X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack1064
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008

So I bought! Now what?

Well after some careful consideration and some good tips from you guys I decided on the BT3, now I am thrilled to have it, but was wondering what are some of the first things I should do as far as maintenance and preparation before I start my first basic job, which is ripping a 2x6 into two equal pieces! Thanks guys and I am glad to be part of what seems to be almost a 'cult' following of BT3 users!
  • ejs1097
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Welcome to the forum Jack, you'll find lots of great info here.

Did you buy a BT3000 or a BT3100? Since both are discontinued is it safe to assume you bought it used and already set up or was it NIB?

If used did you get to test drive it before you bought it?

probably the most important thing is to make sure the fence and blade are parallel to each other and the riving knife is directly aligned with the blade.

Ripping a 2x6 in 2 equal pieces won't leave much room for finger clearance between the blade and fence so if you don't have any push sticks, make some first to help prevent you from joining the numb club on your first cut!

Good luck, have fun and be safe.
    Last edited by ejs1097; 01-18-2008, 03:39 PM.
    Eric
    Be Kind Online

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Some really good info (much of it came the hard way) in Loring's (LCHIEN) FAQ bulletin. PM him with your e-mail addy, and he'll send it to you. Welcome to the cult...

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

welcome aboard!

well, mentioned by UC, get Loring's FAQ sheet. then go some where comfortable and sit down and read the entire manual. i did that the first time i used it. there are many things that one can learn.

once you have read through it, go to your machine and go through the setup pages and fine tune your machine following the procedures noted in the manual.

thats all that is coming to my mind for now,

good luck!

Comment

• gugie
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Redwood City, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

Speaking of cult...

http://www.cafepress.com/gugie

Note: no markup/profit on these, did them on a whim a few years back...

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

first thing to do based on the pic you posted in the other thread, is to see where the miter fence pivot is. That's a black plastic button found on the bottom of the miter fence, it slides and goes in the hole at the right or the left (usually the right is better) of the SMT top. It does NOT go in to the center slot.

If you don't have one it will be impossible to keep the miter fence from twisting.

Based on your pic it is either missing or not engaged in the right place!
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Greg.B
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Joppa, Maryland
              • Ryobi BT3100

When ripping a 2x6 you might experience some bog in the the saw. I would recommend making a cut like that in steps. Not that its not possible to do in 1 shot, but thats pretty demanding on the saw, which would bring up the next point, be sure to have the saw on a dedicated circuit.
              Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• Jack1064
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2008

Dedicated circuit? Not sure exactly what you mean, and I ripping the 2 x 6 horizontally to make 2 2 x 3's, will I still have to make two passes?

Comment

• big tim
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                  • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by Jack1064
                  Dedicated circuit? Not sure exactly what you mean, and I ripping the 2 x 6 horizontally to make 2 2 x 3's, will I still have to make two passes?
                  That means that no other loads, i.e. other equipment or appliances etc. are on the breaker that feeds the outlet your saw is connected to, at least not while you are running the saw.
                  You can rip a 2 x 6 in one pass, paricularly if you have a good blade, preferably a ripping blade, like for instance the Freud Diablo 24 tooth blade.

Welcome to the forum. I've always got a tremendous amount of help from the good people on BT3Central.

Tim
                  Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• bigstick509
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Macomb, MI, USA.
                    • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Now that you have the FAQ, before ripping that 2x6 you should read about ripping, and read about the 5 things that newbies break., in the FAQ.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jack1064
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2008

I have read and will read them again before I actually get started, I feel like a little kid at Christmas, just wanna get out there and play! Thanks again for the great advice so far and Im sure I will be buggin you guys a lot more!

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

If you are going to do much ripping, invest in a 24 tooth ripping blade. It will make a world of difference over a combination blade. the Frued Diablo is available at Lowe's and HD.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome Jack! And enjoy your new toy...er...tool. Please visit often, I wish I had when I first bought my BT3.
                            Happy projects to you.
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

Align your rip fence. The BT3100 will easily rip 1 1/2 softwood including with the stock blade but not if the fence is not aligned. I think the FAQ has a good description of how to align it but if not, ask.

I also changed the bolts that hold the aluminum extrusion that is the main part of the fence to the casting on the front of the rip fence (which you loosen to align the fence) with regular 1/4 hex head bolts. I think this makes it easier to loosen and tighten them. Even more important is to dab a bit of anti-seeze on whatever bolts you use. The anti-seeze will make it much easier to loosen the bolts the next time you align the fence.

Jim

Comment

Working...