sled or Miter Slot Table (MST). You might be able to buy a MST for the BT3x and modify to fit your BTS 21 (others who own the aluminum MST can comment on this.) I made my own (as have others) - you can buy Incra miter track for this, and then you can build a panel sled to suit - there are several examples here - user POOLHOUND has this, user CGALLERY has this, and I just made this.

Regards,
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by b0330923
      RX,
      Welcome to the forum!

I think our user DBHOST has/had a BTS21, and not sure how he worked a panel sled or Miter Slot Table (MST). You might be able to buy a MST for the BT3x and modify to fit your BTS 21 (others who own the aluminum MST can comment on this.) I made my own (as have others) - you can buy Incra miter track for this, and then you can build a panel sled to suit - there are several examples here - user POOLHOUND has this, user CGALLERY has this, and I just made this.

Regards,
      Yes, I had a BTS-21, which is a fine little job site saw. But the lack of the miter slot is a bit vexing...

You have a couple of options, one is REALLY easy, the other, not so much, but not terrible.

The easy option would be to make a panel sled that was "fence biased" meaning that you aligned the fence at a PRECISE distance from the blade, and the sled rode along the fence. This is not what I would call ideal. This was my first attempt, and it really left me wanting.

The second option, and the one I did for a brief while, and my friend still has it, is to make an overlay table top for the BTS-21. Mine hooked over the right side, and adjusted with 2 star knobs, threaded through thread inserts, and pressing on each end of the cord wrap, I cut a 3/4" wide 3/8" deep dado all the way accross (slot I guess?) and build a quick & dirty sled to go with that. It took a bit to square it, but once square, the sled rode true. This made the saw a LOT easier to live with. But that particular saw is quirky. I don't want to slam it though. It IS a fine saw for what it is. I would still much rather have that saw than say the Skil table saw even though those have miter slots...
      Last edited by dbhost; 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Bump, I changed my prior response to give more info...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• rxvii
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2009
          • Cheshire, CT
          • Ryobi BTS21 with miter channel

b0330933

Thanks for the info. I think I will try the Incra mitre track route. I'll let you all know how it works.

rxvii
          rxvii
          As Sir Isaac Newton replied in answer to an important question, "Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest; chickens in motion tend to cross the road!"

Comment

Working...