X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack1064
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008

Should I buy?

I recently found this BT3000 on craigslist for $150, it comes with a cheap ryobi router and the router table attachment. I am just getting into woodworking and one not sure if I need a table saw and two not sure if the BT3000 is the saw for me. Also I know this is hard to do, but could you guys tell me if this is a good deal, I attached a picture, the guy said the saw is about 7 years old, not sure if I wanna get it so I figured what better group to ask! Thanks
  • pecker
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003

Well, it looks just like mine, and the price is decent.

Based on the position of the sliding miter table fence, it looks like the pivoting pin on the bottom might be missing. You could buy that part for a couple dollars, though.

Try raising and lowering the blade, to make sure it doesn't bind. Try operating the rip fence to make sure it still locks down reasonably well at both ends. And of course, turn it on to make sure the motor still operates.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's lots of posts here on the relative merits of this saw, as you might expect, since it is a BT3000-oriented forum, most are favorable.
      Basically my view the saw is a light duty saw, not recommended for heavy duty work, but will give great service to someone who takes reasonable care of their stuff and is not "ham-handed". When used properly it is very accurate and smooth running, easy to adjust and easy to add to and customize. It has a number of things that differ from bigger, cast-iron saws, that were designed to make it very cost effective. these may be off-putting or not. Certainly its much better than the $100-200 benchtop saws you see in the stores including the other Ryobi models.
      I like the BT3000 which was ended in 2002 or so and replaced by the BT3100, but are very much the same saw. The BT3100 has some mechanical improvements but the BT3000 looks nicer and MAYBE has a flatter top.

if its in good condition then $150 is a fair price, the previous poster made some good recommendations and suggestions. The most important thing is that the motor runs smoothly (at 5000 RPM no load it should sound almost like a jet engine - a bit faster than normal) and the elevation operate smoothly.

If you buy one or want more info before you buy one I have an extensive FAQ about the saw and its features/issues. See my sig line.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Basically my view the saw is a light duty saw, not recommended for heavy duty work, but will give great service to someone who takes reasonable care of their stuff and is not "ham-handed".
        I think I should try to clarify what Loring means here (if I may...)

This is not the saw for working 6 or 8 hours straight ripping 3 inch thich stock.

Anything that the average homeowner who does not make a living cutting wood on their table saw can throw at a BT3k, it can handle.

I'd say it's a pretty good deal for someone just getting into woodworking. The router will come in handy too, although I'm sure you'll find yourself wanting to replace it with a better one not too far down the road. But routers always come in handy - you'll find something useful for the cheapo ryobi one to do even after you get a better one.
        Last edited by Garasaki; 01-18-2008, 10:25 AM.
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

I recently bought a bigger saw after owning a BT3100 for three years. I've still got the BT and I still use it.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

You could not go wrong with a BT3K as a first saw. You will get a lot of woodworking under your belt before you exceed its capabilities. It has it's quirks (read Loring's FAQ), but it is a lot of bang for the buck, and even those who moved on to a more industrial saw usually still have a soft spot for their ol' BT.

Comment

• George Cole
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2007

I think the first thing you have to ask yourself is what do I want to do with a table saw. Your remark " Cheap Ryobi Router" tells me that your looking for high dollar verses quality. I have a Ryobi router...it does all I ask it to do..I own a BT-3000 table saw...It does all I ask it to do..As you state, you are just starting....then start with the basics and use this wonderful forum to build on your skills. Please, please do not equate money spent with out put of projects you may produce...If you have the desire you [B][U]WILL develop great skills. This is just my opinion..Take the first step bro...we are here to assist you..

Best regards,
              George Cole

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

As long as motor is in good shape and the shims are intact, you can't go wrong.

As to the router, I'll echo George. You will always find a use for it. I have a big Hitachi in a router table and a Bosch for hand held work. My first router, a 1 1/2 HP Craftsman hangs under the BT3000 and sees a lot of work. My "go to" for trim and round over work is a 40+ year old Rockwell 100.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

Working...