• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bubba04
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008
    • Houston

Setting up my new "shop" I need some advice

I need some advice. The more I think about this the more options I think I have. I think after all my research the 3xxx clone will fit my needs the best.

Here is my current work bench, I built this last February with the help of my Ryobi 10" miter saw and 18 volt circular saw and drill. Its not real fancy, but it seems to be pretty sturdy and level. The pictures attached are a front view and the bracing underneath the table.Its usable work area measures 92 1/2" wide and 41 1/2" deep.

Front View:

Bracing:

I think I have three options in terms of storage. I would like to build a small cabinet around a table saw for storage purposes, lack of foot print and dust collection.

1) Remove the majority of the bottom shelf and build a rolling cabinet that the Craftsman 21829 will mount to the top of. I would roll it out perpendicular to the current table to do the work. The one thing I don't like about this is it will be about 6" shorter then my current table.

2) Make a smaller cabinet but the same height of my current table and put a Craftsman 21829 on it.I would store it to the left of the right of the table. Leaving me the option of getting another router down the road and mounting in my current work table.

3) Make a smaller cabinet but the same height of my current table and put a smaller table saw on. I would store it to the left of the right of the table. I then would mount a router in my current table.

What do yall think is my best option to pursue, or is there something else I should look into. I would like to make a decision soon so hopefully I can start building something over the next weekend.

Sorry for such a long winded post. Thanks for the help folks.

*crap, I just realized this probably should have gone into the shop set up forum, sorry mods!*
    Last edited by bubba04; 12-28-2008, 11:13 PM.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Since the 21829 folds up and out of the way, can you stash it to the side of your workbench when not in use?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

There are several good threads here that might be of some use to you setting up a small shop.

10x12 workshop layout ideas.

Let's see some garage workshop pics.

Dbhosts (mine) workshop.

Shop Progress (Whaler)

My cluttered little shop.

Projects for organizing the shop.

Cleaning up and rearranging my shop. (gathering ideas for compressing stuff into a small space.

Bench Tool Storage Shelf.

Texas members Pelligrini, and Pappy both have very small shops that they do some great work with the space available. Check their shops out if you can...

Also check out Alex Franke's garage workshop, he packs a whole lot of shop in a small space...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JeffG78
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
        • BT3100

What's with the really tall shop stool?

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Bubba,

DB just gave you some great threads to check out for shop setup, including the "garage shop pics" one which will show you how many of us have squeezed lots into our limited spaces.

It would be helpful if you could give us an idea of home much space you have and any limitations e.g do you still need to get cars in there?

I can alread see from your pics that you have lots of empty wall space and potential floor space once you get creative as to where some of the other things live e.g. gardening tools.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• bubba04
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2008
            • Houston

To the left of my ladder is my lawn mower and all the gardening tools and to the right of the really tall stool is the door into my house.

This is the left bay of my garage, the right is where my wifes car goes. The center seems to be used as walk space through the garage. I have thought about moving the work table to the left of the right. After looking at those threads I have a few other ideas.

I am thinkin about putting some shelfs against the wall. Removing the bottom shelf or most of it and putting the table saw for storage down there.

I hope to be going to buy it between now and Wednesday, (pretty excited). So hopefully I will have a good solid 4 days of playing with the new tools.

Comment

• Peter59T
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2006

I miss a bench vise

If you added another sheet of plywood to the top (as reinforcement), put a woodworker's vise (like one of these guys http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4939) on one side and then drilled a row of 3/4 inch bench dog holes you would add an all new dimension to the usefulness of the bench.

I am only saying this because I am in the middle of building a new work bench.

Comment

• bubba04
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2008
                • Houston

Originally posted by Peter59T
                Got any pictures?

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Peter59T
                  If you added another sheet of plywood to the top (as reinforcement), put a woodworker's vise (like one of these guys http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4939) on one side and then drilled a row of 3/4 inch bench dog holes you would add an all new dimension to the usefulness of the bench.

I have two bench vises, a Wilton woodworkers vise, and an old Ace Hardware labelled 6" machinists vise. The machinists vise gets a LOT of use, the woodworking vise not so much... Not sure why... Honestly though, most of the time, the machinists vise is unbolted from the bench top and sitting under my tool box.

Comment

• Peter59T
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Apr 2006

MY bench isn't ready yet ...

I am cutting pieces to size and working on cutting mortises and stuff. I am taking pictures as I go along. If it ends up half as nice as I hope maybe I'll post something. In the meantime here is a link to a good workbench

My bench will along the same lines, but I couldn't justify paying for a pattern maker's vise in the front.

There are many good books on work benches. I can recommend

and

Comment

Working...