• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Which TS to buy?

I know this may be a silly question to ask here, BUT here goes...

I have three options I am seriously considering...

#1. Cruising CL for a top condition BT3100 w/ accessories for a bargain price, but they are few and far between in Houston. Seems like guys in the Hill Country grabbed them all...
    #2. Using my Craftsman Club card, and waiting for a good sale / coupon to hit so I don't have to pay more than $400.00 for a CM21829 (I admit, I am cheap sometimes). What are the disadvantages of the 21829 over the BT3100?
    #3. Buying a cast iron table saw with a miter slot. I am giving serious consideration to the Ridgid TS3660. Every once in a while HD sends out coupons for 20% off any 1 purchase. That would be $108.00 off of $540.00, or $432.00+ tax. It has the mobile base, so I am not shy of that. What would be the drawbacks / advantages to going with this style saw over say the 21829 / BT3100?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

I found my BT3100 on this forum, but I was seriously considering the 21829. I like the dual miter slot accessory table, that it already comes with the accessory kit, and that the rails are 48" long instead of 42" like on the BT3100. I would not choose to use the mobile base, but for others it has value. I have not seen on this forum any users complaining about the 21829 in terms of quality or difference in features.

Personal opinion qualifier: I'm still a newbie and only have experience with the BT3100. Others with more experience may be a better guide.
    - Chris.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

How about posting a wanted ad on Craigslist? Perhaps you can shake a few free from the tree.

Comment

• OpaDC
        Established Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Pensacola, FL
        • Ridgid TS3650

I have the TS3650, essentially the same as the TS3660. I can't compare it with anything except a FireStorm which about like comparing a bicycle to cars. That being said, I like the TS a lot. Once I got it set and and adjusted I have been very happy with it. And a major factor in the purchase for me was the attached mobile base. I HAVE to be able to move it.
        And around here you will grow old trying to find almost anything decent on CL. Pawn shops only had expensive garbage and local classifieds were no better than CL so new was the only real option.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• Sawatzky
          Established Member
          • Apr 2005
          • CA
          • Ridgid TS3650

I had a BT3100 and sold it to buy the Ridgid TS3650. I am very happy with the Ridgid. It is much more solidly built, has a powerful and quiet induction motor, very good mobile base, a very good fence, and has a cast iron top. To me, the Ridgid just seems much more rugged and the table top is much larger. I am very happy with it and would recommend it. My projects have gotten a lot larger, and if you are cutting large pieces of wood, you will like having a large cast iron top. With the 20% off coupons it is right near the price of the new Craftsman BT clone. For the price I would go with the Ridgid.

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I can't think of any disadvantages of the 21289 over the BT3100....they're essentially the same saw with some different accessories, both made by Ryobi. The BT3100 is no longer available new in stores.

The 3660 puts you in a different class of saw. More mass/stability, more surface space (especially in front of the blade), quieter, likely better long term reliability, possibly a bit more power. The location of the motor hanging out the back poses some disadvantages with space, can be a nuisance obstacle, and can inadvertantly lift things in it's path when beveled which can knock the alignment out of whack...you just have to be alert to that. The Ridgid also comes with a 3 yr warranty and a lifetime service agreement if you sign up for it. If you can get the TS3660 for much under $500 it'd be a pretty nice deal.

You might even be able to find a nice used contractor saw or hybrid if you keep your eyes peeled. Good luck and keep us posted.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• pecker
              Established Member
              • Jun 2003

I have a BT3000 and a TS3650. The miter gauge that comes with the Ridgid is far inferior to the SMT system on the Ryobi. I purchased an Incra 1000se miter gauge, which was on sale for $99 at the same time I bought my TS3650 on sale. I knew going in that there would be some added expense, and you may want to factor that into your comparison.

I still like the SMT even better than the Incra for most crosscutting.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Holland, Michigan
                • Craftsman 21829

I love my 21829. The mobile base is amazing. The longer rails are really helpful, especially the way you can slide them either way. The 21829 also has the 2nd, deeper smt fence position built in, a mod that many people add to their BT3's. I've also written before that it is easy to build a very useful sacrificial router fence using the brackets for the two-piece fence that comes with the 21829. I don't use the router table a whole lot, but it is capable of deeper routs than ANY other purpose built table.

Other than that, the basic wonderfulness of the BT3's still applies.
                Doug Kerfoot
                "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                KeyLlama.com

Comment

• JSUPreston
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Montgomery, AL.
                  • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I personally purchased the Delta 36-979 (integrated mobile base) from Lowe's last Dec. They had it on sale for $404 + tax. However, with that kit, you do not get a fence. I was fortunate enough to have snagged the Biesemeyer fence that Lowe's had on clearance. So, my saw total wound up costing about the same as the Ridgid you are looking at. I don't have experience with the Ridgid TS, but I have a CMS and a dual base router. Both are great tools, so I would have to assume the TS would be a great purchase as well.

My question to you is this: how important is the mobility of the saw? If you are not going to move it around much and will be cutting a lot of sheet goods, a cast iron saw may be the right choice. If you need to move the saw out of the way (garage is your shop), the BT3x00 and derivitaves may be a better choice. Another option may be a Bosch 4100. Tom Hintz, a member of this forum, has done a review: http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/b4100rvu.html

Just my two cents worth. I personally owned a BT3100 for a while before getting the Delta. I personally like the cast iron feel better, but I do have a larger shop. However, if I ever need to put it in my truck, I'll need to buy a keg for a few friends first.
                  "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Gator95
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Atlanta GA
                    • Ridgid 3660

I've got a Ridgid 3660 and think it is a great saw. It is without a doubt the best value in the 400-450 range if you can get in that price range.

My next choice was a Craftsman 22114- $729 but goes on sale in the 550-600 range often. Jet makes a good hybrid in that range on sale too.

I'm sure the BT3100/CM 21829 cuts wood good too- just a matter of what kind of saw you feel most comforable with. Many satisfied users of these saws on the forum. Check them out in the store and see what you think compared to the Ridgid.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Well, wish me luck. I wasn't really looking when I stumbled across a BT3100 still in the box for $175.00, I am trying to get with the owner to pick it up, but schedules are conflicting. I am not sure, but there was some mention of accessories. I am hopeful it has the accessory kit as well... If not, I will have to use one of those 20% coupons to grab an accessory kit.
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• docrowan
                        • Mar 2007
                        • New Albany, MS
                        • BT3100

Hope you're able to get one DB. Good luck.
                        - Chris.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm just sick. I am stuck at work with a major issue, the guy that has the BT has 2 other guys wanting it... I seriously doubt I can get to it in time... I have nothing polite to say about this...

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by dbhost
                            I'm just sick. I am stuck at work with a major issue, the guy that has the BT has 2 other guys wanting it... I seriously doubt I can get to it in time... I have nothing polite to say about this...
                            Chin up DB....you know the old saying, "if it's meant to be, it'll be". You'll get the right saw eventually. Good luck!
                            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

That's right. Anyway, the BTS-21 does a good job, my big fuss with it is I have to re-engineer pretty much every jig ever thought of to make it work... Ryobi REALLY should have made the 21 modular like the 3x... Specifically with an add on / swap in miter slot table instead of the SMT. The SMT is REALLY nice for doing crosscuts. But things like Tenoning jigs etc... are kind of a nuisance with it...
                              Last edited by dbhost; 06-18-2008, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...