• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

25 Pc brad point drill bit set?

I am currently looking for a 25 pc set and was wondering where you guys got yours and if they were a good quality and you are satisfied with them. I just purchased a set from MCLS for $17.00 so wasn't expecting the best and sure enough they aren't plus they don't have the reduced shafts so I'd have to buy a 1/2" drill which I don't fancy having to pay $100.00 or so for especially since I never seem to need that powerful of a drill or at least haven't yet. I've got a DeWalt 3/8" and it's powerful enough for woodworking. I know that Highlandhardware has a really nice one for about $150.00 but man that's a lot of money for drill bits. Anyway thought I'd see if somebody knew of a brand or site. I've looked everywhere but few sell a 25 Pc set to begin with. Appreciate any directions on this.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • Stormbringer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Floral Park, NY
    • Bosch 4000

I gotta tell you, I bought this set from HF and can't complain. $7.99 on sale and worth every penny IMHO.

Now, it isn't the $150 set you mention, but it doesn't try to be. They do what you want them to do - drill holes.

Best,
    Greg

Comment

• lcm1947
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Austin, Texas
      • BT 3100-1

Greg do they have the reduced shafts do you know?

Comment

• Stormbringer
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Floral Park, NY
        • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by lcm1947
        Greg do they have the reduced shafts do you know?
        Mac, yeah, it's even mentioned in the description "Shank: 1/2" cut down to 3/8"

Always in their sale flyer for $7.99. Currently on their website for $15. They're the same as the smaller piece set shown here (notice the shanks in the pic)

Greg
        Last edited by Stormbringer; 06-27-2007, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

The best set of brad-points I have is a Bosch titanium set I got at HD (I don't remember the cost, but they weren't cheap). They have held up nicely and keep a nice edge (which is good, as my Drill Doctor does split-points, but not brad-points).

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a couple of sets of the HF 29-pc and while its not the greatest quality, the holes are the right size and the points are sharp. Not all the brad points are prefectly centered, though, close enough that they work OK. I bought a more expensive name brand 7-pc set with the most common sizes and use it most of the time.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bthere
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Alpharetta, GA

I got this set from Rockler awhile back when it was on sale for something under $20. It is pretty decent quality and has held up fairly well. I also have a small set of common sizes, around 7 bits if memory serves, that I tend to use more often.

Comment

• lcm1947
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Austin, Texas
                • BT 3100-1

God I can't believe I didn't notice that it said reduced. Sorry Greg. Well I went down to HF today and they do have a $15.97 -29pc set. I suppose this is the one. Looks OK but I don't suppose you can tell by looking if their any good or not. I just may have to try them though. I know the set I just bought from MCLS is fine on entry but boy the existing hole leaves a lot to be desired. Yes thanks I saw the Rockler ones but being only $34.97 I figure they'll be about like the ones I just bought except maybe have the reduced shacks so they are another option. I emailed Rockler asking them but no reply yet. As far as just a 7 pc set I thought about it but it seems like I use so many more then just that 7 - by far! I guess I could buy a 1/2" drill but heck for that kind of money might as well buy the Lee Valley set for $155.00. According to the review I read they were rated both the best and best value. Supposed to be excellent on entry hole, exist and chip clearing.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Mac,

I bought a set of these a few years ago from Garrett Wade and have been using them all the time. Really great for the price, at the time they were on sale for about $15.00. Even though they're seven bucks more, still a good deal.

The set they show looks slightly different (mine have a red box and they're black, but they probably? come from the same Chinese factory. Check them out, worth a look.

http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/...oductID=111011

Bruce

I also have a set of Fisch "Vortex" brad points, expensive as all get out, they come in a really nice wooden fitted box and I have yet to use them (only hade them for about 4 years now.
                  Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 02-18-2008, 02:10 PM.
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• lcm1947
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Austin, Texas
                    • BT 3100-1

Yes Bruce those Fisch Vortex are expensive. Actually I think the most expensive set. You haven't used them? People are funny that way. Saving them huh? Anyway thanks for the other recommendation. Boy those sure look like the Rockler ones. For all I know every set out there made in China are all the same. Maybe.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by lcm1947
                      God I can't believe I didn't notice that it said reduced. Sorry Greg. Well I went down to HF today and they do have a $15.97 -29pc set. I suppose this is the one. Looks OK but I don't suppose you can tell by looking if their any good or not. I just may have to try them though. I know the set I just bought from MCLS is fine on entry but boy the existing hole leaves a lot to be desired. Yes thanks I saw the Rockler ones but being only $34.97 I figure they'll be about like the ones I just bought except maybe have the reduced shacks so they are another option. I emailed Rockler asking them but no reply yet. As far as just a 7 pc set I thought about it but it seems like I use so many more then just that 7 - by far! I guess I could buy a 1/2" drill but heck for that kind of money might as well buy the Lee Valley set for $155.00. According to the review I read they were rated both the best and best value. Supposed to be excellent on entry hole, exist and chip clearing.
                      Existing hole or exiting hole?

You do know that drill RPM speed has a lot to do with hole quality?
                      http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ht=drill+speed
                      I'll repost the picture that's supposed to be in it tonight. (P.S. Done!)

If you need an exact hole size at times, then the 29-or 25-piece sets are what you need to have. But I'll venture to say that 90+ percent of the holes I drill are for dowel pins or screw clearance and then the 7-piece sets (and you can get them with cut down "silver-deming" shanks) with 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2 inch are good for that 90+% of the time.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-29-2007, 07:07 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lcm1947
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Austin, Texas
                        • BT 3100-1

Boy, Loring you do have eagle eyes. OK fine exiting holes. Happy? Well you do make a good point about how often most of them are used but still the others do come in handy at least every once in a while. And no I had no idea speed made any different in the quality of the hole. P.S. Thanks reminding me about that chart. Pretty interesting. I had seen it before and actually printed it off but forgot I had it until you mentioned it just now. It was buried but I dug it up and posted it on the wall this time. Out of sight, out of mind. Thanks. That's interesting about the B&D pilot hole bits. I guess those are similar to the DeWalt I've looked at a hundred times at HD for $59.99. I actually was going to go with them before I figured out that what I needed was brad bits. I have a heck of a hard time drilling in an exact spot so figured brad bits would help a lot and is the reason I'm bound and determined to get some.
                        Last edited by lcm1947; 06-29-2007, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Working...