• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

While a GOOD blade can improve a cheap circular saw, it still won't beat a good saw and the same blade.

Your going to have to decide what features you want/need, as there are saws in all the catagories.

Worm Drive, Skil, Bosch, Makita, Big Foot (the Makita and I believe the Bosch are a helical drive, instead of Worm)
    Right handers, right blade, Porter Cable 324/no brake or 325/with brake, and both of these have an adjustible dust chute.
    No Break Bosch CS10 or CS20, which has a obtainable dust chute.
    Makita 5007mga or 5008mga, (led's, electric brake, etc) The Bosch dust chute is supposed to fix these when it comes to dust collection.
    The Worx, has gone on sale, incredibly inexpensivally before, and it has a dust chute (if not in box, it is orderable), but no brake. However it has some of the best ergonomic for long rips.
    Porter Cables left blade models, 423 (no brake) and 424 (brake) are the left bladed versions of the above Porter Cable.
    I believe Dewalts 36x series has a brake.
    Milwaukees, I don't know much about in features, just that they are workhorses.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I don't think you would end up with a "bad" saw with anything that has been metioned. I chose a PC right blade as it's powerful and relatively light. I brough home a left blade thinking that would be an improvement seeing the blade better. I made several "dry" cuts with the blade raised and no power.

Opps... boxed it back up and took it back to exchange for the right blade I cut my teeth on. Something just didn't mesh for me with a left blade and how you feel with the saw in your hand is more important that brand name for the most part. All the saws mentioned will work and generally work well. Find the one that feels the best to you it my advice.

BTW... I would not hesitate to purchase PC.. Milwaukee.. Makita and the Hitachi is pretty good at less price. I have used all of those and would be happy with any of them. In fairness, I have not used the Rigid or Bosch, but I would bet they preform also. I just don't know how those feel to me!

Comment

• JeffG78
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
        • BT3100

I bought a Milwaukee CS about 15 years ago and after tons of hard use, it is still working like new. It has great power, feels good in my hand, and I really like the height adjustment. It is the old sliding style rather than a tilt adjust. With the slider, the saw feels the same no matter what the height setting. The tilt saws don't feel right to me when they are set shallow. I always adjust the height no matter what I am cutting.

One more thing I like - It is still made in the USA!

I have also used my saw quite a bit to cut concrete and cement blocks with a diamond blade.

Here is a link to a new version of my saw http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6375...736180&sr=1-12

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

You might want to look at the little ridgid feugo is you like the idea of a smaller saw.
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• messmaker
            Veteran Member
            • May 2004
            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
            • Ridgid 2424

I have several circular saws and they all have things I like about them. If you don't use one a bunch more than most people, it is easy to overspend. A $50-75 saw will do what most people need for years. If you are a hard user you may need a hoss but most don't. The PC with a dust chute is pretty sweet if you need to use it in the shop but it is about $125 beans.
            spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

My only advice is to check out details of the comparisons. For tailed versions having 15 AMPs or close to it, light weight, and how comfortable it is to use should be the factors. Ease of changing blades, blade guard lift, height adjustment, switch, and sturdiness of the bottom plate are to be considered.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for all the great posts, I am starting to lean torwards a right hand Milwaukee. Next visit to big orange, I will have a look see.
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                  I don't think you would end up with a "bad" saw with anything that has been metioned. I chose a PC right blade as it's powerful and relatively light. I brough home a left blade thinking that would be an improvement seeing the blade better. I made several "dry" cuts with the blade raised and no power.

Opps... boxed it back up and took it back to exchange for the right blade I cut my teeth on. Something just didn't mesh for me with a left blade and how you feel with the saw in your hand is more important that brand name for the most part. All the saws mentioned will work and generally work well. Find the one that feels the best to you it my advice. <snip>
                  I know that you have made up your mind on a right side, Milwaukee. I just want to reinforce what SARGE said about the left sided saws. I wasn't as smart as he was so I'm stuck with mine. If you are right handed you use your body weight to anchor the wood. The saw is supported on the left side of the wood with the blade to the right along with the cut-off. If the blade is on the left the saw is sitting on the cut-off. See what I mean? Left sided saws are best for left handed people.
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• smorris
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I got one of the Ryobi One+ saws in a kit and it has really surprised me. I use it now routinely for cutting 3/4 sheet goods before they go on the table saw. I really like not keeping track of the cord and just being able to walk out and start cutting.
                    --
                    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by ironhat
                      I know that you have made up your mind on a right side, Milwaukee. I just want to reinforce what SARGE said about the left sided saws. I wasn't as smart as he was so I'm stuck with mine. If you are right handed you use your body weight to anchor the wood. The saw is supported on the left side of the wood with the blade to the right along with the cut-off. If the blade is on the left the saw is sitting on the cut-off. See what I mean? Left sided saws are best for left handed people.
                      You nailed my thoughts and discovery shut with your description, Chiz. The theory sounded good of being able to see that blade better during the cut. But... theory doesn't always tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Hence... a "dry fire" to test theory "in the trench" as opposed to "on paper" made the discovery of exactly what you described. It threw the whole formula of balance and gravity out of kilter. You can see the line of cut a little better... but you will fight gravity and balance during the entire cut making it not only a PITA.. but somewhat potentially dangerous.

Again.... good call on your part and you described it perfectly.....

Comment

• jabe
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Hilo, Hawaii
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

My first choice is the 6" PC saw boss, blade on the left.
                        Its light and has enough power but loud. My next choice is Skill 7 1/4" Maganesium worm drive with a sky hook attached, lot of power & smooth. I always tell people whatever you're comfortable using left or right sided blade is what you buy. I'm right handed and prefer my blade on the left. Check out Amazon.com most of the tools they sell has reviews that might be helpful. Remember more amps more power/torque.

Comment

Working...