X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryA
    Established Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Tampa, FL, USA.

You guys aren't talking about this, are you: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=329601

Originally posted by steve-norrell
    I have two of these benches plus four cabinets. They are excellent with the following notations:

1. The cabinets are wheeled and THAT has proven to be very convenient.

2. The cabinets have only one shelf that can be installed in one of three positions around the middle of the cabinet.

3. I found it inconvenient reaching for 'stuff' at the back of the cabinets and installed slide-out shelves for the bottom. I am thinking about doing the same for a middle shelf.

4. The cabinets can be stacked by taking the wheels off and the wood top off of the one that will become the bottom cabinet.

5. In my application, the top of the workbench is close to, but not exactly equal to, the top of the BT3100.

Summary: a handy way to get a strong working surface and storage space all within in a footprint that is about 60" x 24".

Regards, Steve
    If so, what cabinets are you talking about Steve?
    Gary

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Watching the two most visible TV woodworkers can provide some insights into workbenches that might prove useful.

In the very first season of The New Yankee Workshop, Norm Abram built a plain-Jane version of a traditional European-style bench. He used it in every show over many years; but being primarily a power tool guy, he mostly used it as an assembly table and often had a partial sheet of plywood or Homasote laid atop it to increase the working area. I can recall very few shows in which he used the bench as an actual "woodworking" bench, in the traditional sense. About five years ago he apparently got tired of struggling with the thing and built his work table with retractable casters, which seems far better suited to his style of work.

David J Marks, OTOH, makes heavy use of his massive traditional bench. Various episodes of WoodWorks show a workpiece held by dogs and the end vise while he wields a card scraper or hand plane; and on almost every project he uses the end vise to hold his work for a routing or belt sanding job. DJM uses his bench more than Norm did largely because his torsion box assembly table has its top only about 24" off the floor. This works great for assembly, not so great for hand tool or power tool work, so most of his joinery work is done over at the traditional bench. It is situated off the left side of his Unisaw, where it serves as an "endfeed" support for long workpieces.

In my own shop, I have a DJM-style assembly table that is even lower than his -- just 18" above the floor -- due to the 7'-0" headroom in the building. As a result, I do most of my assembly work sitting down. I don't really have a workbench per se ... there are kitchen-like base cabinets at the rear wall, and there's the top of my router table, and there's the extension wing of my new cabinet saw. None of these are ideal as a workbench, so building one is a fairly high priority. What form it will take, exactly, I've not yet decided.
      Larry

Comment

• GaryA
        Established Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Tampa, FL, USA.

Originally posted by LarryG
        Watching the two most visible TV woodworkers can provide some insights into workbenches that might prove useful.

In the very first season of The New Yankee Workshop, Norm Abram built a plain-Jane version of a traditional European-style bench. He used it in every show over many years; but being primarily a power tool guy, he mostly used it as an assembly table and often had a partial sheet of plywood or Homasote laid atop it to increase the working area. I can recall very few shows in which he used the bench as an actual "woodworking" bench, in the traditional sense. About five years ago he apparently got tired of struggling with the thing and built his work table with retractable casters, which seems far better suited to his style of work.

David J Marks, OTOH, makes heavy use of his massive traditional bench. Various episodes of WoodWorks show a workpiece held by dogs and the end vise while he wields a card scraper or hand plane; and on almost every project he uses the end vise to hold his work for a routing or belt sanding job. DJM uses his bench more than Norm did largely because his torsion box assembly table has its top only about 24" off the floor. This works great for assembly, not so great for hand tool or power tool work, so most of his joinery work is done over at the traditional bench. It is situated off the left side of his Unisaw, where it serves as an "endfeed" support for long workpieces.

In my own shop, I have a DJM-style assembly table that is even lower than his -- just 18" above the floor -- due to the 7'-0" headroom in the building. As a result, I do most of my assembly work sitting down. I don't really have a workbench per se ... there are kitchen-like base cabinets at the rear wall, and there's the top of my router table, and there's the extension wing of my new cabinet saw. None of these are ideal as a workbench, so building one is a fairly high priority. What form it will take, exactly, I've not yet decided.

Larry - very insightful observation. The more I think about it, given the points that you guys have raised, I think that a traditional bench wouldn't be for me (I think I've just had it in my head that a woodshop has to have one). I really like Rod Kirby's adjustable assembly table: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=29517 (let me know if you guys know how I can get a hold of this article in Shopnotes #30 - looks like it might be a bit of work). I like that it could function as a lower assembly table, yet raise to accomodate a more comfortable working height (and maybe as TS infeed). Not sure how stable it would be. In fact with my space limitations, it would have to be more rectangular than square...
        Gary

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Try this...

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• steve-norrell
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • The Great Land - Alaska
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by GaryA
            You guys aren't talking about this, are you: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=329601

If so, what cabinets are you talking about Steve?
            They are the ones, although I got an earlier version that was being sold about a year or 18 months ago. I don't think the ones on sale today are as beefy as the earlier verion but I have not compared them side-by-side.

Here are two pictures:

Regards, Steve
            Last edited by steve-norrell; 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• gwyneth
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Bayfield Co., WI

The Workbench Book by Scott Landis. This one delves into the history of workbenches a bit more than the Schleining, and as I recall it doesn't include any plans.
              It has several, but tucked behind the index!

Another useful one, particularly if you find it cheap at Book Closeouts or used from an Amazon seller is "Workbenches and Shop Furniture" by Nick Engler. Beware that he's 'written' (i.e., re-arranged material) about a zillion books for several publishers and some have very similar titles. This one, unlike the magazine article or the Schleining and Landis books, has almost no theory but does have some well-done plans for benches and bench accessories, including some you probably wouldn't find elsewhere.

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by gwyneth
                It has several, but tucked behind the index!
                Okay, I stand corrected; thanks. I've spent a lot more time looking at The Workshop Book by the same author, and just couldn't remember.
                Larry

Comment

• gwyneth
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Bayfield Co., WI

Okay, I stand corrected; thanks. I've spent a lot more time looking at The Workshop Book by the same author, and just couldn't remember.
                  They may be between the glossary and the index, but wherever, it took me seven years and two copies before I stumbled on them...

Comment

Working...