BOSCH 1617EVSPK ROUTER(still first choice??)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gettools
    Established Member
    • Sep 2006
    • Fort Worth, Texas
    • BT3100

BOSCH 1617EVSPK ROUTER(still first choice??)

In the FAQ it suggests the Bosch 1617EVSPK as the first router of choice. Is this still good ? I am asking because I am going to buy my first router & I want to make sure I get the the best one for my bt3100.
    Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

I have had a 1617 for a few years and have said it's the best choice. A few months ago HDT had a blowout on Dewalt DW618 3 base kits and I was lucky enough to get one. The 1617 stays in the router table and the DW does all the hand routing. I do like the 618, for me it's right in there with the Bosch. The DC on the plunge base is real good.
    Either one of those will make you happy.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

I have a couple 1617 routers and love them. I find the fixed and plunge bases of the Bosch to be superior to the DeWalt 618 series. I think the fit and finish of the DeWalt is well below the Bosch 1617. I use Bosch dust collection fittings for the fixed and plunge bases. I also have a dust collection hood that fits on the bottom of the base which is great for edge routing applications.

Having the Bosch, DeWalt and Hitachi 2.25 series I highly prefer the Bosch.

Comment

• coach
        Established Member
        • Jan 2005
        • Forney, TX.
        • Powermatic 66

Only talking about the 2.25 class routers here.

At one point in time, I've had a few Porter Cables, a Hitachi kit, a POS Ryobi, and the 1617evs. Since then, I've sold all of my routers and replaced them with a couple of 1617 kits. They are the only routers I use, and likely the only ones I'll buy.

There are a couple of advantages to having all the same routers, I think. I never have to hunt for the right collet wrenches. I was able to recoup some coin by selling of a couple extra plunge and fixed bases.

I have yet to buy a Bosch tool that wasn't my favorite. Over the years, I've replaced my DW 18v cordless tools with the Bosch set; it was a good improvement to me.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

I went with the 1617 so note that I am biased. I then found a good deal locally on an 1618 D handle. I liked the D handle from my 690 days as it was handy for jigs and my preferred router for roundovers.

From the different forums I visit, the figures I roughly estimated was the 1617 (whole series) was at 55% and the DeWalt was 45% (not counting the other thrown out routers like the Triton). I think either would make you happy, best go look somewhere for some hands on feel.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by coach
            Only talking about the 2.25 class routers here.

At one point in time, I've had a few Porter Cables, a Hitachi kit, a POS Ryobi, and the 1617evs. Since then, I've sold all of my routers and replaced them with a couple of 1617 kits. They are the only routers I use, and likely the only ones I'll buy.

There are a couple of advantages to having all the same routers, I think. I never have to hunt for the right collet wrenches. I was able to recoup some coin by selling of a couple extra plunge and fixed bases.

I have yet to buy a Bosch tool that wasn't my favorite. Over the years, I've replaced my DW 18v cordless tools with the Bosch set; it was a good improvement to me.
            I agree with every sentence in your post! I do currently have 1 non-1617 router but it has a dedicated bit and is never changed. I love having routers on the same standard for wrenches, accessories, collets (not that I have ever use 1/4" in the 1617).

I agree on general position of Bosch tools. Have 3 1295 sanders and love them. Again, dust attachments all being standard is great. I have 14.4 drill/driver that I have used the heck out of and it keeps on going strong.

Comment

• bthere
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Alpharetta, GA

I'll throw my vote for the 1617 set in. It is the one I almost always reach for. For me, the feel of the plunge mechanism was the deal maker. None of the others felt right to me. I do keep a few other routers around that tend to be used for specific purposes, but the 1617 is my favorite general use set.

I'm with the other guys on most of the Bosch tools - Jig Saw, Sander, Router - all are favorites. I find that Bosch and Milwaukee are generally my favorite manufacturers, but for a general purpose router, I think the 1617 kit is the way to go.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I would not want to indicate there is anything wrong with a Bosch mid-sized router but I will add my support for my Porter Cable 690s. There is zero difference between a 11 and 12 amp router, to me. The 690s are labeled 1 3/4 hp versus 2 or 2 1/4 for the other mid-sized but the actual difference is typically 1 amp on the motor. I challenge anybody to show that 1 amp makes a noticable difference.

The PC890 series is the new one and has the same size motor as the Bosch you are considering. If the price was the same I would get the newer PC or the Bosch. The price is typically not the same, however. I got my second PC690 in a three base set for $200. It may not be quite as nice but I am very happy with my two PCs.

I agree that it is better to have more of the same design. I have special bases for special purposes and other jigs. You do not want to have to have two of all your jigs.

All the reviews I've read indicate that any of the nicer two base kits is a good way to go. The Bosch typically gets top marks but they typically indicate that the range of difference is less on mid-sized routers than on most tools.

Last point, if you want the Bosch, don't forget that Sears sells a red version of the same two piece set and it is sometimes much cheaper - I've seen it under $200. It is the same Bosch router - it is just red instead of blue and says Craftsman instead of Bosch - I think it has plastic handles instead of wood too but no functional difference.

Jim

Comment

• coach
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2005
                  • Forney, TX.
                  • Powermatic 66

Originally posted by JimD

Last point, if you want the Bosch, don't forget that Sears sells a red version of the same two piece set and it is sometimes much cheaper - I've seen it under $200. It is the same Bosch router - it is just red instead of blue and says Craftsman instead of Bosch - I think it has plastic handles instead of wood too but no functional difference.

Jim
                  It does have maple handles, they are stained dark though. I see it sell for $199 about every other month.

OTOH,
                  If you get the Bosch brand, try to find the package that includes the accessory kit. It will have an edge guide, dust pickups, and a few other goodies.
                  If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

I have a 1617 and a pc890. I like the 1617 better, and it's my goto router of choice. The 890 is in my router lift, but noticeably heats up during use. I love the Bosch plunge base.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by JimD

Jim
                      I believe it was here that someone listed the Craftsman Bosch on closeout for around $129. But there is another difference, it's baseplate is a Craftsman screw pattern and set up for their accessories. However My understanding is the other holes are their, just not tapped.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                        I believe it was here that someone listed the Craftsman Bosch on closeout for around $129. But there is another difference, it's baseplate is a Craftsman screw pattern and set up for their accessories. However My understanding is the other holes are their, just not tapped.
                        I would simply replace the Craftsman plate with one from Pat Warner or similar source. Bosch plate uses their proprietary funky snap it collars versus the more standard PC type.

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

The only drawback to my 1617EVSPK is that the switch is not sealed and will fail when it gets clogged with sawdust.

What I always recommend is to go to the stores and handle the routers you are considering. Bosh, PC, Dewalt, Hitachi and others make excellent routers with similar specs. Make your final decision based on the cost, available accessories, and the one that feels most comfortable in your hands.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Pappy
                            The only drawback to my 1617EVSPK is that the switch is not sealed and will fail when it gets clogged with sawdust.

What I always recommend is to go to the stores and handle the routers you are considering. Bosh, PC, Dewalt, Hitachi and others make excellent routers with similar specs. Make your final decision based on the cost, available accessories, and the one that feels most comfortable in your hands.

You can send it in to Bosch and they will replace it or you can call them up and they will mail you one to replace the unsealed switch.

All the Bosch units on the shelf should now have sealed switch unless you are looking at a router that has been sitting on the shelf for some time. I know all Amazon Bosch units are newer with sealed switch.

All the Bosch units on the shelf should have the newer style aluminum motor housing instead of the magnesium. The mag base was getting stuck to the mag motor.

The Bosch units with above table accessory have sealed switches.

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

Thanks for the info, Jeffrey. I'l give Bosch a call this week on the switch. mine is the magnesium housing and sticking is a problem.
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...