X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djkert
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006

Help. Wood is warped

I have a few pieces of maple that I cut and have warped over 1/8". Can I just clamp them to a straight piece to get them to straighten out? if so, how long will that take?

Also, how much of a warp can glue straighten out. These pieces aren't particularly wide as they are 2 3/8". But I am worried about gluing them flush (they are rabbited) and them pulling away.

thanks,
    Dennis
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

wood glue is incredibly strong when applied along the grain edge to edge or face to face. In a proper glue joint, when the piece is broken, you will see the wood has split along some other place than the joint.

It will hold two boards together if they are slightly skewed but you clamp them to take out any gaps. But, No guarantees about where they'll be when you take the clamps off, other than they'll be together. They won't pull apart.

If they are slightly bowed and you clamp them so the bows are in opposite direction but you can pull then together and clamp to a bench that is strong and stout then there's a good chance that the resulting glued-up board will end up reasonably straight.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...