X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

suggestions - dvd holder

I have a decent size collection of dvds which are stored in a cabinet. I have stack them in 2 rows to fit them all in. So if I want to get at a dvd in the back I have to pull out some from the front row first. Not to mention the fact that I can't read any of the titles in the second row. I want to be able to build some kind of pull out device so I can access all the dvds. any suggestions?

my crappy drawing..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jussi; 03-06-2008, 01:35 AM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Not sure how high your DVD shelf is but I assume (often a bad thing to do) its under eye level. You could build a simple frame/tray which could either look like a simple draw construction and have the DVDs fee to move about or use DVD holder inserts to fix them.

Something like this might work
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=27&filter=dvd

Then use any draw mounting mechanism. Your choice for practicality or asthetics. A full access draw slide would work nicley as this would asure you can gain access to the DVDs in the back.

Jon
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

easiest thing comes to mind is to make a number of small rack, U-shaped, two sides and bottom, to hold maybe 10 DVDs wide, you use it for the DVDs in the front row, you can pick it up and see the ones in back and then replace it, move over and do it again. Simple to make from 1/4" Plywood. Easy enough to pick up for you or your wife (can be more or less than 10 DVS wide, to make an even number across shelf, or heavier or lighter to taste).
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

How about using a lazy susan bearing, and make a rack that spins, like a spice rack. You could lay one out easily for DVD's.

Comment

• uglystick
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Garland, TX, USA
          • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

You could mount shelves on the inside of the doors to hold one row of DVDs, while the second row is in the main cabinet, like shown here:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	spinkeeper_1988_135161581 (WinCE).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	781931
          -Kendall

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

just throw out the cases, keep the DVDs in a CD/DVD folder with plastic sleeves, can hold 150 DVDs in the size of a notebook.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have had the same question unasked for some time.

I like kendall's suggestion;

but the lazy susan idea is intriguing too - the page on LV seems to suggest a 3" size would be good for an 18" wide turntable. maybe they're talking of a very low height, like one CD? Wonder if a 36" high turntable could be built on these.

I am wondering if I could build a tower CD rack on a lazy susan, and which size would be appropriate?

Maybe I could enclose two of these towers inside a cabinet.
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I built an end table with two slide out shelves or trays that I bought commercially. I think Rocklers has them but I found a cheaper model somewhere else. The trays are black and come in sizes where you can have one, two or three rows wide. They are made such that they can hold DVDs, CDs, or VCR tapes and the recordings stack against each other with a support to keep them from falling over (that moves as the row fills up). Drawer slides are built into the tray. It seems like they were around $20 apiece (I bought the largest 3 wide size). They work pretty well. It is nice to be able to slide the shelf out to see the recordings and the design also lets you flip through them so you can see the front. Unfortunately the drawer slides are only 3/4 extension but that is not terrible, just means it is harder to see what is at the back of a row.

Jim

Comment

• iceman61
                  • Oct 2007
                  • West TN
                  • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  just throw out the cases, keep the DVDs in a CD/DVD folder with plastic sleeves, can hold 150 DVDs in the size of a notebook.
                  This is what I did. That way I can carry them with me to the lake when I go.

Comment

• ryanps
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2006
                    • Maumee, Ohio
                    • ShopFox W1677

I know you want to build something yourself, but perhaps you would consider one of the following:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail

(hope the link works - okay, I just previewed the link -- you need to type "DVD organizer" in the search box after you click the link above. Either the 1st or 3rd item that appears are the ones I am recommending.)

Ryan

Comment

• TheRic
                      • Jun 2004
                      • West Central Ohio
                      • bt3100

I thought about building a DVD storage cabinet, was thinking of making it like those pantry cabinets with the middle storage shelf that moves (sorry couldn't find a link). I thought I saw them at BORG, it had a shelf in the doors, one in the back, and a middle shelf that moved so you could see both sides of the middle self, and let you see the back real easy. Saw the mechanism somewhere, can't find that link either.

Side note: Me and the Internet are NOT on the same wavelength tonight.
                      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...