X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Navycraig
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006

Router for 3100

I purchased a BT3100 and want to get a router that will work with the included router table. Do only Ryobi routers set up correctly or will others work? I found the Model ZRRE180PL at HD, but they seem to be out of stock in most places.
    1. Is that the (or one of the right ones) that will work?
    2. If so, is that a good router?
    3. Is there a better choice?

Thanks,
    Craig
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Craig,

The optional router mounting kit includes a sub-base that attaches underneath the accessory table of teh BT3100. The sub-base, made of aluminum, is pre-drilled for a router, although IMO it's hard to say which one(s).

I have a Ryobi 180 router and it never mounted properly into the predrilled holes. The solution is to drill holes that do match your router's hole patern.

So the answer to your question is that any router will do. I know that puts you back to square one, but should free you up to get the router you think you want, rather than the you think will fit.

JR
    JR

Comment

• bfrikken
      • Apr 2005
      • Michigan, USA.
      • BT-3100

I made a separate base for my black and decker router. worked just fine.

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

You can make a plate like the one that comes with the accessory kit and mount any router you buy to the accessory table. Turn over the accessory table over and take the dimensions from the rectangular recess with the corners cut off. A piece of 1/2" scrap should be enough to make a plate. Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Popeye
          You can make a plate like the one that comes with the accessory kit and mount any router you buy to the accessory table. Turn over the accessory table over and take the dimensions from the rectangular recess with the corners cut off. A piece of 1/2" scrap should be enough to make a plate. Pat
          This is what I did. I have the bosch router and it was very easy to do. One minor downside to this is you lose some height i.e the thickness of whatver you make the plate from.

If I only had the room to keep extension rails and table permanently mounted I might re-think adding another base into the extension.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

router for the BT3100

Any router you choose can be adapted to use on the router plate for the BT3100. The key to using any router is, remove the sub base from the router,
            use it as a guide to position where new screw holes should be drilled in the adapter plate, drill them and mount the router base to the plate.

Another idea is this, buy a piece of alunimum plate stock, (a blank) and cut it
            to proper size and then drill the holes where needed and mount router to that. A lot of extra work, but another way of using a router on the Bt3100.

I thought about this one time....buy a Dewalt 616 or 618 router with 3 bases
            in the kit, mount the fixed base to the Bt 3100 and use the other bases for hand held work and you won't need to remove the fixed base everytime
            you need to use the router. eezlock

Comment

• 182much
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2008
              • Norco, CA

Router plate

Some time ago I wanted to mount my PC 691 router but was to cheap to buy the plate.
              It just so happened that I had some alum. plate laying around.
              I drilled all the holes and tapped the ones needed. Everything worked great.
              Then 1 day I mounted a guide bushing and it wasn't centered on the bit.
              Just 1 thing to look out for

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I have mounted both a DW621 and a PC690 in mine. I just made custom plates for them.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Navycraig
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Aug 2006

Thanks for all the input. It may not last as long as some of the better models, but I took the plunge (pun intended) yesterday and ran up to sears and picked up a craftsman fixed/plunge base one with variable speed and soft start. Took it home and it bolted right up to my TS with the existing plate...no alterations needed. I was one happy camper. With a 20% coupon that I had I paid about $80 bones.
                  Now I need to find some good bits. Suggestions welcomed.
                  Craig

Comment

• Schleeper
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Navycraig
                    Thanks for all the input. It may not last as long as some of the better models, but I took the plunge (pun intended) yesterday and ran up to sears and picked up a craftsman fixed/plunge base one with variable speed and soft start. Took it home and it bolted right up to my TS with the existing plate...no alterations needed. I was one happy camper. With a 20% coupon that I had I paid about $80 bones.
                    Now I need to find some good bits. Suggestions welcomed.
                    Craig
                    Ya gotta love that, Craig. I'm waiting the arrival of the reconditioned Hitachi I ordered, and I'm hoping to have the same kind of luck. I find drilling countersunk holes in mounting plates to be a PITA, and with the relatively small opening in the accessory table, you really can't afford to be off-center. The Skil that I'm now using was able to use the Ryobi plate's existing holes, but I needed to add a more powerful router that would accept 1/2" bits. The dual base versatility won't hurt, either.
                    "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

...Now I need to find some good bits. Suggestions welcomed.
                      Craig
                      If you want a good selection of bits for not a lot of money then get the 15- or 30- 66-piece sets (they go for around $40, $99 and $180) from http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...rbit_sets.html many people go this route who want a varied selection at hand for around $3 per bit or less. I personally like their free shipping and customer service, the bits are good, too. Figure if you only use half of them its still cheaper than buying individual bits one at a time and saves you the waiting.

If you want premium cadillac bits that are super sharp and smooth and will last a while get Whitesides in profiles you want. This may cost you $10 to 20 per bit.

A lot of people are happy with sets from Holbren www.holbren.com who is active here and gives a discount to BT3central members.

If your router takes 1/2" bits, by all means use those in preference to 1/4" shank bits, much stronger, safer and they make better cuts, too.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-01-2008, 07:30 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• garymuto
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Encinitas, CA
                        • Delta Cabinet Saw

I purchased a BT3100 and want to get a router that will work with the included router table. Do only Ryobi routers set up correctly or will others work? I found the Model ZRRE180PL at HD, but they seem to be out of stock in most places.
                        1. Is that the (or one of the right ones) that will work?
                        2. If so, is that a good router?
                        3. Is there a better choice?

Thanks,
                        Craig
                        I bought a Sears Plunge router about 10 years ago and it bolted right in. I figured it was made by Ryobi. I don't think the router is available anymore.

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

I have the infamous three-base Ryobi router kit. All three of the bases bolted right in the plate. The problem is, it's nigh impossible to get the router out of the fixed bases.

My original plan was to leave a fixed base mounted to the plate, but due to the sticky base issue, I use only the plunge base and unmount it when I need to use it hand-held. Sounds like the bearings are going anyway, so I'll be looking for another multi-base kit soon, NOT a Ryobi.

g.
                          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                          Bill & Ted

Comment

• Navycraig
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Aug 2006

Just placed my order with MLCS. Purchased the 66 bit kit and the dovetail jig. We'll see where that leads me and what may be next. Might need to build a new bed for myself after the bill arrives.

Comment

Working...