• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

It Can Happen to You

I was about 1/4 of the way through ripping a piece of 1" thick ash not long ago when the amount of effort required to move the workpiece suddenly increased to the point where the board would not move. Period.

The kerf had closed up around the splitter (Jet cabinet saw). Had the splitter not been installed, this board would absolutely have kicked back and I would have been pretty badly injured because the piece of ash in question was sizable (pun intended).

If you're inclined to work without safety devices, please don't. The safety devices saved my gut.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Yep, that splitter kept you from getting hurt from getting hit with a big piece of ash!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

That's what you get for being greedy and trying to turn one piece of ash into two...

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

You should always work with a piece of ash from the side. Just watch for the elbow jabs.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

A similar thing happened the other day, but the wood was walnut. The board was a 2x, about six feet long and the warping was clearly apparent where it pinched together after passing beyond the riving knife.

It created enough drag that the circuit breaker was tripped but there was no kick-back. Shark Guard and riving knife did their jobs. Thanks Lee!

I used a wedge to keep the ends apart enough to finish the cut.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I had a similar incident a month or two ago. When I turned off the saw and removed the piece I was cutting (and it didn't want to come w/o a fight), I saw that the kerf closed up like a vice grip. The riving knife saved my but.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

I've had it happen myself.
              This is another instance where the on/off switch should be on the left side of the saw. you have to continue to hold down the part as you contort your body to shut down the saw.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Not fair to Ash bash. And, talking nice to it doesn't mean the two cut legs won't squeeze shut. Or, you could have had it Ash backwards.

I've had it get tighter than heck and bind on the splitter.

Comment

• smorris
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Thanks for that...I have 100 bd ft of Ash in the shop waiting for me to start my next project. I always like to have the splitter in place. I've gotten spoiled with the padauk I've been working with, it is extremely stable, or I've just been lucky.
                  --
                  Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Whenever I am ripping stock I keep some shims handy to act as wedges - mostly habit from growing up with my dad's old Craftsman that did not have a splitter. Even with the splitter you still get the ocaisonal piece that does this.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Holland, Michigan
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                      This is another instance where the on/off switch should be on the left side of the saw. you have to continue to hold down the part as you contort your body to shut down the saw.
                      That is why I like it on the right side - that is the side I stand to.

But either way, I hate it when my ash gets in a bind!
                      Doug Kerfoot
                      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• rnelson0
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2008
                        • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                        • Firestorm FS2500TS

The kerf had closed up around the splitter (Jet cabinet saw). Had the splitter not been installed, this board would absolutely have kicked back and I would have been pretty badly injured because the piece of ash in question was sizable (pun intended).
                        I had a similar issue this weekend with some ply. I haven't used the saw in a while and after cutting a mere 4 or 5 inches, it started having problems cutting and moving. I thought either the blade was shot or the surface was causing it to stick as I pushed.

It turns out that the kerf on my blade is thinner than my splitter, so it was causing the board to get wedged into the fence. It wouldn't cause kickback (the blade spun fine) but it prevented me from cutting.

I never thought I'd be looking for a blade with a *thicker* kerf!

Comment

Working...