X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack1064
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008

No Router Fence!

The BT3 which I just bought did not come with a router fence, or the attachments to put on the rip fence, What do you guys suggest I do? Order the parts or build my own fence for the router table, and if build my own, do you guys have any plans?
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

the "router fence" that comes in the accessory kit is worthless so you need you build your own.
    I usually just clamp a piece of material to the fence or table with a setup similar to the way they do it on "the router workshop" tv show.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

I agree with Tom's suggestion. Clamp a piece of MDF to the rip fence and treat it like a "sacrificial fence."

If dust collection is an issue, then something with a dust port would be more appropriate. I have had excellent results with the Bench Dog Profence (http://www.benchdog.com/profence.htm) and there are plenty of plans for home-made fence on this website.

You are not missing much without the Ryobi router fence.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

I used 1" baltic birch attached to the fence w/ the accessory kit t-nuts. I made it so it is no higher than the fence, and I leave it on the fence at all times. I use a down-draft box for dust collection and have found that I really have no need for fence-based DC w/ the down-draft box.

Comment

• Jack1064
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cgallery
          I used 1" baltic birch attached to the fence w/ the accessory kit t-nuts. I made it so it is no higher than the fence, and I leave it on the fence at all times. I use a down-draft box for dust collection and have found that I really have no need for fence-based DC w/ the down-draft box.
          Do you have a picture of this?
          Thanks,

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

I don't use the rip fence for my router fence.

I clamp a separate fence to the router accessory table with 6" bar clamps. The fence is on the right side of the router. This gives a large work surface on the left side of the router. I can fine tune fence placement with this setup easier than using the rip fence. Just requires a little tap with a hammer to fine tune the fence placement. Then tighten the clamps.

I hot glued some blocks under the table so the clamps don't bend the table and to allow the clamp jaw to clear the side of the acc table.

- Lonnie
            OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by Jack1064
              Do you have a picture of this?
              Thanks,
              Post #20 in this thread:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=17598

Comment

• luteman
                Established Member
                • Dec 2007
                • Northern Michigan
                • BT3100-1

I use a Freud router fence. Excellent adjustability of both fences as well as built in dust collection and finger guard. I had to drill and tap two holes in my BT table top in order to mount the Freud fence.

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

I agree with the other posters - build your own. I made a simple one that fixed to the right side of the rip fence. You can either do it with clamps or with T nuts.

It will make a good first project for your BT.

Jon
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I tried a fence that attached to the rip fence but did not like it. It made the rip fence heavy and I could not use the saw well with the router fence attached. I have an extension table and my router is mounted to it, well away from the saw blade. I made a router fence that attaches to the extension table with knobs with studs that go into t-nuts mounted in the extension table. I like this much better.

You can see pictures if you follow the link to the old articles. My saw is "Spruce and Sandeply" if I remember correctly.

Jim

Comment

Working...