• Show
Clear All
  • 3thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Northern Colorado
    • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

dust!

I have a Jet 1100 DC, and it does a good job, but it is the older model, and still leaves some fine dust in the shop. Yes, I know that I could upgrade the filter with a canister, but I would rather use the funds for something else. I am considering a half face dust mask with replaceable filters. Anyone have any advice on these? I haven't ever found a paper mask that didn't fog my glasses.

edit: whoops, spelling
    Last edited by 3thumbs; 11-20-2008, 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

I use something like this (from the Lowe's website) but similar masks can be obtained from Home Depot and several woodworking outlets. The provide a much better protection than the slip-on paper masks and the cartridges can be changed to accommodate various chemicals, including paints and solvents.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...000&lpage=none

I also use a ShopVac collection system with 'drywall' rated filter bags, but with a moderate sensitivity to some wood dust, the face mask is good insurance and makes all kind of sense.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

I have one of these and it works pretty well. I use it mainly when sanding or cutting MDF as my DC does a pretty good job.

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-9519...7240748&sr=8-1

edited - oops hit the submit button before I pasted the link
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by steve-norrell
        I use something like this (from the Lowe's website) but similar masks can be obtained from Home Depot and several woodworking outlets. The provide a much better protection than the slip-on paper masks and the cartridges can be changed to accommodate various chemicals, including paints and solvents.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...000&lpage=none

I also use a ShopVac collection system with 'drywall' rated filter bags, but with a moderate sensitivity to some wood dust, the face mask is good insurance and makes all kind of sense.

Regards, Steve
        The one I use is an older 3M made model that looks an awful lot like that one. The replacement canisters are available for everything from fine dust, to chemical vapor. I have canisters for paint spray in it now...

Don't neglect the DC though, Remember it's all part of a protection system!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

I like this AO Safety respirator [edit: same one suggested by Poolhound, but on sale right now at Sears]- it vents to the sides, away from glasses - I have never had mine fog up with this. Replacement filters are fairly inexpensive.

Respirator:
          http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...me=Tool+Safety

Filters:
          http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...me=Tool+Safety
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

I use a 3m one with the dual canisters, my only recommendation is to use something like these, they are great. Completely eliminate the smell from finished while wearing them, etc... I use it when sanding mostly, but also cutting when working with woods I have allergies to.

I have the canister version of that Jet, and this mask is still well worth the $$$.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Drumpriest, I think you have the same one I do... Have you found replacement cartridges for less than $15.00 anywhere? I am going to need some new ones here shortly. Have a painting project coming up with a sprayer...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Does your jet have a 30 Micron bag?

I've seen a 5 Micron bag available for the 1100A & 1200. It's not exactly cheap, but cheaper then their canister upgrade.
                Erik

Comment

• 3thumbs
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • Northern Colorado
                  • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Originally posted by pelligrini
                  Does your jet have a 30 Micron bag?

I've seen a 5 Micron bag available for the 1100A & 1200. It's not exactly cheap, but cheaper then their canister upgrade.
                  Yes, it's the 30 micron bag. I intend to upgrade to the 5 micron later, maybe after Christmas. Retirement money is quite restrictive!

Comment

• Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                    • One of them there Toy saws

I bought a Dust-be-gone mask from Woodcraft (but they are available all over the place) and haven't had any more issues with dust or sneezing black stuff anymore either.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...