• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

This is tough! Best advice, look for bargains. But for basic woodworking...

1. Bench saws.

Possibly sacrilege - a good RAS, tuned up, with a well-designed table, is capable of performing almost everything a TS and CMS/SCMS can do together. I went many years and projects with a RAS, some smaller power tools (circular saw, sabre-saw, router) for cutting, until I felt the "need" to add a TS and CMS, which was mainly for the ease of having certain functions dedicated to each machine. A good used RAS can usually be found for under $150; new, starting ~$650+. Add a good blade - another $50 to $100.

However, as TS and a SCMS are ultimately part of every woodworking shop, These can be had at various prices, but I'd aim for ~$650 for both (which obviates the RAS).

2. Small cordless power tools. I'd go for a kit that runs off the same batteries, like the Ryobi 1+ line or Craftsman C3 - I find the drill/driver, sabre-saw and trim-saw to be the most useful. I reach for my trim-saw before my corded CS for cutting most sheet goods - ensure you have a good blade and cutting guide - I recommend the AIO type guide. The sabre-saw is great for curve cuts you can't do on the BS. Combo sets vary, as does price by brand, but I'd plan for ~$250.

3. Router combo (fixed & plunge base). $100 and up. Also need a table, but that can be made (and might be a good first project.)

4. Sanders - for various needs, ROS, Spindle, Disc - probably another $250 minimum altogether.

5. Some kind of dust collection - can be a $100 shop vac with good HP, up to real DC for $$$.

Look for bargains, since some budget should be allocated to measuring and hand-tools, as others have suggested.
    Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 04-29-2009, 02:55 PM.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• WoodTherapist
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006

Lots of good advice here, so I won’t repeat what has been said. But here is a suggestion I would pass on to your friend:

Do not get in a hurry to outfit a shop or to build elaborate furniture and make inlayed do-dads. You will eventually be able to build anything you have a mind to, but the entire process can be savored, including building skills with simple projects and outfitting a shop a little bit at a time.

First off, spend some time thinking carefully about how each tool might get used before making a purchase. For tools that will receive light, occasional usage, Harbor Freight or equivalent might make sense. But for all other tools, it pays off in the long run to shell out more for top quality. I learned the hard way that it just does not make good sense to buy a cheap tool and then turn around a few months later and buy one of better quality. Do without, use your noggin to make do, and save your dough until you have enough cash to buy what you really need. Part of the fun of woodworking is trying to figure out how to solve problems and make something with what you have on hand. But nothing is more frustrating than trying to do something with a POS tool; and few things are more enjoyable than accomplishing what you set out to do with a quality tool that does exactly what you expect it to do.

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

My 2 cents:
        At first about different saws. If you plan to use sheet goods - you need circular saw. This tool is inexpensive and important. You can build a lot of things with just one saw.
        Table saw is a swiss army knife of stationary saws. It can do all basic types of cuts. It can make rip cuts, crosscuts and it can cut sheet goods. For every type of cut there is, however, something better. In order to cut sheet goods you will need first to bring the piece down in size with circular saw so you can manage it on a table. With good edge guide you can make decent cuts with just circular saw. Compound miter saw makes better crosscuts than table saw but it cannot rip or cut sheet goods. Band saw excels at rip cuts but it cannot do crosscuts or sheet goods at all. So if you plan to buy just one stationary saw - make it a table saw. But as you add other saws later - table saw will see less use. Jig saw is also usefull but it is a nice-to-have, not must-have.
        A drill press or corded drill is a must. Cordless drill is nice but not a must. If you can afford - get a drill press and a cordless drill.
        Workbench is important. If you want to learn - get yourself hardware for vises and build your own workbench.
        At least one router is important. If you want to have only one - make it a multi-base kit. Single router motor with interchangable bases. Most popular are Bosch 1617 ESVK andf Hitachi KM12VC. You can later make yourself a table to mount one of the bases.
        You need a sander. ROS (Random-Orbit Sander) is the most universal.
        To round up the list you need a shop vac to keep your shop clean, you need clamps to assemple whatever you are building and you need measuring tools.
        Alex V

Comment

• robtonya
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2009

I think a pocket hole jig would also come in handy, and don't cost that much. I would throw it in the list too.

Comment

• 180x
            Established Member
            • Dec 2006
            • North Augusta, SC
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LarryG
            It's interesting how this question is phrased. Most people would ask, "I want to get started in woodworking and I have $1500 to spend. What should I buy?" Asked that way, I'd give you a somewhat different answer. Still, if I were setting up a bare-bones woodworking shop from scratch, and was planning to start by spending $1500 on only five items, those are the five items I'd buy first, I think.
            I think that is probably more of what he meant, but he wanted to make certain that he at least had the five basic tools.

Originally posted by pelligrini
            You didn't mention the workspace this is going into. I'd assume it would be the garage. Most of this will fit into a fairly tight space.
            He's one of the lucky ones who already has a 40' x 20' building (boy am I envious).

Originally posted by radhak
            All other posts above have done a good job giving you the what. I think your friend could do himself a lot of good by joining a forum; and what's better than this one ! Lots to learn.
            He'll do just that before the night is out (we're working together tonite).
            Dwayne

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

The David Marks 4

table saw
              bandsaw
              jointer
              planer
              +
              dust collector

Now, in reality for 1500$ you can't really do it well. I would saw it REALLY depends on what you are making, or interested in making. For my type of wood working, it'd be a table saw, a router (for edge jointing), a planer (build a sled for face jointing), maybe a band saw or good jig saw depending upon $$$. ROS sander is nice, and reasonably affordable as well. And OF COURSE a shop vac with hepa filter if not a canister DC (which is probably impossible given the $), maybe a box fan+filter deal too.

The TS is dead set useful for rectilinear work and joinery, the planer moves you out of buying home depot lumber. A jointer is AWESOME, but you can do edge jointing with a router and face jointing with the planer, it's a pain, but very doable. Clamps and the lot of course...

also, maybe some $$$ for those cabinets you'll need to build for these bench tools.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• drlien
                Forum Newbie
                • Apr 2005
                • CLEAR LAKE, MN, USA.

I can't offer any better advice on tool selection over what's already been given, but I would caution anyone that jumps into a hobby and spends a bunch of money unless it's something they really have a passion for. I have an uncle that was convinced that he wanted to do a bunch of DIY welding projects so he spent a bundle of cash on welding equipment. That stuff has sat in the corner of his garage since 1989.

I never intended to get into woodworking. I bought a RAS for building a deck. A CMS for finishing a basement. That all evolved into bookshelves, cabinets, and other projects and the tool purchases continue to this day. The project has usually guided the tool aquisition process. I guess I'm rambling, but the forums and classes are important start to learn and maybe use some tools to get some equipment preferences. I would hate to see someone buy a bunch of stuff and then a year later be the guy on C-list with a posting that says "used this stuff for one project and it's been gathering dust since".

Comment

• rnelson0
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                  • Firestorm FS2500TS

Now, in reality for 1500$ you can't really do it well.
                  You can, if you buy used and get lucky. For $300 I was able to get a table saw, miter saw, circ saw, and a clamp or two. With some patience, hopefully my bandsaw, jointer, and planer will cost less than $1200, whenever I find a good deal.

I can't offer any better advice on tool selection over what's already been given, but I would caution anyone that jumps into a hobby and spends a bunch of money unless it's something they really have a passion for.
                  Another reason to hold on is preference and usage. I bought a bunch of crappy clamps when I started, wish I could get that $60 back and put it toward some better ones. I purchased a good circular saw but it is not the most comfortable to hold and view the sightline. After that, I started waiting until I found the right one - good clamps on sale, waited 12 months to get a corded drill that I would be satisfied with, etc.

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by 180x

He's one of the lucky ones who already has a 40' x 20' building (boy am I envious).
                    Wow! I can already see you spending some time there once it is stocked up !

drlien and rnelson have exactly said what I've been driving at too.

Buying a bunch of tools in one-fell-swoop is like when one of my friends decided to start a home-office-business : business stationery, office furniture, state-of-art laptop, printer, even an account with a CPA came first; then he looked up to go search for clients ! None came, and he held on stubbornly for almost two years before he threw in the towel and sold all that dirt-cheap.

And preference is very personal - all the tool reviews will not tell you something you personally want. I now know that I'd prefer to wait a looong time for the used but 'classy' tool, instead of buying new but cheap. The stuff I bought before that epiphany hit me hurts my eyes every time I look at the dust accumulated on it !
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
                      >
                      >
                      All other posts above have done a good job giving you the what. I think your friend could do himself a lot of good by joining a forum; and what's better than this one ! Lots to learn.
                      >
                      >

Next, if there's any community class / evening school on woodworking around you, it's worth much more than it's small fee : hands-on experience, and friendships with teachers and practitioners of the field. Even Woodcraft has some of these - highly recommended.
                      >
                      >
                      To sum it - woodworking is more than the tools; a get-familiar time of 3 months, or even 1 month, would do wonders for him.

This is excellent advice. Answering the OP's question would depend on what woodworking will be done. A person could plan for one segment, like turning, and then decide to build a cabinet. There's been a lot of good suggestions. I will say that part of the decision of the type of tools/machinery might also depend on how avid a woodworker the person is. If a living is dependent on tools, it's a different story.

I've got to mention that not long ago, maybe 100 plus years or so, there were no electric power tools. Craftsmen did magnificent woodwork. Those things that we think we have to have may not be as important as we think. When I started out a circular saw was my primary tool. There weren't plunge routers that I knew of, and I got along fine with a fixed base for many years.

The market and technology has modified our choices and what is made available for our convenience. I remember when cars had roll up windows. They worked just fine. I haven't had a car in 30+ years that had them. I think about the accidents where cars go into the water, or have an electrical malfunction, and then I really miss them.

Comment

• williamr
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Dec 2006
                        • Mazatlan or Toronto
                        • BT3000SX

What does he want to do?

Originally posted by 180x
                        I have a coworker who is getting into woodworking. He asked me what are the five most basic tools needed to begin (he states that he has absolutely nothing). Before I give him an answer, I thought I would make an inquiry here. This would include both portable and bench tools. He states that he would like to eventually build things like built in book shelves and entertainment centers. He's budget is approximately $1500 (lucky man!).

Any suggestions?
                        LinuxRandal said this -- but I will reiterate the question -- to do what?

-------------
                        $1500 buys a real nice lathe -- if that's his interest.

-----------------

Sheet good stuff? (Book cases, cabinets etc.)

Table saw with extensions
                        Appropriate assembly bench
                        Circular saw with clamp on guides
                        Lee Valley System 32 -- http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42311
                        Porter Cable Biscuit Machine (Model 557?) or dewalt

Porter Cable http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Dewalt -- http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=DW682K

Clamps of appropriate size and function
                        Hand Plane (For fitting trim)

Supplies like glue, biscuits dowels etc....

---------------

Stick Furniture?
                        Table saw with extensions -- good fence -- good miter
                        Appropriate assembly bench
                        Router (Hitachi -- Porter Cable?) with Decent table like ...http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=151&ID=19914
                        Hand Power Sander
                        Hand Plane
                        Thickness Planer
                        Set of appropriate clamps

Supplies like glue, sandpaper etc.
                        Wood Storage racks (e.g. Triton http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=WRA001 )

----------------

$1500 is a little light for doing serious stuff -- but it's a darn good start.

Maybe a good second hand table saw, and a good second hand bench if possible.

General International had a deal on some new imported tables -- I bought the bigger one and am waiting for delivery... this week I hope.
                        http://general.ca -- look at the "what's new" section and you will see two workbenches. 95-054 and 95-060

Comment

• rnelson0
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2008
                          • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                          • Firestorm FS2500TS

And preference is very personal - all the tool reviews will not tell you something you personally want. I now know that I'd prefer to wait a looong time for the used but 'classy' tool, instead of buying new but cheap. The stuff I bought before that epiphany hit me hurts my eyes every time I look at the dust accumulated on it !
                          The only thing I can recommend buying sight-unseen are some Bessey clamps, particularly the K-series (old, new, they are both good). The problem is that you could spend $1500 on clamps...and still need more

Comment

• Len
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Sep 2007
                            • Cary, NC
                            • BT3000

As others have said, "Too do what???"

A turner's needs are generally different that a cabinet makers, which are different than a joiners, which are..., etc.

Is your friend a budding Normite, or do his interests lean more towards acoustic tools? What you need to cut a mortise & tenon is a bit different for each.

More info would be a help.

Len

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

For those asking what kind of woodworking this fellow wants to do, here's the original post (boldfacing added):

"I have a coworker who is getting into woodworking. He asked me what are the five most basic tools needed to begin (he states that he has absolutely nothing). Before I give him an answer, I thought I would make an inquiry here. This would include both portable and bench tools. He states that he would like to eventually build things like built in book shelves and entertainment centers. He's budget is approximately $1500 (lucky man!)."
                              Larry

Comment

Working...