Clear All
  • kbkreisler
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2008
    • farmington mn
    • ryobi bt3100-1

New saw, new member

Hello all,
    After months of careful deliberation, comparisons, reading your forums here and reviews from others elsewhere I am pleased to have picked up a lightly used bt3100 via a strategically dropped birthday hint *FW"d classified ad*.
    I was just wondering if any of you experienced woodworkers here have any table saw newbie advice, bt3x00 specific advice or some plans for some must build jigs, or some entry level skill honing project ideas.
    I have a couple honey-do's running already that initially got me convinced I needed to refine my skills beyond the capabilities of my miter saw and circular saw combination, but I would like to ease in with a couple entry level projects like garage/laundry cabinets, or an aging weinerdog's staircase/ramp before trying my hand at a cabin kitchen cabinet set, or building a foyer storage bench.
    there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that dont.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I am on that learning curve tool Do a Google search for The Wood Whisperer, his videos are GREAT newbie advice...

Also on this site, look for the article called Links to Suwats articles or something like that. A former member here has some great stuff on jigs and upgrades for the BT3x00 saws...

Have fun and be safe!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Welcome. I think this is the thread that dbhost is talking about. There is also a wealth of knowledge at this website.

Comment

• shoottx
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • Plano, Texas
        • BT3000

First welcome. I think you will find this place a great place to learn.

Here is the link to the mother lode of jigs, adaptation, fences and ideas for the saws.

They treasure trove is to send a PM to LChien for his FAQ

The third part of the treasure hunt is to use the search feature on this site when looking for Ideas.

I think I have downloaded all most all of the stuff.
        Last edited by shoottx; 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
        Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Dutchman46
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2006
          • Holland Michigan
          • BT3000

There is a lot of very good areas here at BT3 central to look at the members post. Check out the archives as it is loaded with useful information Also look at the gallery, and search for specific information. There is a lot of folks like myself, that believe that for the money, there is no better saw to be found. ENJOY AND WELCOME

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by shoottx
            First welcome. I think you will find this place a great place to learn.

Here is the link to the mother lode of jigs, adaptation, fences and ideas for the saws.

They treasure trove is to send a PM to LChien for his FAQ

The third part of the treasure hunt is to use the search feature on this site when looking for Ideas.

I think I have downloaded all most all of the stuff.
            Hey, thanks for posting that! I never knew that existed, some GREAT tips, particularly regarding the SMT, which has been my biggest hangup with the BT, and BTS saws...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Welcome aboard! Not knowing how much you know about TS safety, I'd highly recommend following the link in my signature. It's a "must read".

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Welcome! Ditto all the above advice, particularly the part about PMing Loring (LCHIEN) for his BT FAQ. You will never find more info about this saw than you will here, and even if you someday "graduate" to a bigger saw, your BT will always have a soft place in your heart.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Welcome KB. Join in the fun here and post some of your work, or just some "around the coffee pot" talking. Got questions, ask - we have lots of people who like to help.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome KBK, you have found a great place to learn. You will not find a better community of nice folks anywhere. Hardly ever an unkind word spoken, here! Ask your questions and search the facts (not in that order ) and enjoy your time with us!
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

Welcome, and always feel free to ask anything...This link is to the forums page (also on the header bar), for whatever reason, people never navigate there, it has the links for the articles reviews and tutorial sections of this site. It's sad that few people ever find their way to it, some great info there...

Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

• eezlock
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Charlotte,N.C.
                        • BT3100

new saw, new member

First off, welcome to the forum...lots of good people with sound advice and help around here. Remember....the only dumb or stupid questions are the one's that haven't been asked!.

Now to the saw, hope you got the owner's manual along with the saw...it will be a big help with the next things that always come along. If you did get the
                        manual, READ IT! It will help with 95% of the questions that you will have
                        concerning the saw. If you take the time to properly set up, adjust, and fine tune all the steps outlined in the manual you will have and be able to use one of the best made table saws on the market. If you have any questions
                        there are some very knowledgable folks that will help in any way they can!

Remember to be safe, and follow good common sense with the saw and it will give you years of enjoyment for a small investment. eezlock

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Lot's of good advice and info already so I will just say...

Welcome to the Asylum, KB!
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• jhart
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

Welcome KB, glad to have you join the group.
                            Joe
                            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• John Hunter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                              • BT3000 & BT3100

Welcome aboard!
                              John Hunter

Comment

Working...