• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tedkitch
    • Jul 2006
    • NE Suburbs, Chicago
    • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

Dado cuts on a RAS?

Does anyone do dados on a RAS? Someone at work was telling me that he does his dados on a RAS. Wouldn't there be a problem with the saw pulling your hands towards the blade?

I've been sitting here playing with my RAS and wondering how you would do it with something long. I guess you could turn the blade parallel to the fence and run board through it that way, but it doesn't look very safe to me.

Any thoughts?
    Ted Kitch
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think they meant doing cross-cut dados.
    Its very good at that... you can see the dado as its being cut.

I would not do "rip-type" dados with a RAS, although I guess you could, for the reason you mention..
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Cross dados are easy... You are pulling the saw through the work, and it will try to "walk" toward you, but you can control the feed. Rips are more dangerous, as you are feeding the work, rather than moving the saw, and the blades will throw the workpiece if you give them half a chance. DAMHIKT

Comment

• jgrobler
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Salinas, CA, USA.
        • TS3650

I agree with Loring, great for doing croscut dados. I don't see how the saw will pull your hand towards the blade. The workpiece is supported by the fence, the blade will push the piece against the fence, your one hand can support the piece (far enough from the blade, and not in line with the blade's travel) while the other hand is pulling the motor. If it's a small workpiece, secure it with clamps to the fence, some tables has little imbedded nuts for holding screw attachments to keep workpieces secure.

I also won't do grooves parallel to the fence.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by jgrobler
          I agree with Loring, great for doing croscut dados. I don't see how the saw will pull your hand towards the blade. The workpiece is supported by the fence, the blade will push the piece against the fence, your one hand can support the piece (far enough from the blade, and not in line with the blade's travel) while the other hand is pulling the motor. If it's a small workpiece, secure it with clamps to the fence, some tables has little imbedded nuts for holding screw attachments to keep workpieces secure.

I also won't do grooves parallel to the fence.

You are exactly right. Crosscut dadoes will have a tendency to "climb" towards you. The best bet is to take shallow cuts and slow down the pull speed, and learn to control the saw.

For ripping, a very dangerous procedure. One hand and arm has to "backside" the cut in order to pass all the way through the cut. You're pushing the stock close to the fence, and have to pull it out when it gets to the end of the cut.

Even doing long dadoes on the TS, you have to change hands or take a step or two to run a long board, while holding the sucker down tight. Very easy to get a slight drift or an uneven bottom to the dado on the TS. I prefer to do dadoes with a router. For crosscut dadoes, I use a jig I made which simplifies the process. See it here.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

From many years of experience with the RAS, I would have to agree that for crosscut dado's, it's really hard to beat the RAS. But, I would never attempt to do a "rip" dado on the saw.

Regarding the "climb" factor, during crosscuts. There seems to be some challenge regarding how fast one needs to "pull" the saw into the wood. While almost everyone has some idea that you simply don't shove a board into the table saw; when it comes to using the RAS, it appears that many folks get the impression of "danger" because the saw will climb if you overfeed. Simple fact is that on crosscuts, your "pull" should be a "controlled cut", just as it would be on a table saw.

So, if you're using a dado set, your feed rate would be less than a single saw blade. The advantage of the RAS, is that with the cut exposed to view, you can see exactly what the blade is doing and control the cut. Also, please note that at no time should your hands and fingers ever be in the blade path... I'm sure you wouldn't place your hands in line with the blade on a table saw, so why should the question be raised when using the RAS?

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by cwsmith
              From many years of experience with the RAS, I would have to agree that for crosscut dado's, it's really hard to beat the RAS. But, I would never attempt to do a "rip" dado on the saw.

Regarding the "climb" factor, during crosscuts. There seems to be some challenge regarding how fast one needs to "pull" the saw into the wood. While almost everyone has some idea that you simply don't shove a board into the table saw; when it comes to using the RAS, it appears that many folks get the impression of "danger" because the saw will climb if you overfeed. Simple fact is that on crosscuts, your "pull" should be a "controlled cut", just as it would be on a table saw.

So, if you're using a dado set, your feed rate would be less than a single saw blade. The advantage of the RAS, is that with the cut exposed to view, you can see exactly what the blade is doing and control the cut. Also, please note that at no time should your hands and fingers ever be in the blade path... I'm sure you wouldn't place your hands in line with the blade on a table saw, so why should the question be raised when using the RAS?

CWS
              Excellent explanation and advice. When you think about it, its really common sense. Having acquired a RAS only a few months ago, I have read the book and one other about using a RAS. Both from owwm.org. Very good reads and a must read for anyone thinking of getting a RAS. Its not your typical saw. It was the one saw my father used the most during his lifetime. He loved them, but never ripped anything on the RAS. Thats why we have table saws.
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I do cross-cut dados with my Ryobi RAS sometimes. I use the inexpensive Freud Pro stacked set which has a negative hook angle. That helps it not pull itself into the cut. My Ryobi does not have either a long arbor or a lot of power so I limit it to 1/2 inch dado.

Jim

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I do all crosscutting on a RAS, including dadoes. It is excellent for that. But I never rip on it. For grooves, I use either TS or router.

Comment

• Thom2
                    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Stevens, PA, USA.
                    • Craftsman 22124

I got into a lengthy discussion with my Dad about saw blades for the RAS. When he started talking about rip operations, I was extremely glad for this conversation as I found out that I could very well have saved him some fingers.

Judging from the replies here, I think this is 'assumed' to be 'general knowledge', but I'm going to point it out anyway. As evidenced by discussion with my father, it's not as 'general' as I had thought.

-------------------------------------

Ripping operations on a RAS are ENTIRELY different than crosscutting. When you move the RAS carriage into the rip mode, you will actually be feeding stock into what is normally the 'back' of the blade. The teeth off the blade are actually coming up and at you when ripping, trying to shove back at you. It is IMPORTANT to have ALL hold downs and safety guards in place if you are going to attempt this.

Feeding into the wrong side of the blade can prove catastrophic as the teeth are actually pulling the wood away from you, human reflex rates aren't all that fast and you very well could have your hands dragged into the blade before you ever thought to let go. At the very least you'll end up with a hole in the garage door/wall/window, whatever is on the other side of the blade.

To further complicate matters, there's 2 different ripping operations on a RAS, you have "in-rip" and "out-rip", each of which require using the opposite side of the table as infeed because you're turning the carriage 180 degrees.

I personally don't rip on my RAS, I just don't like it. If you are going to consider it tho', I highly recommend you have a thorough understanding of the operation before attempting it.
                    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by Thom2
                      I got into a lengthy discussion with my Dad about saw blades for the RAS. When he started talking about rip operations, I was extremely glad for this conversation as I found out that I could very well have saved him some fingers.

Judging from the replies here, I think this is 'assumed' to be 'general knowledge', but I'm going to point it out anyway. As evidenced by discussion with my father, it's not as 'general' as I had thought.

-------------------------------------

Ripping operations on a RAS are ENTIRELY different than crosscutting. When you move the RAS carriage into the rip mode, you will actually be feeding stock into what is normally the 'back' of the blade. The teeth off the blade are actually coming up and at you when ripping, trying to shove back at you. It is IMPORTANT to have ALL hold downs and safety guards in place if you are going to attempt this.

Feeding into the wrong side of the blade can prove catastrophic as the teeth are actually pulling the wood away from you, human reflex rates aren't all that fast and you very well could have your hands dragged into the blade before you ever thought to let go. At the very least you'll end up with a hole in the garage door/wall/window, whatever is on the other side of the blade.

To further complicate matters, there's 2 different ripping operations on a RAS, you have "in-rip" and "out-rip", each of which require using the opposite side of the table as infeed because you're turning the carriage 180 degrees.

I personally don't rip on my RAS, I just don't like it. If you are going to consider it tho', I highly recommend you have a thorough understanding of the operation before attempting it.

Quoting the whole thing because it should be read. There is a REASON those antikickback pawls are with the RAS. Don't remove them, just slide them higher out of the way if your not going to use them. Whoever ends up with your saw in the future MAY want them! Like a tablesaw, the pawls are at the backside of the blade when in use.

And learn to use a pusher.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• scorrpio
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

The Craftsman RAS I have has the new modified guard - most of its modifications are for the ripping. The guard is shaped in a way that trying to feed stock from wrong side of blade will be blocked by the guard. The guard is also fitted with a riving knife and pawls. There is also a front guard that is lowered to match stock thickness. The board will go under the guard, but the fingers on top of the board will be stopped. Even with all that safety added, I just don't feel right doing rips on a RAS.

TS is far better for the task.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by scorrpio
                          The Craftsman RAS I have has the new modified guard - most of its modifications are for the ripping. The guard is shaped in a way that trying to feed stock from wrong side of blade will be blocked by the guard. The guard is also fitted with a riving knife and pawls. There is also a front guard that is lowered to match stock thickness. The board will go under the guard, but the fingers on top of the board will be stopped. Even with all that safety added, I just don't feel right doing rips on a RAS.

TS is far better for the task.

Supposed to drop down the back (now front in rip mode) of the gaurds with at least the old DeWalts (what I have). I thought they were all that way. (Just because I have the RAS, doesn't mean I am gonna rip on it, but also doesn't mean I shouldn't learn the proper way).
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LarryG
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2004
                            • Off The Back
                            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Thom2
                            Feeding into the wrong side of the blade can prove catastrophic as the teeth are actually pulling the wood away from you, human reflex rates aren't all that fast and you very well could have your hands dragged into the blade before you ever thought to let go.
                            So is this why radial arm saws have such a bad reputation as ripping machines -- because people are feeding the stock backwards, i.e. with the same relationship to the blade as when crosscutting?

If so, that explains a lot. My dad's shop featured an RAS rather than a TS; it's what I "learned on." Over the long years we ripped thousands of linear feet of stock, never with an incident, and because of that I have never understood all the safety hysteria about this tool. Used properly, it's as safe as any machine in the workshop.
                            Larry

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

Larry,

I agree with you, I have also ripped lots of stock on the RAS, but I've never tried to use a dado blade in the manner.

Your comment about the "same relationship with the blade" I believe is different though. On a crosscut, you pull the blade into the stock and on a rip, you feed the stock into the back of the blade... with the pawls properly adjusted on the normal "front" of the saw.

Without the use of the anti-kickback pawls and of course the splitter, I think anyone is asking for trouble. That's probably the basis for a lot of the "safety questions" that come up... that and the continued advice from some sources that says, "push" cut when making a crosscut (to avoid blade climb). Some of these practices leave me scratching my head!

CWS
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...