BOSCH 1617EVSPK ROUTER(still first choice??)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Pappy
    Thanks for the info, Jeffrey. I'l give Bosch a call this week on the switch. mine is the magnesium housing and sticking is a problem.
    Send it in at one of their authroized repair drop off stations and I bet it comes back with aluminum housing (ie a different router). Happened to me . . . .

Comment

• HarmsWay
      • Nov 2003
      • Victoria, BC
      • BT3000

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
      Send it in at one of their authroized repair drop off stations and I bet it comes back with aluminum housing (ie a different router). Happened to me . . . .
      Does anyone know if that exchange is available in Canada? My 1617 is still probably my favourite power tool, but the magnesium motor housing just seems to oxidize badly. Maybe that's more of an issue at the coast though. I've cleaned and waxed it a couple of times which helps keep it unstuck for a year or so.

Bob

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
        All the Bosch units on the shelf should now have sealed switch unless you are looking at a router that has been sitting on the shelf for some time. All the Bosch units on the shelf should have the newer style aluminum motor housing instead of the magnesium.
        Two out of three of my questions answered before I even asked, thank you!

Third question: How hard is it to change bits on the Bosch when used in a router lift (in a table)? This is pretty easy on my DW618. I can hold the shaft lock with one hand and turn the wrench with the other.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by cgallery
          How hard is it to change bits on the Bosch when used in a router lift (in a table)? This is pretty easy on my DW618.
          Assuming the lift will raise the collet clear of the table, it's even easier. The Bosch uses the classic two-wrench system instead of a spindle lock.
          Larry

Comment

• DJehlik
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2006
            • Walnut Creek, CA
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

This site is a pretty good one for router comparisons:
            http://www.patwarner.com/

Dave

Comment

• Tom Hintz
              • Feb 2004
              • Concord, NC, USA.

Mark,
              I also have been using the Bosch 1617 router for years and would have to agree they are either the best or tied with the PC 890 series for the most popular honors. I have both in my shop but use the Bosch more frequently because I just like the feel of it better I guess.I have reviews of the Bosch, PC and a few other brands at the link below if that would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html#routers
              Tom Hintz
              NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• dsb1829
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2008

Got my vote. I did a lot of reading on the combo kits. I have wanted a PC for years, but when it came down to time to purchase I went to a couple of stores and checked out the tools first hand. The Bosch simply felt better to me and I liked the adjustments. Couple that with a Lowe's coupon and it was a done deal, instant gratification. I have only used it a few times so far, but it has been very nice.

Comment

• gettools
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2006
                  • Fort Worth, Texas
                  • BT3100

Thank yall for your inputs. After reading all the answers i was going to get the Bosch set up, but a friend of mine had a new Dewalt DW618 3 piece kit that he sold to me for $125.00 ( I couldnt pass up for the price ) so far I have been real happy with it
                  Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

That's a great router, you scored big time!
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Yep, ditto that, Keith. I have two and I thought that I did well at $199 on the second one. You smoked any competition! I have one dedicated to my router table (I just can't seem to find time to list the extra bases on E-bay as I promised the wife so that I could recoup some of the expense of a second one) and the other is used for hand held use.
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

Working...