X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

MDF projects question

I'm working on some projects with my grand kids and I'm using MDF (for cost control) I'm finding an issue that I have never run ac cross using real wood. After making a shelf with them and making molding I find that the MDF has many pits etc because it pulls out the particles rather then cutting them as it does in wood and leaves a very rough surface that needs to be filled before sanding. Wood filler is to $$$$$ to use that much of it. is there something else that others have used. Below is a picture of the project we are working on right know my grand kids are from 7 to 11 and I have started working the 11 year old on the router table and table saw under very close supervision. the other 2 do sanding and cutting on the scroll saw and bandsaw (supervised of course)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by master53yoda; 07-16-2009, 03:01 PM.
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I can't tell the size of the piece in your first photo, but that doesn't look like MDF to me. That looks like particleboard.

Given reasonably sharp cutters, MDF machines quite nicely. At most a milled edge will feel slightly fuzzy as you run a finger over it. I don't thick I've ever experienced anything I'd call "tear-out" with MDF.
    Last edited by LarryG; 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
    Larry

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

yeah -- looks like particle board to me, too.

If it's edges you're trying to clean up, have you considered iron-on edge banding? It looks pretty good after it's trimmed to size, and it's very simple to "install".
      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Another notice that that looks like particleboard and not MDF.

Particleboard is "Chunkier" than MDF and FAR more prone to tear out.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• docrowan
          • Mar 2007
          • New Albany, MS
          • BT3100

MDF is pretty easy to seal the edges. I smooth it with a little with sandpaper, then run a bead of white glue down the edge. I run my finger down the edge to coat the glue all over, trying to work it into the MDF. I let the glue dry for several hours, then hit it again with 220 grit sandpaper. Seals the porous MDF and leaves a nice smooth edge, almost as smooth as the top.

If you are working with particle board, I have to agree with the others that you're going to have a hard time. Since you're painting it, how about drywall joint compound? Cheap and easy, sands pretty smooth. I haven't tried it myself but I've read about the technique several times.
          - Chris.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I was thinking a plaster type filler too.

That doesn't look like MDF either. It appears to be a type of strand board, the wood chips are larger than most particleboard I've seen.
            Erik

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Perhaps this is OSB? Agree that the particles appear too large for MDF or particle board.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• master53yoda
                Established Member
                • Oct 2008
                • Spokane Washington

Maybe I'm calling wrong when I call it MDF it is the same stuff they make prefab counter top out of. the edges that I'm having trouble with have been formed with the molding bits I have for the router. the saw edges aren't bad because I use and 80 tooth blade in the BT3000 and a 60 tooth on my breakdown table. the router bits work fine on normal wood. I'm going to try using drywall compound as I can get it in a gallan bucket from Lowes cheap. I don't know why I never thought of sheet rock mud, I've used enough of it.

That piece in the first pic is a close up of 1 1/2" molding
                Last edited by master53yoda; 07-16-2009, 05:24 PM.
                Art

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• RodKirby
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                  • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

THIS is MDF...

1/2" sides, 1/4" "shelf" - routs and cuts beautifully

Click image for larger version

Name:	cod3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	784390
                  Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• master53yoda
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • Spokane Washington

from your picture what I'm using isn't MDF Lowes best particle board is what it is. I'd like to thank every one here for all the comments and info.
                    Art

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

What you appear to have is chipboard... I have sealed the edges before with fiberglass resin, and then sanded (ventilate the shop, wear a mask).

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

Assuming it's going to be painted, I second the joint compound idea. I have used it in the past and it works well. You do need to seal it, I used an exterior oil primer that I thinned down some. Primarily because that is what I had. Wallboard primer/sealer would work well too.

Have fun with the kids and don't forget the finished photo!

Bill

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Particle board and chipboard are generic terms for a type of composite board. Their density can be varied by the size of the particle. OTOH, underlayment is a type of composite, the particles are much larger. The pictures posted could be a type of OSB, as it appears the size of the particles are much larger than ordinary particle board.

Edges can be sealed with glues, like white or yellow, or with several applications of waterbased polyurethane. In a jam, shellac could even be used. There are a few remedies for surface fixes, such as Durhams Rock Hard, spackle, drywall compound, wood putty, and Bondo.

Comment

• jking
                            • May 2003
                            • Des Moines, IA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            Particle board and chipboard are generic terms for a type of composite board. Their density can be varied by the size of the particle. OTOH, underlayment is a type of composite, the particles are much larger. The pictures posted could be a type of OSB, as it appears the size of the particles are much larger than ordinary particle board.

Edges can be sealed with glues, like white or yellow, or with several applications of waterbased polyurethane. In a jam, shellac could even be used. There are a few remedies for surface fixes, such as Durhams Rock Hard, spackle, drywall compound, wood putty, and Bondo.
                            I recall an article in one of the magazines a few years ago (Wood Mag, IIRC) that used particleboard for a project & sealed it with thinned down wood glue. I think they just used yellow wood glue thinned with water at a 1-to-1 ratio. I think it was a painted project, but, I don't remember for sure.

Comment

Working...