Clear All
  • agent511
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Philadelphia
    • TS3650

zctp 2 questions

And I think I know the answers, too!

1. I am doing a ZCTP for a thin-kerf blade. I need to 'break the ice' on this first. I don't have a 7 1/4" thin kerf blade. How do I do this? I surmise I just use the smaller blade and make a small cut into the zctp, just enough to allow the 10" blade under and complete the cut.

2. With my Forrest WWII thin kerf, I bought a dampener plate. When I used this combo with my existing (1/8") zctp, i realized when I had trouble lifting the blade, that it was hanging up, then realized it was the extra plate that was hanging it up. I surmise that I can only use this combo for very low blade heights; for higher heights, I have to take the dampener off, which really makes it kinda useless, since it is for the higher heights that you would want moer stability in the blade.
    darksider
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

1. On the 1/4 lexan plates I made, the blade went low enough to allow cutting with a 10" blade, YMMV tho' as I have seen issues with fried belts even with a 1/4" plate. I'd probably use a 1/8" or 1/4" bit on the router table to route a relief in the underside of the plate.
    2. You can also route reliefs for the stabilizer plates if you insist on using them, but no matter what you do you won't be able to cut at full height with the plates installed. You lose considerable cutting depth using the plates. Personally I'd just ditch them, but that's me.
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

last question 1st - ditch the dampener. They don't seem to do any good and gives you the problems mentioned. That seems to be the general concensus here if you want to search the archives.

as for the other Q, you just need to remove enough material from the underside of the ZCTP so the 10" blade doesn't "hang" on the ZCTP when you start the saw, possibly breaking the belts. So yes, you could slightly score the bottom of the ZCTP with a FK 7" blade.
      So I'd have to think a bit to figureout how to know when to stop raising the 7" blade... or for that matter to check if the 10" blade is even contact the bottom of the blank ZCTP...

I can offer you this: the elevation screw of the BT3 is 12 Threads per inch, so each 1/4 turn of the crank raises the blade ~.021" . If you measure the thickness of the ZCTP and set the blade so it touches the bottom of the ZCTP, then you know how many turns to raise it without breaking thru.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-20-2007, 10:35 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

1 - I personally had no proble "priming" a 1/4" thick ZCTP with a regular 10" blade. But yeah you can rout a groove on the underside to make things easier.

2 - ditch the stiffener.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Maybe this isn't the place, but when T-nuts was sold, I thought Gugie had stopped making/selling the zero clearance throat plates.

The neighbor who upgraded, asked me about them, and I see they are on the site. Are they still being sold?

What about Styron's PDF? That is 404, anyone have a copy I can give him?

Thanks
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• agent511
            Established Member
            • Jun 2005
            • Philadelphia
            • TS3650

thanks for the help all.

Linux might want to consider starting a new thread. No extra charge
            darksider

Comment

• mkel2000
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2004
              • Lakeside, CA, USA.

Stiffener or Dampener?

Two replies to the OP talk about a stiffener or dampener. I assume both are referring to the small metal circles that fit on either side of the blade? Is it safe to operate the BT without this device? I figured since it was included by Ryobi it was a necessary safety item for operation of the BT.

Mark

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

The blade dampener is an extra disc that bolts on with the blade, supposedly to reduce vibration and distortion on thin kerf blades.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mkel2000
                  Two replies to the OP talk about a stiffener or dampener. I assume both are referring to the small metal circles that fit on either side of the blade? Is it safe to operate the BT without this device? I figured since it was included by Ryobi it was a necessary safety item for operation of the BT.

Mark
                  You're referring to the blade washers. They have the "flats" that match the flats on the arbor. That keeps them from rotating, and when they clamp the blade it keeps the blade form rotating unless it's really stuck.
                  You must keep the blade washers on.

The blade stiffeners are aftermarket devices similar but with a circular arbor hole (no flats) about 1/8" to 3/16 thick and about 3-5 inches in diameter.
                  It also limits unintentionally the depth of cut...

HartvilleTool.com is now HartvilleHardware.com! Same company, same service, same brands, but much bigger selection
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal

What about Styron's PDF? That is 404, anyone have a copy I can give him?

Thanks
                    I don't think they are being sold right now by anyone. I somehow lost Gugie's pdf between website swaps and computer crashes. If someone does have a copy, I would like to get it back and host it again.
                    Thanks.
                    Lee

Comment

• mkel2000
                      Forum Newbie
                      • May 2004
                      • Lakeside, CA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      You're referring to the blade washers. They have the "flats" that match the flats on the arbor. That keeps them from rotating, and when they clamp the blade it keeps the blade form rotating unless it's really stuck.
                      You must keep the blade washers on.

The blade stiffeners are aftermarket devices similar but with a circular arbor hole (no flats) about 1/8" to 3/16 thick and about 3-5 inches in diameter.
                      It also limits unintentionally the depth of cut...

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10736
                      Thank you for clearing up my confusion.

Mark

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
                        I don't think they are being sold right now by anyone.
                        Hey Lee,

I thought you once stated that you would run off a few for us poor lost souls.

I could 2 at the least.

This is mucho important as I souuldnt even be at the computer today (Most solem Jewish holday, and If we believed in H**l, that's where I'm going to go).

Please make my eternity in a hot place worth while.

Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• maxparot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                          Hey Lee,
                          This is mucho important as I souuldnt even be at the computer today (Most solem Jewish holday, and If we believed in H**l, that's where I'm going to go).

Please make my eternity in a hot place worth while.

Bruce
                          Hey Bruce,
                          There is no H**l in the Jewish faith!
                          Opinions are like gas;
                          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• agent511
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2005
                            • Philadelphia
                            • TS3650

I actually stayed off the internet last 24 hours, trying to be a little more repentent as I age. L'shana tovah, Bruce and Max. Now I am back.

Yes the dampener/stiffener is an add-on flat round plate to give more substance to the thin blade to prevent vibration/wobble. It is not the mandatory washers that may come with your saw. (I have a different saw, being a darksider).

I have another ZCTP question. I will be drilling a large hole , like 3/4", to aid in dust clearance from the top of the saw, and also to aid in removing the ZCTP as a finger hole. Is there a particular "sweet spot" to make the hole? I am thinking to the right of the blade, and in front of the furthest forward extension of the blade slot.
                            darksider

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2003
                              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by maxparot
                              Hey Bruce,
                              There is no H**l in the Jewish faith!

Hey Max,

In a way there is, its called marrage