X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlux

Craftsman 21829 OR Bosch 4100-09????

Howdy!

I'm new here, but after stocking these threads for a while I determined that this was a good place for solid info!

I'm about to buy my first table saw and have narrowed it down to two:
    Craftsman 21829 and the Bosch 4100-09.
    I've been reading the comments about the 21829 from the previous post, and now that I've heard you all say many good things about it, I wanted to know how it stacked up against the Bosch.

I'm leaning towards the Bosch. My financial situation is about to drastically change, so I'd like to get the better of the two saws while I have the money to do so.

I'm thankful for your feedback in advance!
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

The 21289 has more accessories available and is more versatile IMO. Disclaimer Happy 21289 owner for years...
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• kirkroy
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Brunswick, MD

The tiny little table and short rails on the Bosch don't look good to me. While the 21829 doesn't have a big table it is easy and cheap to add on (I've done this myself, using melamine particle board).

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Previous discussion of the Bosch saw - seems like its a good saw.
        This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

My immediate comments:
        $600 vs $400 big difference.
        Seems like the 21829 maybe has more size, flexibility.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dabeeler
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006

I bought the Bosch 4100 through Amazon a little over a year ago. Put a Forrest Blade along with an Incra Miter Express on it and have no problems with the way it cuts. I also like the riving knife and guard setup on the saw. Did not get the gravity rise stand as I did not need the portability. Can't comment on the Craftsman.

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

craftsman 21829 or bosch 4100-09?

From what I have seen and heard about these saws ,they both have good and bad points...but while you are still looking and shopping around take a look at the Ridgid portable as well. It has some good features and is worth considering and is in the same price range the last time I checked on it.

I don't have either of the saws you listed as possible purchases...but I do have a BT3100 that has given good service and no trouble to me so far.
            The reason I suggested the Ridgid saw is, if you want/ need a portable saw
            it is a good one and you might like the portability of it if it is needed for jobsite work. I have modified my BT3100 so much it barely looks like the
            saw I originally bought in August '05...but I like doing things like that.Eezlock

Comment

• JeffG78
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
              • BT3100

I'm sure the OP knows this, but I was shocked to see the Sears has raised the price of the 21829 considerably. I went in a few days ago to pick up a few things and the had the 21829 on SALE for $502 Their new regular price is $549.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

JMHO

The Ryobi has more flexibility, BUT will not hold up as well to transport in the back of a truck. I prefer the Bosch stand (and still consider getting one separately to mount the BTclone series on at the farm)(I have at home gone to a guided circular saw system).

The 21829 does go on sale through the Craftsman club often (join if you haven't) or watch here for someone close, or CL. The last time I saw on Amazon, the Bosch gravity rise stand, was around $159.

The biggest question, is what is your need for the stand/portability aspect? Jobsite work, or just small shop and trying to put it up and out of the way when not in use?
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Bosch for job site use and portability, 21829 for shop use. Setup and blade choice ultimately determine the final performance capability.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dlux

All good thoughts.

I won't be traveling with it much, but I will be using it in a very small garage without much storage. At this point, I want to make sure that I get the better quality saw more than anything.

Comment

• pacwind3
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Vancouver, WA
                      • Bosch 4100

Being that this is a BT forum, the opinions might be just a bit biased.
                      I can say this: I've owned my BT for 8 years, no regrets at all. Love the saw.

I do hate not having the traditional miter slots. There are just far too many accessories based on these slots.
                      I am VERY impressed with the blade guard and riving knife assembly on the Bosch though. Delta now has a guard that looks just like it on their new unisaw.
                      Check out the new Craftsman jobsite saw, the top and fence system is identical to the Bosch. I am sure that it's some hybrid of the bosch.
                      I saw a comment or two against the size of the rails, take a closer look, you'll see they are expandable out to about 25". That's all I get out of my BT without extension rails. It's a really slick system.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

I am sure that I read a report here about the dual miter slot tables, being slightly taller then the 21829's table, due to it bing smooth. (it sits in the lower area of the BT's table, as it has ribs)

You could probably adjust it by building your own.
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Gator95
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Atlanta GA
                          • Ridgid 3660

Originally posted by dlux
                          All good thoughts.

I won't be traveling with it much, but I will be using it in a very small garage without much storage. At this point, I want to make sure that I get the better quality saw more than anything.
                          Is the Ridgid 3660 out of your price range? Figuring in a 10% off coupon or coupon match from HD it could be yours for $500ish. Less if there is a sale that you can stack with the coupon.

Comment

• RAV2
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Massachusetts

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                            I am sure that I read a report here about the dual miter slot tables, being slightly taller then the 21829's table, due to it bing smooth. (it sits in the lower area of the BT's table, as it has ribs)

You could probably adjust it by building your own.
                            I have the dual miter slot installed on my 21829. Can't remember if I did anything special but it lined up without issues.

I was hesitant to purchase a saw without the slots. Understanding that the dual slot could be added to my saw made the sale.

I had a 10" full size Cman saw that took over an hour to disassemble and reassemble when I sold it to differ the cost of this saw. Thought it was a family heirloom, after the hour + to move it - I was happy I updated to the 21829.

No regretts so far.

Comment

• kirkroy
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • Brunswick, MD

I made my own tables with miter slots for my 21829, including a fairly large one L of the blade that has completely replaced the SMT. Alignment is not a big deal and putting it in parallel to the blade is really easy to start out with (had the table in first, than cut the slot for the miter track with my router indexed off the saw fence). I'm planning to replace everything on the R side of the blade with a single large table soon (have a small bit of table with a miter slot in it now).

Comment

Working...