Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Macchi

Thanks for all the posts and suggestions. I wasn't expecting so many replies in so short of time!

That's quite the amazing apartment Pappy

Thrytis - I do have a balcony but no outside storage and virtually nil inside storage remaining. As is I already have those plastic chest things stacked in the corners of my bedroom and misc suitcases/backpacks/bags stowed beside the couches. It's a pretty small 1BR apartment I am looking to upgrade to a 2-3BR relatively soon though...

Cabinetman - I would definitely like to try my hand at band saw boxes, are they difficult to make?

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

An intriguing idea. Woodworking with an apartment...

If it were me, and depending on the size of the apartment, but if it were like my last one...

Decent jobsite saw. (Craftsman 21829 leaps to mind). You can do pretty nearly all the cuts you want with it...
      Ryobi 10", OR Craftsman 12" (the Craftsman has a much larger resaw capacity) band saw for the stuff the table saw won't do. Honestly, for my curves I have been relying on a jigsaw and lots of sanding...
      Router and bits. Ryobi has a 2hp plunge router that looks pretty good. My old R161 1.5HP fixed base has been a workhorse for years... The Ryobi stuff should bolt right up to that 21829.
      Sanders with the capacity to hook up to a shop vac system (Most of the Ryobi stuff will, forget Skil sanders for that function. I have a Skil orbital and it works well, but it won't connect to dust collection of any sort).
      Shop vac with the 2.5" hose and adapters.
      Good 3/8 VSR Driver / Drill. (Again the Ryobi is a good choice...)

The rest you can pretty much do with hand tools, jigs, etc.. that don't take up too much space.

Seriously, when I was in college, I knew guys that would do amazing furniture build ups using not much more than a circular saw with some kind of home brewed guide system, a drill, a jigsaw, a sander, and a mess of hand tools...

I never got the knack for that. A pity for me though...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• thrytis
        • May 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

Since you have no storage space right now, i would suggest going with a circular saw with a decent blade and guide system and a router for initial tools for furniture/shelves type projects. For smaller projects like your clock, you probably would need to build a jig for cutting the small parts with the circular saw, but you could probably still do it.

I would recommend a Workmate (either the 425 or 225 kind) or an XBench. Both can fold down to store out of the way, or use it as a coffee table when not used for woodworking like i used to do. The XBench has a router insert available so you can turn it into a router table, or you can make the workmate into a router table pretty easily with a piece of MDF. A router table will provide a lot more functionality.

You might consider building a small bench with a lockable cabinet underneath for your balcony. That will give you someplace to store your tools and maybe even enough space for some small benchtop tools like a bandsaw.
        Eric

Comment

• ksum
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2007

There may be shop time available in the DC area. I know Woodcraft use to have it in the Baltimore area, but do not know if it is continued in DC. When I was in a townhouse, I contemplated renting warehouse space and getting a group together to share the space and possibly tools like a table saw. We moved instead, so it never made it past the idea stage.

Karl

Comment

• Macchi

Ksum - I have been to the Woodcraft store in Towson/Baltimore. I'm not entirely sure how shop time works but I do know they offer classes. I did sign up for a pen turning class awhile back but the instructor had some kind of emergency situation or something and had to cancel the class. Getting a group together to rent a warehouse or something of that sort sounds like a pretty interesting idea. I don't really know anyone else interested in woodworking but it can't be too hard to find a few. Perhaps start with local clubs and go from there....

Thrytis and Dbhost - Thanks for the equipment suggestions. Definiately helps a lot!

Comment

• RobC
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2003
              • Arlington, VA, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by ksum
              There may be shop time available in the DC area. I know Woodcraft use to have it in the Baltimore area, but do not know if it is continued in DC. When I was in a townhouse, I contemplated renting warehouse space and getting a group together to share the space and possibly tools like a table saw. We moved instead, so it never made it past the idea stage.

Karl
              The Woodcraft in Springfield, VA used to have shop space, but it's been a while since I've been down there. I don't know what a shop membership costs these days, but it was around $300-400 dollars if I recall. I had plans to sign up, but then I got a BT3100 instead. Now I fight with my small basement shop space (10x8), but I can go there whenever I want...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Since we are bumping this up...........

Any KNOWN restrictions?
                Several have been mentioned, but here are some more.....

1. Go Neander, this will help teach you skills, that will still help you even when you get your own powered shop. Things like Handplane tuning and usage, handsaw use and sharpening. This is one you could also do at odd hours (except hammering), without much disturbance to the neighbors

2. Benchtop/smaller power tools have been mentioned, but you might also look at guided circular saw systems. There are multiple brands, and they have some similar, and some different capabilities, and well as dust collection.

I am sure there are yet more, but I want to make a point. With any powertools, you run both into noise/dust issues (carpet, neighbors, etc), and you may attract the attention of the landlord (WTHeck is he doing........ remodeling his apartment without permission?)
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ksum
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2007

Macchi,

The Baltimore/Timmonium Woodcraft had shop time available, but stopped that a couple (5 +/-) years ago. Now they just use the area for classes. I saw from your profile that you are in the DC area. You may want to check the stores around there. When Baltimore stopped, one of the stores in DC (Rockville?) was still running the program. It worked out to be about $10 an hour. My plan was to use it for the power tools, and do the sanding and finishing at home.

Karl

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by ksum

Karl

You should also check with the local community colleges. Many of these have woodworking classes where you can both learn and work on projects. That way you can plan to use the big tools they have when you go to class and work on the smaller stuff at home.

You may also meet other local WWrs who might be happy to share some of their own shop time with you.
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

Working...