X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pakaderm
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004

Why upgrade to an OSS?

Is an OSS significantly better than a drill press mounted sanding drum? Sanding drums sets are $10 and OSSs are > $100. How does one make the decision to upgrade to the OSS?

Thanks,
    -Pak
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

for starters, the oscillating motion is hard to duplicate with a DP, the up/down motion prevents horizontal streaks and promotes even wear of the sleeve.

For another, the DP aren't made for side-loading - I'm guessing that the side load is harder on the bearings and may lead to run out.

Then there's the whole convenience factor, you have to make a special table for the DP to allow the drum/sleeve to go below surface level.

OSS usually have a built-in dust port.

there's probably more, that's what i can think of in 15 seconds.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

In addition to preventing wear, the oscillation seems to improve sanding performance. For me, it was both the dust control and as I got the ridgid, the oscillating belt. I use the belt most of the time, as the ends provide 2 different sized profiles for curves, and the flat allows tapering etc.... I can do on it what most people do on both an OSS and a disc sander. The DP also limits movement of a piece around based upon the distance from quill to support column. I've sanded a few things from an internal cut that wouldn't allow for this DP limitation.

Additionally it's light enough to stow away.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

I have both and there is no comparison, the OSS is far superior.
        John Hunter

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Most analogies are imperfect, but I'd equate the two to the differences between a handheld drill and a drill press. Both will make round holes, but it's the drill press that makes the better hole, all else being equal.

Like Keith, I have the Ridgid OS/B sander. I use the belt more than the spindle; probably about a 60-40 split. Still, I use and like the spindle enough that I may someday upgrade to a larger, floor-standing OSS.

However, if you don't sand all that many curves, you might do better overall with a belt/disc sander (if you don't already have one) while continuing to use the DP attachment for the occasional sanding jobs that require a spindle.
          Larry

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

And the hit doesn't have to be so hard to own an OSS. I got mine from HF when it was on sale and I had a 20% off coupon. Paid like $59 bucks for it, and it does the job.

Comment

Working...