• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark-yo
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2005
    • La Mirada, CA.

African mahogany - strong smell when cut

Hi. I've been using African mahogany for a woodworking class project. I noticed that when it's being cut, it gives off a pretty strong non-woody odor. Has anyone encountered this? Should I be concerned that I'm breathing in something more dangerous than sawdust? Thanks!
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Lots of woods are "aromatic". African Mahogany (Afzelia) is one such wood. The odors are not poisonous, but the dust from sanding is something you should always protect your lungs from. Even the most benign wood can really mess you up if you breathe the dust. You won't get fine dust from sawing, but you sure will from sanding.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
      Lots of woods are "aromatic". African Mahogany (Afzelia) is one such wood. The odors are not poisonous, but the dust from sanding is something you should always protect your lungs from. Even the most benign wood can really mess you up if you breathe the dust. You won't get fine dust from sawing, but you sure will from sanding.

Or, could be from the genus Khaya.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman

Drums made of Khaya have an identical sound as compared to drums made of maple,[citation needed] but 20% more bass.[citation needed]
        Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaya"

So, isn't that an oxymoron?
        Do they sound identical or do they have more bass, in which case they don't sound identical?
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Yes, it could, but you don't see as much of that in this country. Used mostly for musical instruments, I think. I have worked with afzelia, and I do know that it has a particular odor about it.
          Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 03-31-2008, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Drums made of Khaya have an identical sound as compared to drums made of maple

So, isn't that an oxymoron?
            Do they sound identical or do they have more bass, in which case they don't sound identical?

That's an interesting hypothesis. I thought about it and figured I should call someone who might know for sure. My first choice was Gene Krupa, but I remember he died in 1973, and would be of little value asking. My second choice was Buddy Rich, but ran into the same problem as he died in 1987.

So, my better judgment tells me that the word identical may not be the best choice. Maybe a word a little more specific than similar. I just don't know. But, I'll think about it a little more.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

That's an interesting hypothesis. I thought about it and figured I should call someone who might know for sure. My first choice was Gene Krupa, but I remember he died in 1973, and would be of little value asking. My second choice was Buddy Rich, but ran into the same problem as he died in 1987.

So, my better judgment tells me that the word identical may not be the best choice. Maybe a word a little more specific than similar. I just don't know. But, I'll think about it a little more.
              I'm basing my issue based on hi fi music reproduction standards... better reproduction (perfect = identical in sound) involves lack of coloration where things sound brighter or more bassy which involves different response in parts of the audio spectrum. 20% more bass is a significant bass coloration. well, I take that back, its about 1 dB which is generally perceptible but not overwhelming (to most people's ear).
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by mark-yo
                Hi. I've been using African mahogany for a woodworking class project. I noticed that when it's being cut, it gives off a pretty strong non-woody odor. Has anyone encountered this? Should I be concerned that I'm breathing in something more dangerous than sawdust? Thanks!
                To me, cut African mahogany smells like bacon. I used it for a whole
                semester on a large project and didn't develop any issues during that time.
                Your results may vary. I had a ShopVac connected to my saw and wore a
                dust mask when sanding, but I do that with all sanding. I also have a ceiling
                air purifier.

Paul

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

I don't know about AF, but Padauk also has an odd odor and the sawdust makes me wheeze and cough. Still, I love the wood. Just take precautions in case someone may be allergic. Filter, filter, filter, ................
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

My Baby used to breathe my dust,
                    Until her lungs began to rust.
                    She's gone now, because it kilt 'er.